The College Compendium: my attention whore thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:55:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The College Compendium: my attention whore thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The College Compendium: my attention whore thread  (Read 2455 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« on: September 06, 2012, 03:46:35 AM »

I've always resented a culture that places value to people based on how "smart" they were, as if it were an inherited genetic number from 1-100 that determined how great of a person you would become.

When you've met enough people who clearly brilliant in some ways and not brilliant in others, I think you can get a feeling that this obsession with "smartness" is...not smart.

Kids at college are obsessed with proving which of them in smarter, but in the world after college, most people stop caring about that and instead care about what you can produce. At which point diligence and good work habits predominate.

I think every institution creates a metric to value people. In sports it's the number of wins, in business it's how much money the person or company makes, in politics it's how high up in office one goes. Academia is no different and its metric is success in intellectual pursuits. Students in college pick that up just as athletes pick up the desire to win.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies