Does Bush Deserve Credit for Ending the Iraq War?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:33:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Does Bush Deserve Credit for Ending the Iraq War?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Does George W. Bush deserve credit for ending the Iraq War?
Democrat -Yes

Democrat -No

Republican -Yes

Republican -No

independent/third party -Yes

independent/third party -No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Does Bush Deserve Credit for Ending the Iraq War?  (Read 2784 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 06, 2012, 05:30:16 PM »

Question sparked after reading this article.

I have to say I agree with Republicans like Stephen Hadley.  As much as I profoundly disagreed with Bush's decision to invade Iraq, I nonetheless recognize that he did more than anyone to eventually end it, though it took a surge (which I supported) to get us to that point at which we could safely leave the country.   
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 05:34:03 PM »

Question sparked after reading this article.

I have to say I agree with Republicans like Stephen Hadley.  As much as I profoundly disagreed with Bush's decision to invade Iraq, I nonetheless recognize that he did more than anyone to eventually end it, though it took a surge (which I supported) to get us to that point at which we could safely leave the country.   

I agree with everything in this post.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 07:06:07 PM »

Frodo, if a drunken friend of yours urinated all over your rug, then when he sobered up took it to the dry cleaners for you, would you say he deserved credit or blame?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 07:07:58 PM »

No, the Sunni tribesmen who eventually got more pissed off at the Jihadists than the Crusaders deserve most of the credit. Bush deserves the blame for allowing Al-Qaeda in Iraq to exist in the first place.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 07:23:14 PM »

If you took a crap at the floor in first place, you don't get credit for cleaning it up later.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 08:36:07 PM »

Yeeeahhh... that would be sort of like if the guy who spread the AIDS virus found the cure for the disease and we all gave him a Nobel Peace Prize for it.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 10:55:35 PM »

Yes. And Obama deserves blame for the recession.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 10:59:21 PM »

Frodo, if a drunken friend of yours urinated all over your rug, then when he sobered up took it to the dry cleaners for you, would you say he deserved credit or blame?

Blame for peeing on the rug, but credit for taking it the dry cleaners. Because I am NOT giving credit to my unrelated friend
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 10:46:38 AM »

Of course not. He created the entire mess for no reason.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 11:12:23 AM »

Yes, and in time history will judge President Bush well.
Emperor Dubya
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 11:21:26 AM »

Mmmmm. Of course the massive human rights violations, and Saddam's interest in procuring WMD'S had nothing to do with it. Or the country's covert support for Al Qaeda.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 11:39:38 AM »

Mmmmm. Of course the massive human rights violations, and Saddam's interest in procuring WMD'S had nothing to do with it. Or the country's covert support for Al Qaeda.

I wasn't aware the last one was a proven fact. The first two I think accounts for alot of countries, but oh right, Iraq was supposed to be an "example" for the rest of the Middle East. That worked out well, didn't it?
Emperor Dubya
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 12:23:53 PM »

Yes well hopefully he had a lot more on his hit-list, starting with Syria and Iran.

I wasn't aware the last one was a proven fact. The first two I think accounts for alot of countries, but oh right, Iraq was supposed to be an "example" for the rest of the Middle East. That worked out well, didn't it?
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 12:57:17 PM »

Yes well hopefully he had a lot more on his hit-list, starting with Syria and Iran.

Please use the quote function properly, don't make it appear as though I share your warmongering sentiments.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 01:18:55 PM »

No, the military strategists who came up with the surge and other successful things do.
Emperor Dubya
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 01:36:06 PM »

Please use the quote function properly, don't make it appear as though I share your warmongering sentiments.

Oops. Are you the kind of person who wouldn't have supported war against Nazi Germany, as it constituted warmongering. Because believe me, I know left-libertarians who do.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 01:39:57 PM »

Oops. Are you the kind of person who wouldn't have supported war against Nazi Germany, as it constituted warmongering. Because believe me, I know left-libertarians who do.

That isn't worth a response. Comparing Nazi Germany to Hussein's Iraq in relation to the threat they posed to the US and the rest of the world is just beyond ridiculous.
Emperor Dubya
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2012, 01:46:52 PM »

That isn't worth a response. Comparing Nazi Germany to Hussein's Iraq in relation to the threat they posed to the US and the rest of the world is just beyond ridiculous.

Well you say that now, but did anyone think Germany would be a threat to the world in 1933.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 02:34:17 PM »

How ridiculous.  But, on this forum we probably can't really express what Bush actually deserves, so there's little point in attempting to comment further.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2012, 04:00:39 AM »

No, because he started it.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2012, 04:49:31 AM »

lol @ how partisan this poll is.

The answer is no. Ending it does not excuse starting it.
So rightwing that I broke the Political Compass!
Rockingham

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2012, 07:40:16 AM »

Well you say that now, but did anyone think Germany would be a threat to the world in 1933.
This would be reasonable to say about Iraq in 1991- not only invading Kuwait and having the 4th largest military on the planet, but also on the cusp of developing nukes and positioned to invade Saudi Arabia.

But Iraq in 2003 was a broken and frankly unscary thing.
So rightwing that I broke the Political Compass!
Rockingham

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2012, 07:42:08 AM »

Giving him credit for ending it in no way dilutes the critique of him for starting it. Good doesn't wash out the bad, but neither does the bad wash out the good.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2012, 05:58:44 PM »
« Edited: September 12, 2012, 09:56:03 AM by HagridOfTheDeep »

Obama made the promise to end the war and he ended it. Who knows when it would have been over if Bush was allowed to be president for another four years. American combat operations would probably still be going on. Obama deserves the credit for this.

I'd argue, however, that Bush deserves much more credit than he asks for when it comes to the death of Osama bin Laden. If my understanding is correct, aggressive interrogations at Gitmo helped yield the necessary information to find bin Laden. Bush set up an extremely strong framework for the process that ultimately saw OBL's death. He deserves some recognition.
Mister Twister

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 12:18:35 AM »

No. Only Obama gets credit
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies