SENATE BILL: Shut Yo Face Resolution (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 09:05:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Shut Yo Face Resolution (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Shut Yo Face Resolution (Passed)  (Read 3094 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 02, 2012, 08:42:10 PM »
« edited: September 22, 2012, 11:51:54 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: NC Yankee for a Constituent
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 09:02:26 PM »

This was requested by a constituent who requested to remain secret at the time. I personally find it a bit excessive, but the motivation is obviously to cut down on the irrelevant posting in the registration thread.

Would the Senators be interested in this in an altered form?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 10:40:06 PM »

I wont sign this attack on free speech in any form. Sorry.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 10:48:52 PM »

Yeah, I won't be voting for anything like this.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 11:24:09 PM »

The clutter from spam in the thread in question is getting irritating - especially since posters took to ignoring repeated instructions to send their messages via PM. I will support this legislation but only if the punishment is toned down considerably or, perhaps as a better alternative, any of the inappropriate new posts placed in the registration thread would be subject to immediate deletion by someone with the ability to do so.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 11:29:07 PM »

It would have to be Gustaf and he might object to his role as MG being expanded.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 11:43:25 PM »

Could another person be given moderating powers provided they use them in no other threads?
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 11:50:39 PM »

I thought I'd just pop in to say I support this bill. Imagine the following, you are sitting in your office and trying to process through your paperwork, but a crap load of it is just random notes saying "Hello!" or "Welcome!" making your job tougher.

This is not attacking free speech but simply making Homely's job easier. They can still welcome them, but not in that thread. Homely himself has asked people to welcome them somewhere else, only for the EXACT SAME PEOPLE to ignore his requests and do it again. And the then Homely kindly repeats his request, and then the same people ignore him again. This is not attacking free speech as no one is entitled to what equated to written terrorism of the the Register General's office.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 11:55:15 PM »
« Edited: September 02, 2012, 11:57:07 PM by Senator Scott »

Amendment:

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 12:02:27 AM »

Could another person be given moderating powers provided they use them in no other threads?

No, that is simply not possible under the software and only Dave can create new Moderators. And well he see he prefers not to have to bother with this forum much, and we prefer it that way and thus prefer not bother him to bother with it, if possible. In summary, it would be too much of a bother. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 12:15:47 AM »

Quote from: Restricted

Sponsor Feedback: Friendly
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 04:39:08 AM »
« Edited: September 03, 2012, 04:41:45 AM by Senator Sbane »

I support this and also the amendment proposed by Scott. Sure, this could be construed as an attack on free speech but I am looking at it practically. Homely has a pretty tough job and we should try and make it easier for him. Anyone who wants to welcome people, or argue, can use the other thread and let Homely do his job efficiently. Also maybe we should give have a grace period where we educate the populace or give everyone a waiver for their first couple of violations. Many people don't pay attention to the Senate and they might not know this law was passed.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 07:57:19 AM »

Please, not another stickied thread. Anything but another stickied thread.

If it makes it any better, I PMed Gustaf to ask him to unsticky my and 20RP12's threads.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 09:20:44 AM »

If the punishments are lowered significantly I could potentially support this.... but denying some one the right to vote for any amount of time is too heavy handed for this
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 10:00:45 AM »

It'd be a sad day if this bill were passed or signed into law. We can't seriously be debating barring players from holding office and voting when our activity levels are at historic lows. The Midwest is suffering through an activity-crisis, the Pacific is still struggling and we're debating whether or not we should be punishing players for being kind? I get that it's irritating and clutters up the threads, but this cannot be the response to it. There's got to be a different way to approach this issue.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 11:47:47 AM »

A couple things:
1. The penalties are way too drastic. I'm surprised anyone could actually support it in its original form, considering how it much it could hinder activity.
2. Welcoming folks to the game is the first step to getting them to stay active. While I'd agree that having 20 empty quotes welcoming one person to the game is ridiculous, if one or two folks welcome someone, I don't see the harm in that.
3. This is an attack on free speech, threatening to punish someone for welcoming another person to the game.
4. Even if you don't like the first three points, this shouldn't be passed unless MG Gustaf comments on it.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 12:05:55 PM »

Perhaps we should just remove the penalties and make this bill a condemnation of posting greetings in the New Register Thread?  I know that's probably not what the author of this bill had intended for, but I agree that the penalties in this bill are a little too harsh.  A "welcome wagon" thread should suffice.

It doesn't necessarily have to be stickied.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 02:45:14 PM »

The punishment for violating this act is probably a bit too severe, but we should at least condemn the act of cluttering the "New Register Thread". There were people in that thread who flat out ignored homely's and other people's repeated request not to post "Hi, welcome to the game" messages anymore. First of all, the same rules apply to everyone. Secondly, this was disrespectful towards homely, who is doing a great job both as Registrar General and election administrator, and we should make sure that this doesn't occur in the future anymore as long as homely or any other future RG does not want such messages to be posted.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 02:16:09 AM »

It'd be a sad day if this bill were passed or signed into law. We can't seriously be debating barring players from holding office and voting when our activity levels are at historic lows. The Midwest is suffering through an activity-crisis, the Pacific is still struggling and we're debating whether or not we should be punishing players for being kind? I get that it's irritating and clutters up the threads, but this cannot be the response to it. There's got to be a different way to approach this issue.

Keep in mind that such penalties are used to discourage sock voting and other activites that are barred by Atlasia law.

If the punishments are lowered significantly I could potentially support this.... but denying some one the right to vote for any amount of time is too heavy handed for this

What punishments would be more agreeable?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 02:23:32 AM »

The amendment has passed.

Perhaps we should just remove the penalties and make this bill a condemnation of posting greetings in the New Register Thread?  I know that's probably not what the author of this bill had intended for, but I agree that the penalties in this bill are a little too harsh.  A "welcome wagon" thread should suffice.

It doesn't necessarily have to be stickied.

Technically I am the author because I wrote the text out and even the title is my creation, but the terms were dictated to me. I personally wouldn't have a problem turning this into a Resolution of condmentation, but I would have to consult with the constituent as to whether I could accept it as friendly or not, since the terms are of his desire currently.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 05:16:59 AM »

Keep in mind that such penalties are used to discourage sock voting and other activites that are barred by Atlasia law.

Yes, but there's a difference between someone from sock voting or holding multiples offices with socks than barring someone from voting and holding office simply because they said 'welcome Smiley' or something along those lines. Like I said, I understand it clutters up the thread, but we can't be discouraging activity at a time like this.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 10:15:39 AM »

The goal of the bill shouldn't be to actually to catch people doing this and punishing them, but rather discouraging the behavior. Perhaps the penalties are too severe but what is the alternative? If it's just an admonition, I don't think it is going to work because these same people ignored Homely's request. People just need to learn to be more respectful and understand the tough and thankless job Homely has and if he asks you to make his job a little easier, you damn well better do it.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2012, 11:07:32 PM »

My silent constitutent has given us quite some latitude, including even turning this into a resolution if necessary with no penalties.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 11:11:47 PM »

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2012, 11:15:01 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies