The Orgin of Human Life Poll, split by nationality
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:01:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  The Orgin of Human Life Poll, split by nationality
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which of these do you believe?
Human beings evolved from less advanced life forms over millions of years (American)

Human beings evolved from less advanced life forms over millions of years (Non-American)

God created human beings in their present form within the last 10,000 years (American)

God created human beings in their present form within the last 10,000 years (Non-American)

Neither of the two (American)

Neither of the two (Non-American)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 67

Author Topic: The Orgin of Human Life Poll, split by nationality  (Read 4490 times)
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 07, 2012, 04:38:15 PM »
« edited: September 07, 2012, 04:47:35 PM by I'm spinning Perry the platypus, get out of my way »

This inspired me to create this poll.

Concidering the fact that the Internet is dominated by atheists, the winner is obvious, but I wanted to do it anyway.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 05:32:11 PM »

I've had a 1st grade science education, yes.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 06:12:22 PM »

Humans evolved from other life forms. More or less advanced is a value judgment and altogether irrelevant to the question at hand.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 09:24:07 PM »

Humans evolved from other life forms. More or less advanced is a value judgment and altogether irrelevant to the question at hand.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 11:35:31 PM »

Is it 100,000 years or 10,000 years?  I guess I've heard the question posed both ways. There are quite a few young earth creationists who believe it's been only 6 or 7 thousand years - but many others that allow for both those cave paintings made tens of thousands of years ago and also believe in Adam and Eve.
I'll vote neither, as I think there may be a great deal of truth in both ideas: that humans have evolved and that they have been in some sense specially created by God.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 06:10:09 AM »

The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 09:56:59 PM »

I worded it the same way the survey did, so don't complain to me.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 03:41:29 PM »

I answered with option 3, but I don't necessarily think that there has never been evolution in some form or that the earth is only a few thousand years old.  I also don't think the six days of Creation were necessarily literal 24-hour periods.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 09:15:07 PM »

Lol, creationists on the Atlas Forum.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 03:41:29 PM »
« Edited: September 17, 2012, 03:54:40 PM by Is anyone else as hungry as I am? »

Lol, elitism on the Atlas Forum.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 03:43:51 PM »

Is science now elitist?
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 03:54:06 PM »

No, but believing that someone having a different idea of the creation of the earth and refering to all of them as back asswards cavemen is.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 04:00:40 PM »

No, but believing that someone having a different idea of the creation of the earth and refering to all of them as back asswards cavemen is.

Well if someone thinks human beings were placed on the earth fully formed as recently as the poll suggests you are backwards as it is contrary to every science that concerns itself with us, the earth and time.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 05:35:02 PM »

Either way I sound like a moron and you sound like a fundie. No wonder Mikado left the atheism "faith".
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 07:08:27 PM »

sure it is, most top scientists are of the elite, and have historically been men, etc.
danny
Israel

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 08:20:41 PM »

This inspired me to create this poll.

Concidering the fact that the Internet is dominated by atheists, the winner is obvious, but I wanted to do it anyway.

Nearly everyone uses the internet, so it can't be dominated by atheists.

Considering the small percentage of atheists in America is so small, most Americans who believe in evolution are theists.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 05:14:36 AM »

Either way I sound like a moron and you sound like a fundie. No wonder Mikado left the atheism "faith".

Let's put it another way. Is the truth 'fundamentalist'? Should evolutionary science, genetics, biology, geology, archaeology, history and IIRC about 100-200 branches of science that support evolution and the age of the earth be thrown under a bus to satisfysome Christians who choose not to engage their brain when trying to reconcile our understanding of the world with their faith?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 08:58:31 AM »

Let's put it another way. Is the truth 'fundamentalist'? Should evolutionary science, genetics, biology, geology, archaeology, history and IIRC about 100-200 branches of science that support evolution and the age of the earth be thrown under a bus to satisfysome Christians who choose not to engage their brain when trying to reconcile our understanding of the world with their faith?

Every significant branch of science has generated findings that require that the universe be millions if not billions of years old. If the fundamentalist Christians realized the implications of their world view, they'd forgo the use of modern technology and the rest of us would be spared the bother.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 01:13:33 PM »

Either way, you are treating them in an intolerant way. Fundamentalists always look upon those who believe differently as inferior, and they hate everyone but themselves.

There only seems to be Fundie Christians and Fundie Atheists. Are there Fundie Jews/Hindus/Buddhists/Tribal Religions/Bahai'/Rastafarfians/Pagans?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 01:28:10 PM »

Either way, you are treating them in an intolerant way. Fundamentalists always look upon those who believe differently as inferior, and they hate everyone but themselves.

There only seems to be Fundie Christians and Fundie Atheists. Are there Fundie Jews/Hindus/Buddhists/Tribal Religions/Bahai'/Rastafarfians/Pagans?

Again I ask you; what is fundamentalist about truth? Is seeking to argue for that truth against ignorance 'intolerant'?
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2012, 02:28:05 PM »

Again I ask you; what is fundamentalist about truth? Is seeking to argue for that truth against ignorance 'intolerant'?

It's not truth from the perspective of much of the world.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2012, 03:40:45 PM »

It doesn't cease being truth because some people don't believe in it. When man was a hunter-gatherer it was true even though we had no comprehension of it.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2012, 06:33:48 PM »

Your choices aren't exactly mutually exclusive.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2012, 10:53:20 AM »

There are still people who think the Earth is flat, even though evidence to the contrary is widely available to them. The roundness of the world is not truth from their perspective - would you give the same defense to their ideas as you are giving creationists?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2012, 12:25:40 AM »

Whether or not they believe in evolution isn't the same as this. There are Christians that engage their brain a certain way and believe they can reconcile it by questioning the science behind evolution. There are others who just say "because the Bible told me so."  There are Christians that try to understand how their faith can make room for evolution. And then there are others who believe in evolution and don't think deeply about how to reconcile it with their faith. And still others who don't know if evolution is true and don't care.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies