PPP poll of Likely Voters in NC: Romney 48%, Obama 48%
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:40:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  PPP poll of Likely Voters in NC: Romney 48%, Obama 48%
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: PPP poll of Likely Voters in NC: Romney 48%, Obama 48%  (Read 2415 times)
MorningInAmerica
polijunkie3057
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: 0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 02, 2012, 11:13:46 PM »
« edited: September 02, 2012, 11:56:48 PM by MorningInAmerica »

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2012/09/nc-enters-convention-tied-up.html

It's not up on their website, but they've tweeted it

Obama - 48% (-1)
Romney - 48% (+2)

The number in parentheses represents the net change since PPP's last poll in early August, when Obama led Romney 49-46%. Pollster ratings show that PPP has been a bit of an outlier in NC (they're the only pollster in the last 2 months to show Obama with a lead in NC). Remember the chart below does NOT include the recent Elon poll showing Romney leading 47-43% in NC. http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/2012-north-carolina-president-romney-vs-obama

Kind of goes back to that whole house effect thing Nate Silver talks about: http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/22/calculating-house-effects-of-polling-firms/

Edited to add the party ID of this likely voter sample: 47%D, 34%R, 19%I, or D+13 (!).
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 11:15:25 PM »

To be quite fair, having a "house effect" doesn't actually mean a poll is biased or wrong. It just mean it differs from the mean of the polls. Of course, electoral reality may also differ from the mean of the polls.
MorningInAmerica
polijunkie3057
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 11:16:29 PM »

I wasn't implying it meant they were wrong. People are allowed to draw whatever conclusion they would like from PPP's consistent deviation from the average of polls.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 11:18:10 PM »

This isn't much of a deviation. It's basically the same as the two most recent polls-- the CNN/ORC poll, and the SurveyUSA poll. Both those polls have the race effectively tied and so does PPP. All three are within 1 point of each other, literally.
MorningInAmerica
polijunkie3057
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 11:19:33 PM »
« Edited: September 02, 2012, 11:25:37 PM by MorningInAmerica »

I agree that this poll isn't that big of a deviation. Their last 2 NC polls were though.

Edited to say don't forget that the pollster chart in my original post of NC polls does NOT include the Elon University poll out today showing Romney with a 4 pt NC lead, 47-43%.
pa2011
Rookie
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 11:28:52 PM »

The last PPP poll was taken a week before Romney picked Ryan. So, after the VP pick and the GOP convention, the race remains essentially tied. Again, don't expect Obama to carry North Carolina again. But Romney really needs something to take it off the swing state list. Cause if its this close in North Carolina, safe to assume Obama still holds a a few point  lead in Virginia. 
MorningInAmerica
polijunkie3057
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 11:30:00 PM »

There's this tweet from PPP polls:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 11:34:27 PM »

Wasn't Mitten's favorables already positive in NC?
MorningInAmerica
polijunkie3057
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 11:41:09 PM »

Wasn't Mitten's favorables already positive in NC?

In their last NC poll from August 5th, it was 42/50%, so -8 pts. Guessing it will be somewhere around. I'm guessing it will be around 46/47%.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 11:44:14 PM »

Maybe it was different polling firm, but I remembered someone having him positive in NC.

I also remember PPP had him at 29% favorability a firm months ago in NC.
MorningInAmerica
polijunkie3057
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 11:47:43 PM »

It's up on their site now.

Romney's favs are up:
Favorable: 47 (+5)
Unfavorable: 48% (-2)

Obama's job rating:
Approve: 48% (-)
Disapprove: 50% (+1)

Party ID of this LIKELY VOTER poll is D+13. It was D+11 in the record breaking Democratic year of 2008, and was R+1 in 2004.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 11:59:51 PM »

I highly doubt we'll carry NC again this year, but at least I have solace knowing Romney still hasn't taken it off the battleground map.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 12:03:16 AM »

I highly doubt we'll carry NC again this year, but at least I have solace knowing Romney still hasn't taken it off the battleground map.

I think that the chances of carrying the state again this year are great. Obama is in a better position there even compared with 2008 and the convention will provide a big turnout boost for the Obama base. Plus: Black and Hispanic registration is UP compared with 2008. So, it looks like the ground game by the Obama campaign is really solid in the state.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 12:20:10 AM »

Mitt Romney can't win without North Carolina. But considering that it has gone for the Democratic nominee only twice since 1964 it's at least R+3. If the state is a statistical tie, then Romney loses the Presidential election.   
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 12:34:35 AM »

If NC is this close going into election day, it means Obama wins Virginia early and forces Romney to win  FL, WI, and IA. Yes all 3
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 01:01:31 AM »

I wasn't implying it meant they were wrong. People are allowed to draw whatever conclusion they would like from PPP's consistent deviation from the average of polls.

Since when does "average of polls" equal to "correct"?
MorningInAmerica
polijunkie3057
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 01:04:59 AM »

Again, where did I say that? If you put quotes around a word, then you should be able to show me where I said that, right? In fact, I'm saying the exact OPPOSITE OF that. Read the red bolded part carefully.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 01:17:28 AM »

So either Romney is ahead by 4 nationally according to Rasmussen or tied in NC according to PPP.

Both cant be true.

Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2012, 06:56:23 AM »

So either Romney is ahead by 4 nationally according to Rasmussen or tied in NC according to PPP.

Both cant be true.

It could be, North Carolina is changing very fast.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 08:08:45 AM »

D+13 and Obama is only tied.

That's not encouraging for him at all.

Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2012, 09:06:58 AM »

Actually, it is.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2012, 09:45:32 AM »

D +11 in 2008.  Going to be a less Democratic electorate, but North Carolina is trending away from the Republicans.  So... yea, not too much of a deviation, but it just means that Romney +4 poll is probably about right. 
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2012, 11:33:24 PM »

The GOP never did grap a majority of the registered voters like in GA and other southern states during the 1980's-2000's reallignment. You got a huge swath of populist McCain/Perdue Democrats in the rural areas, and then a bunch of moderate Democrats and Indies in the cities and suburbs that voted Obama/McCrory. Then of course you got the 42%-44% of the vote that appears to be the solid Democratic base. Some of those Obama/McCrory voters were moderate, torie type Republicans scared off by Sarah Palin and the economic crash, they will slide back to Romney. In exchange he will lose some of the populists because he is evul, rich, businessman. The big question is how big are each of those two groups and what turnout will look like.
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 09:02:40 AM »

Again, where did I say that? If you put quotes around a word, then you should be able to show me where I said that, right? In fact, I'm saying the exact OPPOSITE OF that. Read the red bolded part carefully.

Then don't use the deviation from the average of polls to say that PPP leans Dem.
MorningInAmerica
polijunkie3057
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2012, 09:21:52 AM »

Then don't use the deviation from the average of polls to say that PPP leans Dem.

Say what? You do know that that's what the standard deviation from the average of polls shows...that PPP leans Dem compared to other pollsters. So why can't I say that?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies