SurveyUSA: California Death Penalty unlikely to be repealed (but many undecided) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:42:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SurveyUSA: California Death Penalty unlikely to be repealed (but many undecided) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SurveyUSA: California Death Penalty unlikely to be repealed (but many undecided)  (Read 1900 times)
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« on: September 13, 2012, 02:34:54 AM »

California really doesn't deserve it's reputation.  It should be known as the Dumbest State in America, since we...

---Elected a f#cking actor as our governor.
---Banned same-sex marriage twice.
---Rejected marijuana legalization.
---Rejecting the abolition of the death penalty.

Combine that with the fact that we're the birthplace of Scientology and all kinds of other new age crap, and...well...
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 05:34:54 PM »

California's strong tradition of supporting law and order resurfaces again Smiley

Funny how so many of the world's countries, including all of the European Union, have legal systems that work excellently without the barbarity of the death penalty.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 01:54:26 PM »

I just registered to vote today. I'm pretty sure I'm going to vote to repeal, but I'm not 100% decided.

As ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└  said, it's a no-brainer:

The death penalty wastes millions in a state that doesn't even have the money, and it's not even used.  Not to mention the fact that pretty much every country that claims to at least kinda believe in human rights has abolished it, including Canada.  The idea that the death penalty is a deterrent is farcical.  All that remains in favor of the death penalty is that it makes some sick black-hearted people feel warm and fuzzy on the inside, which isn't enough to warrant giving the state the power to commit homicide.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 09:00:58 PM »

A better approach would be to reform the prison system to focus on rehabilitation and treating prisoners like human beings rather than cattle.  Norway's prison system is like this, and they not only have a very low rate of re-offense, but Norwegian prisons (and the prisons in other Nordic countries, I believe) are very safe.

But of course, this doesn't matter, because most Americans care more about bullsh#t philosophy on whether or not prisoners deserve more than slop that wouldn't even be served in an elementary school cafeteria.  And then there's the classic "oh, don't use a European country as an example!  America's different!" line.  Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies