Sam Spade's "Fresh Start for District 4" Campaign Tour
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:55:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Sam Spade's "Fresh Start for District 4" Campaign Tour
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sam Spade's "Fresh Start for District 4" Campaign Tour  (Read 1722 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 25, 2005, 06:38:11 PM »

First stop:

January 26, 2005
(San Antonio, Texas – The Alamo)

The "Road to Citizenship" Plan

Ladies and gentlemen, friends and supporters all, I stand out here today in front of the Alamo where nearly 170 years, Texans and Mexicans fought together to keep the murderous tyrant Santa Anna from continuing his bloodthirsty march through the heart of Texas to regain control of his empire.  Today, I come not to speak of a threat from empires, but of the bonds and ties between Atlasians, Texans and Mexicans and all immigrants that have governed our history so prominently and that have brought our country forward to the seat of power and influence it holds today.

My first words on this campaign trip will deal with this time-honored Atlasian vision, that of an immigration-powered society.  Immigration in this present day has as much to do with security and economics as it does with culture and society.  To ignore one facet entirely, is to ignore entirely the developments the last generation have thrust upon us.

Yesterday, Presidential candidate Kemperor weighed in on this issue with support for legalizing all Mexican immigration.  While I support the spirit of his ideas, in the present immigration system this initiative would only lead to a catastrophe.  This does not mean that I oppose a strong and vibrant immigration; it is the lifeblood and soul of our nation.  I want anyone who wants to come to this country to be free to work, develop and grow in their own way.  But in order for Kemperor’s ideas to work, certain rules must be created to make immigrants and employers play by Atlasia’s laws, not their own.  I have two fundamental concerns that I will address in my Road to Citizenship plan. My first concern has to do with security.

In recent days and months we have seen attempts by terrorists to cross our borders though Mexico and other countries of origin illegally, and cause harm to our citizens, cities and our people.  No matter how good the intentions of most of our immigrants, our government cannot stand by and let these particularized threats to our national security go unhindered.  My immigration plan will forthwith increase the number of border agents by 3,000 a year for at least the next three years, and an increase by at least 1,000 a year for at least the next three years in inspectors, detention and removal officers and the like.  It will also increase the penalties for visa and passport violations as well.

But this is not my only concern with the process of legalizing Mexican immigration.  Economic issues play a great part in this as well.  Millions of immigrants (both illegal and legal) come to Atlasia every year and most, if not all of them come for our better jobs, better standards of living and the great things that Atlasia has to offer.  To those right-wing nativists and xenophobes, I say that the greatest security system in the world will not stop their migration to Atlasia and I would never want that security system to exist anyway.

Economically, under my Road to Citizenship plan, what I will propose is a guest worker initiative that will do three things:  eliminate the underground employment world for employers by strictly enforcing employment laws and increasing penalties and fines, create a national database system whereby any present undocumented worker or any person who wishes to work and immigrate to Atlasia can register and find work through employers, and thirdly (the most important in my mind) reward those who choose to go through this system with enhanced opportunities at getting Green Cards and being put on the fast track to becoming legalized citizens of Atlasia.

By choosing to create a system where lawabiders who wish to work and become part of our country are rewarded and those who choose to disobey the laws are punished, we can open the doors to legalizing all immigration without the fears of creating masses of unaccounted, migrant immigrants working underground at slave labor prices.  Plus, we will free up our newly enhanced Border Patrol forces to go and search for those terrorists who wish to sneak through our borders and attack Atlasia from within.

If elected Senator, this will be the first issue and plan I will pursue, and I will work with my fellow Senators and the future President of Atlasia to make these ideas become a reality.  Tomorrow, I will be in Hot Springs, Arkansas to discuss my energy plans and ideas to create a “fresh start” for Atlasia.  Thank you and good day.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 06:40:06 PM »

SAM! SAM! SAM! SAM!
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 06:46:54 PM »

Thank you, soon-to-be Secretary King.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 09:48:39 PM »

bump (more to come later or tomorrow)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005, 08:49:55 PM »

bump (speech will begin in a few minutes)...

for media circuits:  The Hot Springs speech has been moved to next Monday.  In its place, Mr. Spade will speaking from the Nissan plant in Canton, MS about the virtues of free trade.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005, 08:50:57 PM »

Second stop:

January 28, 2005
(Canton, MS - Nissan Assembly Plant)

"A Free Trade Supporter Both Near and Far"

Ladies and gentlemen, today I have come to Canton, Mississippi to visit the Nissan Assembly Plant that was built on these fair Southern grounds a little less than two years ago.  This plant is the model of what combined American and Japanese ingenuity can do and has provided many jobs and a higher stardard of living to those in these surrounding areas.

I have also come to make a speech about the necessity of free and freer trade in the global economy and Atlasia's place in this burgeoning economic system that we call "globalization".

Less than a few weeks ago, a belligerent and protectionist Senate appeared close to passing the repeal of the NAFTA agreement between Mexico, Canada and the US, an agreement which has brought many jobs and industries alike to District 4.  I, along with fellow District 4 citizen ThePrezMex and our wonderful Governor Ernest, implored the Senate not to pass such a horrible act to our economy and found two willing moderate Senators, Gabu and WMS, who openly understood our concerns and voted their consciences.

It is with that energy I promise to you, District 4 citizens, that if elected Senator, I will not only uphold NAFTA, but I will also strengthen it and strengthen our bonds with our fellow neighbors to the North and South. 

What do I mean by strengthening NAFTA?  It means that I believe that NAFTA is far from perfect in its present condition right now.  The gravest of my concerns have to do with the often open flaunting of our environmental laws by traders between Mexico and the United States.  If elected Senator, I promise to enact legislation to strengthen the environmental rules adhered to by both countries in the NAFTA agreement and to increase the penalties against violators of these laws.

Free trade has also suffered a blow in our present PBrunsel administration by the constant trade wars and gradual disintegration of relations with China.  As Senator, I will welcome renewed and vigorous free trade with the Chinese and will oppose the continued protectionist bent of certain Senators from West Virginia (not naming names).  Instead of open confrontation with the Chinese Communists, I believe that we can best create a system for reform by opening their minds and hearts to the importance of liberty and freedom in a economically growing society.

It is with this idea in mind that I present the third and probably most controversial idea in the advancement of free trade for Atlasia and for the world.  In the upcoming few years, Atlasia will be faced with a major crisis separate of the War on Terror, one which will probably erupt into a major civil war within our midst.  The situation I am describing has to do with the inevitable death of Fidel Castro and the probable disintegration of the regime presently there in place.  If the Castro regime disintegrates from top to bottom, I have no doubt that civil war will erupt between those Cubans who stayed in Cuba and those who have fled to the US and that’s a situation that no one here wants.

For this reason, I will propose to the Senate that we re-open negotiations with Fidel Castro and the Cuban government and if he is open to liberalizing some of his repressive rules, we should definitely re-open trade with his nation.  I do this not because I support him one bit, but because I believe that unless we do so, this catastrophic civil war I outlined above will come to fruition.

In order for these negotiations to work, the Cuban government must be willing to give a little and Atlasia must be willing to give a little also.  If Castro will not give in, we will certainly not give in.  But I say this:  45 years of the continual sanctions and stalemate between us and Cuba have brought us nowhere towards bringing down Fidel Castro or liberalizing the repressive regime of Cuba.  Only free trade, free ideas and the promise and hope of a better way of life will bring liberty and freedom to those shores only 90 miles away from the beautiful Florida Keys.

Thank you all and I look forward to speaking with you on Monday from wonderful Hot Springs, Arkansas about my ideas for a “Independent Energy Plan for Atlasia”.

(applause)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2005, 02:31:31 AM »

Official Sam Spade response to George W. Bush speech in Orlando, Florida tonight:

Quote #1
You must be logged in to read this quote.

First off, I announced that I would run because of some of the things that StatesRights implied about me and others for my beliefs on a "certain issue", some words that I thought were uncalled for in this forum. 

Link.

Then, going back to what I originally said when I switched to the Union party...

Link.

To me, his statements about me and certain others for holding this belief made me believe that I could no longer support him and that I needed to run myself, to provide a "fresh start" for District 4.

Quote #2

Mr. Bush, my opinion on this issue has nothing to do with indecisiveness.  It has rather to do with my decisiveness and fundamental belief in the Constitutional doctrine of those powers not belonging to the federal government belonging to the regions and the regions only.

Nearly all social issues fall under that definition and that definition to me is strict and absolute.  Social laws govern a community, they are its guidelines for life.  Though I wish to be a voice, an active voice in this community against abortion, I do not wish to be a dictator in people's private lives and tell them what to believe and how to act.  And neither should the federal government. 

If we are all good people and we all active as a community in our Region, I personally believe we will come to understanding with regards to these issues and enact dutiful laws which we can all agree to and respect.

Quote 3:

First off, my personal beliefs aside, the homosexual issue has been settled in Atlasia.  I respect the people's decision, even though I do not agree with it, and I promise to the people of District 4 that if elected I will not pursue any law or amendment to change the laws with regards to homosexual rights as they presently stand in the current Constitution (or any future ones).

Second, I refuse to see how Al's "Let's turn everything back to 1920" Urban Regeneration Bill will help any struggling families or pull anyone from poverty.  Add to that the fact that it is purposely vague and leaves great control to federal bureaucrats with regards to tax money.

There are many good and growing cities and industries in the South and District 4 that would be greatly hurt by passage of this bill because the phrase "promoting industries of historical importance" would translate to sharecropping or slavery or something else even more terrible than that in Al's distorted worldview.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2005, 09:13:30 PM »

Gathering this and other information, I am deciding to pledge my support for Sam Spade for District 4 Senate.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2005, 09:19:05 PM »

Thank you very much for your support, Preston.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2005, 08:38:31 PM »

Third stop:

January 31, 2005
(Hot Springs – Hot Springs National Park)

"An Independent Energy Plan for Atlasia"

Ladies and gentlemen, friends and onlookers, I want to wish y’all a wonderful last day of January and welcome all of you to the beautiful Hot Springs National Park.  On these over 5,000 acres overlooking Hot Springs Mountain, our dear Lord and God provided us in his infinite wisdom these wonderful geothermal springs which have relaxed the aches and pains of weary travelers on their journeys near and far.

I come here today on my “Fresh Start” for District 4 tour to give the citizens of these fair Southern lands yet another plan for the future of Atlasia, my “Independent Energy Plan for Atlasia.”

Today, Atlasia has to import over half of its energy needs from other countries, placing us at risk from tyrants and terrorists far, far away.  Why put our security and the safety and well-being of every citizen of Atlasia in the hands of some faraway dictator?  Our energy plans must delegitimize this unique threat to Atlasia in the present day and must put faith in our greatest natural resource: the creative mind and soul of every Atlasian.

A few months ago, Atlasia’s Senate put together a “Clean Energy Bill” which addressed the needs of the future fairly well.  It is my intention to propose adding on to the wisdom of that bill and providing more tax incentives and funding for research for the technologies of the future.  But I will get to that in just a second; first I will address the issue that the writers of that bill failed to address in their infinite wisdom.  That is, the needs of the present.

As I mentioned earlier, Atlasia has to import over half of its energy needs from other countries.  Because of instability in the Middle East, the continued negative attitude of Venezuela and the growth of the Chinese energy consumption, we cannot just wait for these research moneys of the future to fulfill their potential.  We must attack this problem now.

The first part of my energy plan consists of three major ideas to deal with energy problems in the present.  First, I will propose to open up the Alaskan National Wildlife Refuge to drilling.  Opening up this area for drilling will also provide much-needed jobs and economic stimulation for the Northern part of the Pacific region.  This is albeit, only a temporary solution, but it will wean us off of Middle East oil for a while until new technologies come to the forefront and become economically feasible.

Second, I wish to make it easier for coal, natural gas and nuclear power plants to open up in this country to provide energy for the citizenry as a whole.  The various blackouts of the past few years in California and the Northeast sections of the country have shown us the danger of not having enough power plants when the need for them is ridiculously great. 

Third, I wish to see more money invested into hybrid technologies and incentives given for energy conservation.  As we transition from energy production based upon the old resources of the past, like coal, oil and other fossil fuels to the new resources of the future, hybrid technologies provide us an economically feasible and cleaner alternative to the past models.  Incentives for energy conservation conserve our own resources, promote a reduction in wasteful energy habits and make it much more possible for us to be less dependent on foreign sources.

But these are only my plans for the present.  The “Independent Energy Plan for Atlasia” also looks towards the future of Atlasia, whether it be 10, 25, 50 or 100 years.  Whenever this time arrives, fossil fuels will not be as common and a need for renewable alternatives that are economically feasible to the economy of Atlasia will be of the utmost importance. 

It is with this in mind that I will promote tax incentives and funding for research and development in the renewable energy field, so that whichever forms of renewable energy production that will emerge as economically feasible, whether they be solar, wind, geothermal, like here at Hot Springs, or any other, will be led by the best and brightest minds of Atlasia and that we in Atlasia will be at the forefront of their development.  It is my firm and honest belief that those who control energy production and development of new energies in the future will be at the forefront of the world and I believe that Atlasia should lead that charge, fresh, renewed, and as Mike Naso would say, “full of vigor and decisiveness!!”

Thank you, citizens of District 4.  Tomorrow, I will be in Memphis, Tennessee, the capital of the Southeast Region to discuss a topic near and dear to my heart, that of “Regional Rights”.

(applause)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2005, 10:03:28 PM »

Bump.  Speech will be delayed until Thursday because of other pressing concerns.
Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2005, 10:25:05 PM »

I'm going to add my two cents and say that Sam would make an excellent Senator.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2005, 10:34:52 PM »

I'm going to add my two cents and say that Sam would make an excellent Senator.

Thank you very much for your kind words, Lawrence.
Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2005, 10:36:52 PM »

Your welcome. Best of luck in your race and on your tour.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2005, 01:44:42 AM »

Strategic bump.  Another speech coming tomorrow on my own personal favorite issue, "Regional Rights" from Memphis, Tennessee.  Smiley
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2005, 07:01:30 PM »

Fourth stop:

Feburary 3, 2005
(Memphis, Tennessee – Regional Capital)

"A Defender of Regional Rights”

Ladies and gentleman, I am honored and pleased to speak to y’all tonight from the beautiful capital of this fair Southeastern Region here in beautiful Memphis, Tennessee.  I am here today not to tell you what I will propose to do as Senator of the District 4, but what I will not propose to do and what I will not propose to interfere with.  That is, ladies and gentlemen, our God-given Regional Rights and Powers represented by the citizens of this District!

On the shores of the wide and mighty Mississippi, many moons ago, those who founded this great nation placed their sincere beliefs and ideals in the concept of limited federal government, government that would be limited by the powers of the people and their voice in their States and Regions.  In the Southeast, that principle has been cherished by many great men, from Thomas Jefferson to Andrew Jackson, to John Calhoun, all the way to this present day.

Right now in office, we have one of those men who follows in this tradition of liberty and freedom with his heart and mind, our wonderful Gov. Ernest.  In his stewardship as governor of the Southeast Region, we have seen the foundation laid for a regional government that can represent the beliefs and ideas of those citizens within it.  As Senator, I promise to work with Gov. Ernest to ensure that those powers belonging to the Regions stay with the Regions and that Federal and Judicial institutions will not abrogate or usurp these powers outside of their own jurisdiction.

Over a year ago, the Supreme Court of Atlasia laid down a ruling in Fritz v. Ernest that forever shaped the direction of Atlasia’s history.  With one fell swoop, the Federal government lost its authority to dictate social change to the citizenry of Atlasia and the Regions became the building blocks of future growth.  As governors like Ernest in the Southeast, Peter Bell in the Mid-East, Ilikeverin in the Midwest, Wildcard in the Pacific, and Mas117 in the Northeast draw up distinct rules and constitutions, pass initiatives and get the citizenry of Atlasia more involved in their own affairs, the federal government can return to its traditional role of defending and protecting Atlasia, laying down taxes and tariffs, regulating commerce

It is with that I say that I will forever defend the rights of the Regions in Atlasia and will do everything in my power, if elected Senator, to further this inherent strength!

On the issues, this means I believe that the regions and the citizens represented within those regions should always have priority in governing themselves over social issues.  To often in our country, these rights have been doled out to us by courts and lawmakers without any respect to the wishes and desires of her people.  On issues like abortion, like drug crimes, like concealed weapons rights and many other things, these fractious issues are made even more fractious by the arrogance of politicians and judges taking matters into their own hands and legislating onto people what they can and cannot do.

It is my firm belief that the Regions and their citizens can talk openly about these issues, develop compromises that all can agree with and put their principles into Regional legislation or initiatives that will satisfy all interested parties and heal the divisiveness that so often characterizes federal actions on people’s lives.

If elected Senator I promise to you, the citizens of District 4, that one of my first goals as a “Fresh Start” for our district will be to heal the divisiveness that so often plagues our discussions and affairs and a promise, which I will elaborate on tomorrow, to always be a “Citizen Senator” who responds and listens to the needs of his community and anyone and everyone who resides here regardless of party or ideology.

Together with all these things, ladies and gentlemen, we can build a better Atlasia and make our children have a brighter and more wonderful future.

Tomorrow, I will be returning home to Baton Rouge, LA to discuss my thoughts on Atlasia’s new Constitution, my own beliefs as to how I wish to interact with constitutents if elected and general Forum Affairs issues.  Thank you and God bless.

(applause)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2005, 02:31:48 PM »

Fifth stop:

February 6, 2005
(Baton Rouge – Capitol Building)

"A Citizen for the Citizens of District 4”

Ladies and gentleman, today on the last day of my campaign tour through District 4, I return to my humble surroundings, the beautiful and wonderful city of Baton Rouge, Louisiana.  Here I wish to give my final speech introducing my plans for a “Fresh Start for District 4” that will bring our district much needed change and development in Nyman.

For the past few weeks, delegates in Nyman have been drafting much-needed changes to the old Constitution, changes that will help Atlasia grow and prosper in the coming years.  In the same way we need a new voice from District 4, someone who will not belong to the stale, old, reactionary doctrines of the past, but instead someone who can make District 4 shine as a beacon of light to the rest of Atlasia.

In my first advertisement, I described myself as being a “Regular Joe”, someone who belongs to the community of Atlasians more than he belongs to the cynicism of government in Nyman.  If elected Senator I promise to you, the citizens of District 4, that I will never forget my roots and I will always hold the people of District 4 more dear than any politician.

District 4 has often been called an inactive District from the inside-the-Beltway crowd, and I mean to change that.  If elected Senator, I will start a “Public Forum for District 4” thread on the elections page that any and all citizens of District 4 can respond to.  In this way, I will endeavor to keep touch with my community at all times. 

If y’all have questions with regards to votes that I have made or opinions you wish to give on my votes, I will answer them.  I will also post at the top of the thread the current legislation up for vote and which way I am leaning towards voting on said legislation.

If y’all have ideas for bills or ideas for legislation that you wish to bring forth to the Senate, I will be happy to work out the details of your plan in specifics and what else.  Even if I don’t agree with it, I will endeavor to bring your bill forth to the Senate so that it might be viewed on by other Senators.  Even the best of Senators does not always come up with the best of plans with regards to legislation.  I recognize that, and therefore wish to get citizens involved at all levels of government.

But most importantly, this “Public Forum” will keep y’all in touch with me at all times and ensure that you have a Senator who will be beholden to your interests, not to the interest of the Inside-the-Beltway crowd in Nyman. 

I should also say that if the other excellent Senator of this District, WMS, wishes to join me on this “Public Forum” thread, he is always welcome to post and help however he sees fit.  Having two voices for the common people is always better than one.  (laughter)

Finally, ladies and gentlemen, I wish to bring something of my mind that I have been thinking about for a while and care about deeply. 

At present, there are a number of young, fresh faces in District 4 and I am sure that if elected Senator, many more will appear on their heels during my time in Senate.  They, much like I once was, are getting their political legs freshened and soon will be on the cusp of attaining political office.  They will being new ideas themselves and a new voice to the political life of Atlasia and they should certainly never be silenced or tossed aside for the familiar old ramblings of a voice that has long lost its radiant timbre.

It is with this thought in mind that I pledge to the people of District 4 that if I am elected Senator, I will only serve two terms in the Senate from this District, no more.

This is not because I am a huge believer in term limits; in fact I think they are terrible controls upon the democracy and freedom of the people.  But I do think it is necessary that we give these new voices a chance to ring through District 4 and the rest of Atlasia and after I have served my time in the Senate and gotten the legislation through that I believe in, I will move on to someplace else, always hoping and always striving to serve District 4 and Atlasia better, at all costs.

Thank you and good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen.  May y’all have a wonderful time watching the Super Bowl this evening and may God bless each and every one of you.

(applause)
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2005, 03:14:49 PM »

Fifth stop:

February 6, 2005
(Baton Rouge – Capitol Building)
"A Citizen for the Citizens of District 4”
I should also say that if the other excellent Senator of this District, WMS, wishes to join me on this “Public Forum” thread, he is always welcome to post and help however he sees fit.  Having two voices for the common people is always better than one.  (laughter)

I'll do what I can, even if it'll probably be me responding to the libertarian duo of Jake and Dibble...

"How could you vote that way?! We hate government!"

"And when did I ever say I was one of you?!"

*snarl* *snap*

Grin
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2005, 03:49:53 PM »
« Edited: February 06, 2005, 04:00:29 PM by Senate Candidate Sam Spade »

What is it they say? 

"If you can't stand the heat, get out of the oven."

Wink
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2005, 03:53:47 PM »

CAN IT BE??? Smiley Wink Cool

YES!!! YES!!! SMILEYS ARE BACK!!!
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2005, 04:01:50 PM »

CAN IT BE??? Smiley Wink Cool

YES!!! YES!!! SMILEYS ARE BACK!!!

YES THEY ARE!!!!

Smiley
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2005, 08:52:22 PM »

What is it they say? 

"If you can't stand the heat, get out of the oven."

Wink

Ouch! It's sweltering here in D4... Cheesy
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2005, 08:36:20 PM »

bumped for any undecided D4 voters. (if there are any)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies