US With British Parties
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:07:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  International What-ifs (Moderator: Dereich)
  US With British Parties
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Author Topic: US With British Parties  (Read 41388 times)
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2012, 05:49:27 PM »

And Alabama votes like the Home Counties.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2012, 08:12:19 PM »

I'm liking this so far!

Although I've raised a few eyebrows over some state voting history.

United Kingdom Independence Party (UKIP) [United States Independence Party (USIP)] - Would be a broad church of the Tea Party, libertarians and conservative Republicans (Michele Bachmann, Newt Gingrich, Rick Santorum, Ron Paul and so on)

You sure on this one? Santorum/Bachmann/Gingrich, sure, but Paul doesn't really attract the same kind of supporters nor appeal to the same demographics politically (I don't really see anyone who can be described as libertarian supporting censorship, as Bachmann/Santorum do). Other than that, it's great.

The problem is Paul, and libertarianism in general, is not sponsored by any British political party. He could barely fit in the fringe of the Conservative Party, see Dan Hannan, but otherwise there is no home for Paulites. (Although there is an abundance of Ron Paul fans at the Tory grassroots level)

From what I know of British politics, he'd either be in the Conservative Party fringes, or in the UKIP (but he wouldn't really share a space with a Bachmann/Santorum), or in the Lib Dems (like myself).

Yeah. Paul is a bit of dilemma. While on issues such as ID cards, civil liberties and some economic fronts he could fit in UKIP, on foreign policy, defence and immigration, he is way off the mark. UKIP want 40% more of the budget spent on the military and a five year immigration freeze for instance.

The Conservative Party could accommodate Paul's economic views, on its fringes, though that's it. On social issues, defence, foreign policy, immigration, everything other than the economy, he is off the Conservative Party radar. While you can get right-libertarians at the base level they usually differ with Paul in that they're very neo-conservative on foreign policy.

Paul would never fit in the Liberal Democrats. The only issue I can see them seeing eye to eye on are civil liberties and defence, everything else is a no-no. The Lib Dems have a 'left-libertarian' faction, though this is more a case of drug legalization, privacy, internet freedom mixed with an increased role for the government in economic policy.
I went to a speech by Lembit Opik (former Liberal MP) and he proudly proclaimed he was a libertarian, all pro-drugs, anti-war etc, then slated the coalition for 'cutting spending on social services'. I lol'd. Tongue

He would fit in a treat with the Libertarian Party (UK).

Paul might be a hard politician to put into a party, but he's a Republican in the US, yet is significantly different to most Republicans out there. Also, if you read my USIP description, you'll notice these words, as highlighted in bold:

United Kingdom Independence Party (UKIP) [United States Independence Party (USIP)] - Would be a broad church of the Tea Party, libertarians and conservative Republicans (Michele Bachmann, Newt Gingrich, Rick Santorum, Ron Paul and so on).

The fact that USIP would be a broad church in the US is more than enough to fit Paul into that party, over the Tories or Lib Dems, if you ask me. Certainly a better fit than the Tories, which are dominated by the likes of Romney, Huntsman and Christie, or Rick Perry's Texan National Party.
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2012, 09:03:57 PM »

I would also like to state that I aim to have New York up in the next few days. As it is a large state, it will take a bit longer to analyze.
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2012, 09:53:47 PM »
« Edited: June 10, 2013, 06:49:26 AM by Reagan and Thatcher's Long Lost Son »

Sorry for the delay, but here's New York's entry:

New York City proper –
•   The Bronx – Since the middle of the 19th century, The Bronx has seen many waves of immigration, including Europeans, Jews, and more recently, Latinos and African Americans. A large immigrant population, in conjunction with the poverty experienced through much of the 20th century, although things have begun to improve since the 1980s, makes the Bronx a Labor-voting borough, one of Labor’s best places in the nation. The rise of Respect in recent years has threatened Labor in parts, though.
•   Brooklyn – Much like the Bronx, Brooklyn has been home to immigrants of all ethnicities over the years, in addition to people from elsewhere in the US. This indicates another safe Labor borough in New York City. Brooklyn does contain a number of small businesses, however, which indicates a higher Tory vote than in the Bronx. I think Respect would do slightly worse and the Lib Dems slightly better as well.
•   Manhattan – The wealthiest of the five boroughs, indeed, one of the wealthiest counties in the United States. Manhattan consists of downtown New York City, and contains Tory-voting Wall Street bankers, Lib Dem and Green voters in Chelsea, home of Manhattan’s gay and arts communities, and ethnic neighbourhoods including Chinatown, Harlem and Alphabet City, containing sizeable Labor votes, although significantly smaller than in the Bronx and Brooklyn, especially since the gentrification of some of these neighbourhoods. The white collar dominance in the area means that Manhattan would likely be a Tory-Lib Dem borough. I think the Lib Dems would have won here in 2010, with the Tories doing better in the 1980s and before.
•   Queens – The most ethnically diverse area in the world, with 138 languages spoken and over 100 ethnicities represented. Extensive private and public sector employment exists in Queens, with a large number of small businesses like Brooklyn. The large ethnic population would indicate a large Labor vote, although I can see the Lib Dems and Respect doing well in some parts. The Tories could do well in a good year in Queens as well, as evidenced by its swing characteristics in mayoral elections.
•   Staten Island (Richmond) – The whitest (64% in 2010) and most conservative borough in New York City. Not as wealthy as Manhattan, but still wealthier than Queens, the Bronx and Brooklyn. Staten Island would be reliably Tory, except in their bad years like 1997.
New York City metropolitan area (New York state contents only, Connecticut’s section has already been covered, New Jersey’s and Pennsylvania’s will be covered under those respective states’ sections) –
•   Remainder of Long Island (Nassau and Suffolk Counties) – Strong for the Tories, although there has been a slow drift to Labor and the Lib Dems, particularly the latter, in the past 20-25 years.
•   Lower Hudson Valley (Putnam, Rockland and Westchester Counties) – Very affluent area, much like southwest Connecticut. Labor would have a very low vote here, with the Tories (Putnam) and Lib Dems (Westchester has trended Lib Dem over the past 20 years) battling it out. Rockland would be a swinging Tory-LD county.
Remainder of the state:
•   Albany – Albany, New York’s capital, has a high number of public service workers, in addition to being home to many immigrants since the 1840s. The city of Albany would be a Labor stronghold, although some suburbs would be better for the Tories.
•   Buffalo – Inner Buffalo is home to a significant black community, and has a base in industry, although this has waned over the past half-a-century or so. Buffalo’s inner city would be another Labor bastion, as would much of its metropolitan area, including Niagara County. Parts of Buffalo would be Tory areas though, signified by Republican control of Erie County’s executive between 2000 and 2012.
•   Rochester – Much like Buffalo and Albany, Rochester is another old industrial, Labor voting city with a high minority population.
•   Remainder of Western New York – Has a slight Labor lean, would have had a slight Tory lean until the early 1990s.
•   North Country and Adirondacks – A fairly conservative area, the northern parts of New York would generally vote Tory, although Labor would have done well here in years like 1966 and 1997.

Overall, I think New York would have been a swing state in the past, but has since trended Labor, as signified by Labor’s 1992 and 2010 victories here.

Here's how New York would have voted in elections from 1945 onwards:

1945: Labor
1950: Labor
1951: Labor
1955: Conservative
1959: Conservative
1964: Conservative
1966: Labor
1970: Labor (a very narrow win though)
February 1974: Labor
October 1974: Labor
1979: Conservative
1983: Conservative
1987: Conservative
1992: Labor
1997: Labor
2001: Labor
2005: Labor
2010: Labor

EDIT: Changed 1951 result to Labor.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2012, 11:01:14 PM »

Keen to see how the South and the West vote.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2012, 10:53:03 AM »

Most of the Southern states would probably be either Tory/USIP tossups or USIP/ANP ones.  There'd be Labor pockets of support among the black working class in South Carolina and Atlanta, and in black neighborhoods in Alabama and Mississippi.  I suppose New Orleans might also be Labour, while the white population there would probably be split between the Torries, USIP, and the ANP. 
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2012, 10:59:40 AM »

And I can't wait to do those states!

I'll be doing PA next, followed by NJ, DE, DC and MD.
Khunanup
Rookie
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -8.26

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2012, 07:14:30 AM »
« Edited: September 16, 2012, 07:17:19 AM by Khunanup »

Just a question. Are you trying to make this as realistic as possible or are you just looking at all parties having the same resources? If you are doing the latter then you can do whatever you like, but if you are doing it with the established parties (ie, Con, Lab and Lib Dem) only having the required organisation then USIP and ANP aren't going to get anywhere near getting any state. You haven't made any allusion to denominational religious background to voting habits either. Labour over here have traditionally done better with the Catholic vote and urban non-conformists. The Lib Dems have a large non-conformist vote, especially in rural areas. The Church of England of course has been called the Conservative Party At Prayer and though that link is nowhere near as close as it once was, it still has a bigger influence on voting patterns than one might think (as much as anything, being historical).

Finally, in many rural and small town areas the Lib Dems are the only real opposition to the Conservatives, even now. This is regardless of how 'liberal' that area is, it is merely if you are not Tory in those areas, you vote Lib Dem (and certainly if we are looking back at 2010, they did). Don't forget pavement politics either!

Enjoyed the thread so far but just thought I better pitch in before you try to break down the South/West minefield
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2012, 08:10:06 AM »

Just a question. Are you trying to make this as realistic as possible or are you just looking at all parties having the same resources? If you are doing the latter then you can do whatever you like, but if you are doing it with the established parties (ie, Con, Lab and Lib Dem) only having the required organisation then USIP and ANP aren't going to get anywhere near getting any state. You haven't made any allusion to denominational religious background to voting habits either. Labour over here have traditionally done better with the Catholic vote and urban non-conformists. The Lib Dems have a large non-conformist vote, especially in rural areas. The Church of England of course has been called the Conservative Party At Prayer and though that link is nowhere near as close as it once was, it still has a bigger influence on voting patterns than one might think (as much as anything, being historical).

Finally, in many rural and small town areas the Lib Dems are the only real opposition to the Conservatives, even now. This is regardless of how 'liberal' that area is, it is merely if you are not Tory in those areas, you vote Lib Dem (and certainly if we are looking back at 2010, they did). Don't forget pavement politics either!

Enjoyed the thread so far but just thought I better pitch in before you try to break down the South/West minefield

Khunanup, firstly, I would like to say thank you for your feedback, I am welcome to all comments and suggestions. This will especially come in handy when it comes to states like Florida and Texas.

Different parties would have different strengths in different states, for example, Vermont would  have strong LD and Labor organizations, but a weak Tory one, New York would have strong Labor and Tory organiations and a weak LD one, and, to provide a teaser of a southern state, the TNP would have a fairly large organization in Texas, much like the SNP do in Scotland.

As for religion, I looked more towards demographics and the original American voting patterns when conducting this exercise. Some religious voting patterns were implied though, for example, the strong Labor votes in Massachusetts and Rhode Island coming from Catholics of European descent, particularly those of Irish descent. I will add religious influences to state voting patterns where possible from now on, and when I have the time, amend the 7 states I've already done to reflect this.

Regarding small towns and rural areas being straight Tory-LD areas nowadays, particularly in 2010, this is already mentioned in entries for some states, such as the NYC metropolitan area and rural parts of Maine in 2005 and 2010.

Now on to Pennsylvania!
Khunanup
Rookie
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2012, 06:46:39 PM »

Khunanup, firstly, I would like to say thank you for your feedback, I am welcome to all comments and suggestions. This will especially come in handy when it comes to states like Florida and Texas.

Different parties would have different strengths in different states, for example, Vermont would  have strong LD and Labor organizations, but a weak Tory one, New York would have strong Labor and Tory organiations and a weak LD one, and, to provide a teaser of a southern state, the TNP would have a fairly large organization in Texas, much like the SNP do in Scotland.

As for religion, I looked more towards demographics and the original American voting patterns when conducting this exercise. Some religious voting patterns were implied though, for example, the strong Labor votes in Massachusetts and Rhode Island coming from Catholics of European descent, particularly those of Irish descent. I will add religious influences to state voting patterns where possible from now on, and when I have the time, amend the 7 states I've already done to reflect this.

Regarding small towns and rural areas being straight Tory-LD areas nowadays, particularly in 2010, this is already mentioned in entries for some states, such as the NYC metropolitan area and rural parts of Maine in 2005 and 2010.

Now on to Pennsylvania!

I think you've done a great job so far, New York in particular was spot on (just trying to decide which area was NYC's equivalent of London's Surrey, and which was Hertfordshire, I think you got it right!). As so often with political parties, there are areas that just seem to go contrary to the rest it makes doing something like this really hard, especially when doing it with multiple parties rather than just the two.

Looking forward to Texas, especially as it's not just got the TNP, but it's also a border state.
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2012, 11:47:17 PM »

Pennsylvania

Philadelphia/Delaware Valley – Philadelphia, with its manufacturing roots, federal government agencies, and significant black (and growing Latino) population, would have a strong Labor-voting population, and suburbs would lean Labor, except in the Tories’ good years. The Tories would have performed better in Philadelphia suburbia in the 1980s. The remainder of the Delaware Valley, also known as the Philadelphia metropolitan area, is by and large a Tory voting area, with the possible exception of 1997-style elections.

Pittsburgh – Historically a steel producing city, inner Pittsburgh is another Labor stronghold, and would have voted for militant Labor MPs in the 1980s. Considering the positive job and housing situation in the late 2000s, I think Labor would have done better in Pittsburgh’s suburbs than in other suburbs around the country, despite the Conservatives still beating them in the suburbs (example – Cardiff North). The performances here would have helped Labor’s victory in the state.

Harrisburg & The Dutch Country – Harrisburg itself, as a state capital, and with a large black population, large percentage of people under the poverty line and an industrial history, would be a Labor-voting city. Harrisburg’s suburbs would be better for the Tories, although would have reacted to New Labor well in 1997 and beyond. Parts of the Dutch country would have a sizeable USIP vote, considering the religious conservatism of many voters there, and as a personal vote for Rick Santorum. The Dutch Country would be by-and-large a Tory area though.

NW Pennsylvania – Erie and its surrounds would vote Labor, although the further you move from Erie, the more Tory-voting the populace becomes.

NE Pennsylvania – The Coal Region would historically be a Labor-voting area, although may have voted Tory in 2010, like Sherwood in the UK. The remainder of the region would be a long-term Tory bastion.

Rest of Pennsylvania – Would lean Tory, although Labor would win here in elections where they won or narrowly lost. Labor’s good performance here would have helped Labor hold Pennsylvania in 2010.

All in all, Pennsylvania would be a key state, although Labor would have managed to suppress the swing here in 2010, much to the Tories’ dismay, like the constituencies of Chorley or Gedling in the UK. The religious freedom that Pennsylvania is known for would have helped make it a Whig/Liberal bastion back in the day.

Here's how Pennsylvania would have voted in elections from 1945 onwards:

1964: Labor
1970: Conservative

And here's the updated national map:

Key to states coloured in green:
ME + VT - Liberal Democrat

Race so far:
Labor: 64
Conservative: 11
Liberal Democrat: 7

Percentage of votes by state (winner in bold):
Maine: 12-38-44
New Hampshire: 27-49-14
Vermont: 26-21-47
Massachusetts: 40-27-18
Rhode Island: 64-22-8
Connecticut: 43-45-10
New York: 44-35-13
Pennsylvania: 45-41-6
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2012, 10:00:37 AM »
« Edited: April 28, 2013, 08:01:05 AM by Reagan and Thatcher's Long Lost Son »

New Jersey

Very wealthy and very ethnically and religiously diverse, New Jersey would be a key state in elections. I’ll break down New Jersey’s voting habits by its six tourism regions:

Gateway Region – The most populous and urbanized of New Jersey’s regions, and contains New Jersey’s largest cities, including Newark, Jersey City and Paterson. All three main parties would have some of their respective best and worst booths here, although there would be an overall Labor lean, given the area’s history of being a first stop for new immigrants. The Tories would do well here in their good years though, especially from the 1980s onwards.

Skylands Region – A Tory bastion by and large, the Skylands Region would most likely be Chris Christie’s home turf. The Lib Dems would probably come second here.

Shore Region – Also known as the Jersey Shore, this wealthy holiday location would be another Tory stronghold, and the Lib Dems would finish second here, like in the Skylands region.

Delaware River Region – New Jersey’s portion of the Greater Philadelphia region, the Delaware River Region would be New Jersey’s bellwether region, with strong areas for both the Tories and Labor alike. The Lib Dems would do well in parts of this region, particularly in Trenton.

Greater Atlantic City Region – Atlantic City and its surrounds would lean Labor, particularly in close elections like 1951, 1964 and 1970, although the region has gone to the Tories a number of times, in the right circumstances.

Southern Shore Region – A strong Tory county (Cape May) meets a county with a slight Labor lean (Cumberland). Overall, this thinly populated (by New Jersey standards), naturalistic region would trend Tory, but would have gone Labor in years such as 1966. The Green Party would get some votes here too, particularly near the New Jersey Pinelands National Reserve.

The Tories would have won here quite comfortably in 2010, especially given the Tories’ more inclusive approach under people like NJ’s own Chris Christie.

Here's how New Jersey would have voted in elections from 1945 onwards:

1951: Conservative
2010: Conservative

Delaware

As Delaware is divided into 3 counties, I’ll break down voting patterns by county:

New Castle County – The most populous of Delaware’s three counties, and a part of the Delaware Valley, New Castle County is home to a large number of healthcare and public sector workers, including those at the University of Delaware. A significant proportion of the population in New Castle County also claim European ancestry, particularly from Catholic nations. Overall, New Castle County would vote Labor, barring bad years such as 1983 and 1987.

Kent County – Containing Delaware’s capital, Dover, which would be home to a number of Labor and Lib Dem votes, Kent County also contains an air force base, the employees of which would vote Tory. Kent County would be a bellwether county, and would have voted Tory in 2010, after narrowly voting Labor in 2005.

Sussex County – The 2nd in population of Delaware’s three counties, Sussex County is a rural area, home to a large amount of farming, and would strongly (at least 55%, even in bad years) vote Tory.

All in all, I think Delaware would have a Labor lean now, despite being a swing state in the past, and would have stayed with Labor marginally, although comfortably, in 2010, although the Tories would have held on here narrowly in 1992.

Here's how Delaware would have voted in elections from 1945 onwards:

1950: Conservative
1992: Conservative

Maryland

Maryland was founded as a beacon of tolerance for English Roman Catholics, which would have made it a Whig state back in the day. Moving on a bit in history, Maryland would have strong support for Labor and the Tories alike:

Baltimore – Baltimore City itself would vote Labor, considering its industrial past, majority black population (which may provoke some whites in the city to vote ANP), and high poverty rate. In 2005 and 2010, Respect would have garnered a significant vote. Baltimore’s suburbs (or Baltimore County) is more affluent than the city, and would tend to support whoever wins the state overall. The Lib Dems would have some support in Baltimore County, given the large number of education and health workers.

Washington DC Border Counties – An extension of the Washington DC metropolitan area, the Border Counties have high black populations, and are also very educated and wealthy places, meaning both Labor and the Lib Dems would do well, with the Tories in third. It was the Lib Dem surge here in 2010 that helped deliver Maryland to the Tories in 2010.

Western Maryland – One of two strongholds for the Tories in Maryland, they would have held on here in 1997 quite comfortably. Places like Western MD are reasons why I may do a constituency map when I’ve finished all the states.

Eastern Shore – Like Western Maryland, a staunchly Tory voting area, even in years like 1945 and 1997.

Overall: Maryland, as you can see, is a very mixed bag politically, and would trend towards the party in power, but not always. The Conservatives would have managed to win here in 2010, attributed to the Lib Dem and Respect votes in Greater DC and Baltimore respectively, and strong turnout in both Western Maryland and the Eastern Shore.
Here's how Maryland would have voted in elections from 1945 onwards:

Washington DC

A Labor stronghold, and would have returned a militant Labor MP in the 1980s, although the LDs would have gradually garnered support here in the past 10-15 years, especially since the rise of New Labor. The Tories would never campaign here seriously, like they never would in parts of London (Tottenham, Camberwell, Brixton and so on), although they would do better here than the Republicans do.

Here's how Washington DC would have voted in elections from 1945 onwards:

1955: Labor
1959: Labor
1970: Labor
1979: Labor
1983: Labor
1987: Labor

And here's the updated map:

Race so far:
Labor: 70
Conservative: 35

New Jersey: 32-48-16
Delaware: 46-41-11
Maryland: 41-42-13
Washington DC: 72-10-15

*Edit 25/9/12 - Amended NJ's vote share (was 34-50-12).
*Edit 28/4/13 - Fixed Border Counties section
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2012, 05:07:43 AM »

Would've thought Delaware would flip in 2010 as it's largely Philly suburbia, though could be wrong.

Also expect New Jersey and Maryland to be better for the Lib Dems.

Good stuff however, btw.
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2012, 06:40:50 AM »

Would've thought Delaware would flip in 2010 as it's largely Philly suburbia, though could be wrong.

Also expect New Jersey and Maryland to be better for the Lib Dems.

Good stuff however, btw.

Why thank you! Will aim to have WV, KY and VA up in the next day or two.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2012, 10:45:34 AM »

This is interesting, but you're very off base at times. May have a proper look through later, if I feel unproductive.
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2012, 10:57:38 AM »

This is interesting, but you're very off base at times. May have a proper look through later, if I feel unproductive.

This is my very first attempt at figuring out how another country would vote, but I think I'm improving as I go. When I've done all 50 states, I might revise some entries.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2012, 11:32:20 AM »

Oh, this isn't meant as an attack of any sort. Not at all.
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2012, 07:35:38 PM »

Oh, this isn't meant as an attack of any sort. Not at all.

It's ok, I didn't take it as an attack, I took it as a comment in which to help me as I journey through the rest of the states.
No harm done! Smiley
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2012, 07:12:36 AM »
« Edited: June 10, 2013, 08:25:08 PM by Reagan and Thatcher's Long Lost Son »

West Virginia

Created from Virginia during the Civil War,   and divided between several regions, West Virginia is a very mountainous state, and one of only 10 states in 2009 to experience economic growth, this is backed with business costs at 13% below the national average and being one of only 4 states in the US to run a surplus budget.

Charleston – Known for being a headquarters for salt, natural gas, coal and many other industries, and being held, for the most part, by the Union in the Civil War, Charleston would have a high degree of unionization, and be a Labor voting city. Labor would have had some of its strongest results in the country here in the 1980s, in reaction to the Tory government’s actions towards the coal mines. With the industrial jobs remaining relatively strong, in conjunction with the Labor party moving towards more “green” policies in the past decade, the Tories would have increased their vote here, although Labor would still win Charleston city. The Tories would do well in the metropolitan area though.

Eastern Panhandle – An extension of the Greater Washington DC metropolitan area, and home to just under 12% of the state’s population, the Eastern Panhandle would be a reliable Tory area, and the Lib Dems would finish second here.

Northern Panhandle and surrounds – Similar to the Eastern Panhandle, this extension of the Pittsburgh metropolitan area would be another reliable Tory area, and the Lib Dems would again finish second.

Rest of the state – The remainder of West Virginia would be relatively Tory-voting, with a sizeable USIP vote in the southern parts of the state. Some poverty-ridden areas, such as McDowell, Mingo and Logan Counties, however, would still be strong Labor bases, despite West Virginia’s drift to the Tories in the past 20-30 years.

In the UK, coalfields have drifted slowly from left to right, as noted by Sherwood and Amber Valley in the 2010 election. A similar pattern has occurred in the US coalfields, and this is even more exemplified by the social conservatism in the US.
Here's how West Virginia would have voted in elections from 1945 onwards:

1955: Labor (very narrowly though)
1979: Labor
1983: Conservative (thanks to the Alliance, despite a pro-Labor swing in Charleston)
1987: Conservative (with an increased Tory share)
2005: Conservative (most narrow win of any state at the 2005 election)

Kentucky

Like West Virginia, Kentucky was split from Virginia, is very mountainous (although not as mountainous as WV), and is home to large amounts of coal mining, in addition to its bourbon, tobacco and automotive industries. Kentucky also has a high degree of irreligion (a large plurality of Kentuckians do not affiliate with an religion), and of those who are religious, a majority are Baptists. Kentucky’s voting trends are broken down by its five regions:

Jackson Purchase – Dominated by agriculture and tourism economically, this largely rural, white (save a few counties, such as Fulton) region would have voted Labor from the party’s foundation, the party’s grip loosening since the 1960s. The Tories and USIP would be the dominant players here today, although Labor would retain some support in black communities.

Western Coal Fields – As the name implies, this region is home to a large amount of coal mining, and is demographically similar to the Jackson Purchase ethnicity wise. Would have been a heavily Labor voting region in years gone by, Labor would be in third or fourth place here today, as the Tories and ever-growing USIP battle it out. The Tories would have won here in 2010, although they may be in for a shock at the next election.

Pennyroyal/Mississippi Plateau – A very hilly region with a large number of caves, this by and large farming area would be a Tory/USIP battleground.

Cumberland Plateau/Eastern Coal Fields – Much like its western counterpart, this is a very white, coal-mining region, with some counties imposing restrictions on alcohol, and would be divided between the Tories and USIP in today’s political world. Like in bordering areas of West Virginia, there would be a few Labor-voting counties, particularly those with a high poverty rate (I’m thinking along the lines of Elliott County) although these would be in the minority now. Still, a large number of people below the poverty line would vote Tory or USIP on social issues.

Bluegrass Region – Containing a majority of Kentucky’s population, and the state capital, Frankfort, along with the largest city, Louisville, the strongest bases for Labor and the Lib Dems in Kentucky can be found here, particularly in the cities of Louisville and Frankfort. Home to 1/3 of all bourbon production, and the headquarters of Yum! Brands, Louisville’s suburbs would have become stronger for the Tories as time as gone by, particularly with Labor’s shift towards more regulations on junk food and alcohol.

Kentucky as a whole would not be a good area for the Lib Dems, not even in 2010, and has been a strong (and getting stronger) Tory state for a long time now, although the rise of USIP could threaten this. Labor would be a 3rd party here now, after dominating Kentucky politics until the end of the 1970s.

Here's how Kentucky would have voted in elections from 1945 onwards:

1955: Labor
2005: Conservative

Due to the 11,000 character limit, I will continue this post with Virginia and the updated map in another post.

EDIT: Changed KY's 1970 result to Labor from Tory.
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2012, 07:16:43 AM »
« Edited: September 28, 2012, 09:00:05 PM by Anton Kreitzer »

Virginia (here we go!!!!!)

Virginia, home to the very first British settlement in the US, and famous for its motto, Sic Semper Tyrannis, is home to a multitude of industries, people of all ethnicities, mountains, coalfields, farmland, wealth, poverty cities and towns.

Northern Virginia – The most affluent region in the USA, Northern Virginia is home to the Pentagon, CIA headquarters, and a wide range of private sector industries, including Verisign, and is also home to significant Black, Asian and Latino populations. This section of the Washington DC metropolitan area has emerged as a swing region between the Lib Dems and Conservatives, although Labor would play well in more ethnic-dominated parts. The Conservatives in their 2010 form would have done well here, and they would have also done well in the 1980s.

Greater Richmond – While inner Richmond would lean Labor, and have a base for Respect in 2005 and beyond, Richmond as a whole, when you take its metropolitan area into account, would vote Tory overall, especially in the suburbs. The Tory slant of Richmond is also boosted when you take into account the large amount of financial workers.

Southwest Virginia – The most mountainous part of the state, and the most similar demographically to that of its former western territory, Southwest Virginia would have favoured Labor in the past, but would now be hotly contested between the Tories and USIP, with the Tories significantly in front.

Southside – Historically the most conservative part of the state, the counties near Richmond would not be as conservative today. Still, this largely agricultural region of Virginia would be USIP’s best spot in the state.

Hampton Roads – Home to a large number of military bases, luxurious waterfront homes, rich and poor alike, and four Fortune 500 companies, there are a number of voting habits in Hampton Roads, which would favour the 3 main parties:
  • Labor would do best in inner Norfolk.
  • The Tories would do well along the coast and in most suburbs.
  • The Lib Dems would do well in gentrified suburbs close to the cities of Norfolk and Virginia Beach.

The Necks (Northern Neck, Middle & Virginia Peninsulas) – Very picturesque coastal areas of Virginia, these lightly populated areas of the state would largely vote Tory, with the main opposition coming from the Lib Dems, USIP and, near national parks, the Green Party.

Shenandoah Valley – Another rural Tory bastion, Labor would be the stronger left-wing party here.

Eastern Shore – Quite Tory, although Labor would finish second here, not the Lib Dems, as a result of a relatively high black population, who tend to favour Labor.

Virginia has historically been a very strong Tory state, only losing it in 1945, February 1974, 1997 and 2001. The increasing ethnic diversity, particularly in the state’s north, has made it lean more towards Labor and the Lib Dems in the recent past, although not enough to win it outside of landslide years. USIP could be a threat here to the Tories though in the future, either by winning the state or causing Labor to win by vote-splitting.

Here's how Virginia would have voted in elections from 1945 onwards:

1945: Labor (one of the narrower 1945 victories)
1966: Conservative
February 1974: Liberal (thanks to discontent with the Conservative Government)
October 1974: Conservative
2005: Conservative

And here's the updated map:

Key to states coloured in green:
ME + VT - Liberal Democrat

Race so far:
Labor: 70
Conservative: 60

New Jersey: 32-48-16
Delaware: 46-41-11
Maryland: 41-42-13
Washington DC: 72-10-15
West Virginia: 30-46-12-8
Kentucky: 18-50-4-22
Virginia: 24-44-15-14

EDIT: Added Feb '74 to the Tories' loss record.
Khunanup
Rookie
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2012, 06:46:04 PM »

Ok, I've been waiting for these.

I think you've got the whole coal thing all wrong. The Tories have benefitted from a shift to the right only in the former (note former) coal fields of the East Midlands and Kent (and to a certain extent in parts of Yorkshire) in the UK. The remaining coal mining areas and former coal mining areas are still generally monolithically Labour (County Durham, Northumberland, Welsh Valleys etc.). This is despite them still being the bastion of very traditional WWC values and traditions. This is something to remember about Labour. It does have a strong thread of working class conservatism (but not Conservatism!) running through it, especially in places like the above and people there vote for Labour regardless because they just do. Remember these people voted for a Tony Blair led Labour party in their droves three times.

I have no doubt that in a West Virginia and the coal mining areas of Kentucky where the political culture of the Labor party has been embedded for over 100 years, it would be any different to County Durham for example and for that reason I had West Virginia earmarked as the most reliable Labor state in the Union.

Virginia's good though!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2012, 07:55:27 PM »

This is... er... strange.

Lesson number two or three... perhaps even one actually... of British electoral geography is that certain patterns that can be seen on a basic map of coalfields...

...and be seen on pretty much any electoral map...

A rather telling detail is the fact that the current Leader of the Labour Party represents a coalfield constituency, as have all Labour leaders since 1980.
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2012, 08:12:58 PM »
« Edited: September 26, 2012, 08:39:40 PM by Anton Kreitzer »

Ok, I've been waiting for these.

I think you've got the whole coal thing all wrong. The Tories have benefitted from a shift to the right only in the former (note former) coal fields of the East Midlands and Kent (and to a certain extent in parts of Yorkshire) in the UK. The remaining coal mining areas and former coal mining areas are still generally monolithically Labour (County Durham, Northumberland, Welsh Valleys etc.). This is despite them still being the bastion of very traditional WWC values and traditions. This is something to remember about Labour. It does have a strong thread of working class conservatism (but not Conservatism!) running through it, especially in places like the above and people there vote for Labour regardless because they just do. Remember these people voted for a Tony Blair led Labour party in their droves three times.

I have no doubt that in a West Virginia and the coal mining areas of Kentucky where the political culture of the Labor party has been embedded for over 100 years, it would be any different to County Durham for example and for that reason I had West Virginia earmarked as the most reliable Labor state in the Union.

Virginia's good though!

I had temporarily forgotten about other coalfields (Durham, South Wales etc) when I did West Virginia and Kentucky. My reason for making them more Conservative in recent years would be owing to Labor's more regulatory positions on traditional industries in those states (along with coal, I'm thinking of the tobacco and bourbon industries). As you can see from the voting histories for both states, they were VERY Labor-voting, even by the standards of the 1980s. The Tory victories in the 80s would have partly been caused by vote-splitting in my opinion. You may see more Labor strength on a local level as well, much like in the US, the state and local level Democrats perform better than their federal counterparts in WV and KY.

This is... er... strange.

Lesson number two or three... perhaps even one actually... of British electoral geography is that certain patterns that can be seen on a basic map of coalfields...

...and be seen on pretty much any electoral map...

A rather telling detail is the fact that the current Leader of the Labour Party represents a coalfield constituency, as have all Labour leaders since 1980.

Thanks for that map Comrade Sibboleth, it will help me even more when I try and compare another region in the US to that of one in the UK. My reasons for making WV and KY more right-leaning than their British counterparts is explained in my reply to Khunanup, and I will think of those patterns when I do future states. In particular, the patterns of PC and SNP support in Wales and Scotland respectively will help me when I do Alaska and Texas.

Once again, thank you both, and to everyone else who has commented on this for your feedback and thoughts!

EDIT: I will be doing TN and NC next.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2012, 03:06:16 AM »

To add to what Al was saying, if you are looking at how the USA would vote you have to bear in mind that voting behaviour would be different too. There wouldn't be a wierd obsession with what people do in the bedroom and people would vote on the economy and jobs. Most importantly however, people would vote pretty much the same way they have voted for the past fifty years.

Here's coal seams in the USA (not sure which areas were thoroughly mined however)

http://coalgeology.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/US-Coal-Producing-

A handy tool to use is this;

http://elections.nytimes.com/2008/results/president/explorer.html

It allows you to see areas of poverty, low income, manufacturing etc to see where Labour would likely be strongest.

There are two particular nuances that complicate things. Firstly race. The UK is lucky to have a handful of constituencies with a minority population of over 30% yet the USA has whole states. If black voting habits were the same then Labour would dominate disproportionately in some states. Secondly there is mobility; people in the US tend to move from state to state. This dilutes some older voting habits.

I had a stab at Pennsylvania in an 'all things being equal' scenario

I looked at past voting habits from the 50's and 60's, areas of coal mining, areas of manufacturing, areas of poverty and educational attainment and also %Catholic and came up with this guesstimate for Pennsylvania (the Lib Dems taking the richest county with the highest % of people with a degree)

Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »

Chester would be strongly Tory, not Lib Dem. Half of it is Philly suburbs/exurbs and half of it is rural farmland like Lancaster/York/Lebanon.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies