Vote Tracker: Equal Rights Amendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:19:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Vote Tracker: Equal Rights Amendment
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Vote Tracker: Equal Rights Amendment  (Read 3558 times)
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2012, 02:17:48 PM »

I still support this, but I am starting to see that TJ has a good point actually. Our Supreme Court is to the left of Karl Marx so it is not out of the realm of possibility for them to abuse this and to go after the Catholic church if someone brought the right case before them.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2012, 02:31:12 PM »

I still support this, but I am starting to see that TJ has a good point actually. Our Supreme Court is to the left of Karl Marx so it is not out of the realm of possibility for them to abuse this and to go after the Catholic church if someone brought the right case before them.

Just because our Supreme Court judges are communists doesn't mean they hate Catholics.  If they were to do anything that infringed upon the rights of religious institutions, that would be grounds for impeachment -- a move of which I would ardently support.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2012, 02:41:11 PM »

I myself am to the left of Karl Marx, and wouldn't think a second of telling how the Catholic Church, or any other Church for that matter, should or should not appoint his clergymen and other stuff.

That is, as long as we don't give them a penny of government spending of course...
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2012, 02:42:17 PM »

"The left of Karl Marx."  Does such a thing even exist? Tongue
Zanas
Zanas46
France

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2012, 02:44:10 PM »

I just repeated Jbrase terms. It doesn't really make sense actually.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2012, 03:20:53 PM »

I was exaggerating. Tongue Though Justice opebo probably fits that description. 
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2012, 06:00:56 PM »

So what were the final results?  I am sure this amendment passed, I just want to see the numbers. 
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2012, 06:19:01 PM »

So what were the final results?  I am sure this amendment passed, I just want to see the numbers. 

There's still over a day left for most regions.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2012, 07:19:23 PM »

Time for another update!

Northeast: 9 Aye, 4 Nay, 2 Abstain
Mideast: 13 Aye, 8 Nay, 1 Abstain
IDS: 12 Aye, 6 Nay
Midwest: 8 Aye, 0 Nay
Pacific: 4 Aye, 0 Nay

Nationwide Total: 46 Aye, 18 Nay, 3 Abstain

The amendment is currently passing.

Voting for the Mideast and IDS regions ends late tonight, Midwest and Pacific tomorrow morning, and the Northeast on Saturday afternoon.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2012, 07:28:10 PM »

How can anyone oppose this ? Huh I wonder what's the absurd conservative rationale that tries to justify opposition to this in a politically correct way (as states rights was for desegregation).
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2012, 08:12:10 PM »

"The left of Karl Marx."  Does such a thing even exist? Tongue

It does in Atlasia
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2012, 08:14:14 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Agreed. Oppose.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2012, 11:34:47 PM »

How can anyone oppose this ? Huh I wonder what's the absurd conservative rationale that tries to justify opposition to this in a politically correct way (as states rights was for desegregation).

I have yet to hear an opponent speak up and actually sound rational and in their right mind. That isn't to say someone couldn't but the vocal opponents have all managed to make themselves look less intelligent.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2012, 11:45:14 PM »

I have yet to hear an opponent speak up and actually sound rational and in their right mind. That isn't to say someone couldn't but the vocal opponents have all managed to make themselves look less intelligent.

Link to some posts ? I feel masochist today.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2012, 11:58:35 PM »

Link to some posts ? I feel masochist today.

Oh, just the read the whole thread. It isn't that long. Evil And that would be far more masochistic then to just be linked to a few important ones.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2012, 01:09:45 AM »

Meh, it was not as awful as I was hoping for. Only 20RP12's post really was a gem of idiocy.

Cry
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2012, 01:33:01 AM »

what this amendment means in practice hasn't been spelled out.  For instance, are we going to have gender quotas for hiring, or for the military - or god forbid - for the draft or death penalty if we have those?   How is this amendment going to be investigated or enforced? It seems to be a solution in search of a problem.
But at the heart of it, not everyone has the exact same ideas about gender and sexual orientation.
Maybe that's not politically correct, but so what?
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2012, 08:13:05 AM »

I support the Amendment in theory, but in reality it's just politically correct, 'feel good', lefty nonsense that will probably be interpreted rather liberally for, God forbid, gender quotas or worse.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2012, 10:29:03 AM »

Meh, it was not as awful as I was hoping for. Only 20RP12's post really was a gem of idiocy.

Cry

clarence's were particularly bad.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2012, 11:06:05 AM »

I support the Amendment in theory, but in reality it's just politically correct, 'feel good', lefty nonsense that will probably be interpreted rather liberally for, God forbid, gender quotas or worse.

Is female equality even considered 'politically correct' now? I mean it is a movement which is now over 100 years old.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2012, 12:01:54 PM »

And I've yet to hear anyone answer my criticisms by saying something of content beyond "that's absurb" or now with your remark "You're either unintelligent or have a mental disorder".
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2012, 12:06:14 PM »

And I've yet to hear anyone answer my criticisms by saying something of content beyond "that's absurb" or now with your remark "You're either unintelligent or have a mental disorder".

I suggest you drop by the Senate debate thread...Senator.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2012, 12:33:40 PM »

Ouch! That's a burn...

Meanwhile, back to the point of the post--what's the vote total now.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2012, 01:40:51 PM »

Ouch! That's a burn...

Meanwhile, back to the point of the post--what's the vote total now.

The actual thread sounded rather like this one except the entire argument was about same sex bathrooms instead of religious organizations hiring women. The argument is based on the amendments proponents repeating over and over again how the effect of the amendment in question is "ridiculous" or some synonym of it, without explaining how this would differ from the case given whether it be same sex bathrooms or religious organizations hiring women. The AG has inferred, although I cannot find a direct statement (I admit I never directly asked) the amendment is not intended to apply to religious organizations. That being said, amendments can be applied in ways other than the way in which they are intended. In Atlasia, the constitution is worded such that the Supreme Court must consider the literal meaning of the constitution rather than an implied meaning, so the possibility of an unexpected consequence is reduced in part. Yet if such an interpretation of the amendment's meaning is possible, the possibility that the court could rule such remains. No opinion has been given at all, save perhaps Scott's about "age old law", which explains why this text should not be interpreted to force the Catholic Church to hire women or why it does not invalidate the Atlasia-modified version of thew 1964 Civil Rights Act since it exempts religious institutions and this amendment does not.

I will admit I was a poor senator with regards to this; I never persued the question once the senate argument turned to same sex bathrooms. This was in part because I made the mistake of assuming this far-reaching nature of this amendment was problematic enough that it would fail much like the real life ERA failed, in part because of real life time contstraints like moving, in part because the bills supporters voted against every amendment given, and lastly in part because I'd have rather avoided this sort of confrontation if possible. I am no longer a senator for the very same real life reasons.

Now that I've shown my unintelligence and that I am not in my right mind, the amendment passed. It's over. Since this is a game and not real life, the issue is largely unimportant and our zero female members are unlikely to sue for employment discrimination.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2012, 02:00:22 PM »

Since this is a game and not real life, the issue is largely unimportant and our zero female members are unlikely to sue for employment discrimination.

Oh you are cute Smiley It does however help the third or so of forum members who declare as LGBT.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies