The College Compendium: my attention whore thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:00:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The College Compendium: my attention whore thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The College Compendium: my attention whore thread  (Read 2444 times)
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« on: September 06, 2012, 01:26:48 AM »

Well, I'll be damned. My experiences have mostly been the same as yours. If it means anything, I enjoyed reading the post.

I also have no clue who Lou Reed is. Sounds like a baseball player.

Bwahaha. Meeting horrible college students is the first path of the road to moderation. Wait until you meet the first right-leaning student. Rare jewels, they usually are.

Anyways, I guess that's a form of culture shock. I came from a "blue" area, but I dealt with another culture shock. The whole foreign culture thing. But I guess its comparable.

Also, you might be overestimating your peers. I was a relatively average student (below-average) in High School, so I was pretty anxious about being accepted to a "rigorous" place. But it quickly became obvious that just putting basic effort let me blow out 80% of the students.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 02:25:45 AM »

I've always resented a culture that places value to people based on how "smart" they were, as if it were an inherited genetic number from 1-100 that determined how great of a person you would become.

When you've met enough people who clearly brilliant in some ways and not brilliant in others, I think you can get a feeling that this obsession with "smartness" is...not smart.

Kids at college are obsessed with proving which of them in smarter, but in the world after college, most people stop caring about that and instead care about what you can produce. At which point diligence and good work habits predominate.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 06:07:50 PM »

This is true. There's quite a few activists who actually put some time into the IWW or anti-homelessness protesting but at the same time there is an equally large amount of trust funders who claim to be communists or anarchists but contribute nothing and have their comfortability via the system they claim to hate. The irony is that the people from poor/lower middle class backgrounds are less radical than the wealthies.

The rich kids who claim to be communists and anarchists and then go hunt for jobs at Wall Street and try to jump into corporate recruiting should be destroyed.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 03:48:02 AM »

Such is the story of the Columbia Republicans.

I would call it the story of every one right-of-Kucinich in college, but w/e.

It gets even worse in some places because the fault lines end up not being a divider between relatively equal groups of Democrats/Republicans or liberals/conservatives, but between relatively equal groups of people obsessed about defeating "heteronormativity" and "white privilege" and "cisgender oppression" and what not and uh...groups of people comprising everyone else.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 12:46:09 PM »

Dayum, that was fast. You've already gotten more relationship drama than I have in years of college. Then again, I'm essentially an international student, so that only naturally follows.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 05:33:52 AM »

Update: I met Ezra Klein and gave him a fanboy shout out. I am feeling defeated by college in so many ways. This school is tough.

I think I listened to Ezra Klein once at college. I was not impressed.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies