Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2014, 12:56:30 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Gustaf, MasterJedi)
| | |-+  SENATE BILL: Late-Term Abortion Restriction Act (On the President's Desk)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Late-Term Abortion Restriction Act (On the President's Desk)  (Read 5274 times)
Svensson
NVTownsend
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2012, 08:50:07 pm »
Ignore

Nay.
Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2012, 11:56:59 pm »
Ignore

Aye

If the funds were completely opt-outable, would you change your mind?

It is possible yet unlikely. I got to thinking a bit after a brief exchange with Sam awhile back and decided the federal government of Atlasia makes a habit of tackling some issues better left to the individual regions. That's not to imply I am about to go libertarian on ya'll, but I am going to start dragging my heels when I think this highest tier of government is not doing something imperative to fulfilling its core function of upholding the social rights of the people.

In this case, regulating late-term abortions is consistent with that mission of state. The funding in question, in contrast, has a more diffuse yet nonetheless significant cultural impact. Each region ought to generate strategies of their own, with those policies representing both the values and social mores of their respective peoples better than would a one-size-fits-all approach - in effect addressing the issue in a more decentralized, culturally sensitive manner.

Even if a region could opt out, its taxpayers would still have to fund this in the other regions.

If you have any ideas on how to approach that I would be happy to work with you. I just don't like seeing dollar amounts added to bills, with no implementation procedures, standards for receiving funds etc. We can't leave Scott's text in there as is, without adding some kind of procedures to implement it. I don't wnat to see this bill fail, either.

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 06, 2012, 01:31:11 pm »
Ignore

That's the position I'm in, too.

If the amendment passes, I'll be amending the amendment to take out the provision stating that unclaimed funds will be split amongst the other regions.

(Are you allowed to amend an amendment?)

Marokai Besieged
Marokai Blue
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 06, 2012, 03:43:13 pm »
Ignore

Nay.

As for Redalgo, I find it bizarre what people are changing their positions on in regards to this bill. Making the abortion exceptions more strict, gets your support. Adding funds for sex ed, that is outrageous and you can't support it. Huh?

What a weird reaction this bill has gotten. We get people arguing against any abortion restrictions whatsoever, regardless of the question of life; we get otherwise pro-choice people supporting strict abortion statute, but not sex ed money. You're all weird. Angry

Redalgo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2012, 05:31:50 pm »
Ignore

With all due respect to the good Senator Marokai...

This is a low-priority issue to me, and as is such I can afford to be staunchly idealistic and refuse to compromise without any feelings of regret if the bill fails. Adding funds for sex education and the provision of contraception is not outrageous to me (to the contrary, I think it is a wonderful idea), yet having the federal government handle that matter conflicts with my overarching convictions about which responsibilities of state ought to be vested in which tiers of a federalist government.

In regards to the exemptions for rape and incest, my attitude is the original language needlessly complicated the bill, created some potential for abuse of the provisions (e.g. falsely claiming to be a rape victim to get a third-trimester abortion one otherwise would not be allowed to have), and I am not convinced a reasonable person who was a rape victim or committed incest would take more than the first six months of their pregnancy to decide whether they should terminate. From my perspective, in the third trimester it's fair for the fetus to attain a handful of rights - with some of those coming at the expense of the mothers' being reduced.

Also, I will not deny being weird. xD

And NC Yankee, I am afraid I do not have any ideas. Under a more ideal set of conditions I would have plenty of time to spend on deliberating this bill, but as things are I haven't. That is one of a handful of reasons why I am not seeking re-election to the Senate anytime in the short-term future. My apologies for needing to bow out, but I now have other matters demanding my attention. I may come back here to discuss the bill before the final vote, but it is rather unlikely.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 05:38:15 pm by Redalgo »Logged

"I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to see realized." ~ Nelson Mandela
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 09, 2012, 01:24:49 am »
Ignore

2-5, which means we are stuck here till the 10th.

Come on people, this hasn't had a new vote on it since the 6th. Seven people voted in one day's time and the last three somehow manage to not in five.

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 09, 2012, 01:27:02 am »
Ignore

Instead of doing nothing here, we should start planning are next move? What can we get six votes on here. So far we have been running circles around this bill on important but ancillary issues. Is their even six votes to ban late term abortion, with or without any other additions?

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 09, 2012, 11:15:41 am »
Ignore

No Mr. Bond, I expect you talk!

No, I won't stop! You can't shut me up, you can't turn me off.

A subverted Bond villain quote and a George Carlin reference played straight.

Marokai Besieged
Marokai Blue
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 09, 2012, 07:12:58 pm »
Ignore

Instead of doing nothing here, we should start planning are next move? What can we get six votes on here. So far we have been running circles around this bill on important but ancillary issues. Is their even six votes to ban late term abortion, with or without any other additions?

I'd like to know the same, because I'm just as confused on what approach to take here. Some people are opposing it outright, others are trying to find smaller things to use as CYA material for voting to oppose it; people who would support it have weird ancillary conditions for doing so, but then that specific window dressing grossly offends someone else. Every direction the bill seems to try and go in always steps on someone else's toes.

Restricting very late-term abortions isn't an unpopular proposal, why is this so difficult?

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 10, 2012, 01:18:09 am »
Ignore

Maybe your side's "War on Women" crap has crossed into the game and made impossible for liberals to vote for any restrictions on abortion and remain in the clique. Tongue

Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 10, 2012, 02:03:39 am »
Ignore

Maybe your side's "War on Women" crap has crossed into the game and made impossible for liberals to vote for any restrictions on abortion and remain in the clique. Tongue

We know who started the War on Women here and it wasn't the left...

When I was in the third grade, I thought that I was Jewish
Because I could count, my nose was big, and I kept my bank account fullish
I told my mom, tears blurring my vision
He said, "Mort, you've loved God since before circumcision"
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 11, 2012, 12:39:48 am »
Ignore

There was a War on Women here? I never noticed. I didn't realized we had women to wage war on. Tongue Which gets back to my point. This game is small and if you suppress the opposition so much they give up, you kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Discussing the University bill earlier reminded me of something. There was a clause in that that stated "regions refusing to offer a location, wil lhave the money offered to other regions", or something like that. That bill had seven ayes, I wonder if any of them are amongst those making an issue of this "snooze you lose" clause on this amendment? Tongue 

Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 11, 2012, 12:48:27 am »
Ignore

Discussing the University bill earlier reminded me of something. There was a clause in that that stated "regions refusing to offer a location, wil lhave the money offered to other regions", or something like that. That bill had seven ayes, I wonder if any of them are amongst those making an issue of this "snooze you lose" clause on this amendment? Tongue 

The regions better get to work on that. Cheesy

When I was in the third grade, I thought that I was Jewish
Because I could count, my nose was big, and I kept my bank account fullish
I told my mom, tears blurring my vision
He said, "Mort, you've loved God since before circumcision"
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 12, 2012, 12:42:15 am »
Ignore

Vote on Amendment 51:12:

Aye (2): NC Yankee and Scott
Nay (5): Franzl, Hagrid, Marokai Blue, NVTowsend and Redalgo
Abstain (0):

Didn't Vote (3): Bacon King, Ben, and sbane

With time having expired, the amendment is defeated.

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 13, 2012, 12:05:55 am »
Ignore

Quote from: Amendment 51:19 by NC Yankee
Section 3: Funding for Safe-Sex Education and Contraceptive Services
1.$10,000,000 shall be appropriated to each region for the purpose of expanding safe-sex education programs and access to contraceptive services.
2. The Department of Internal Affairs shall be charged with designing a criteria of what consitutes a qualifying sex education program in each region.
3. The Department of Internal Affairs will be in charge of distributing all the said monies to each region.
4. Any region that fails to construct a qualifying program or expansion of services, will have their money witheld until the standards are met.

Sponsor Feedback: Unknown

HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 13, 2012, 12:12:03 am »
Ignore

Aye
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 12:27:34 am by HagridOfTheDeep »Logged

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2012, 12:20:57 am »
Ignore

Ah, there is no vote here. Tongue

HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 13, 2012, 12:27:55 am »
Ignore

I'm gettin' ahead of myself. Tongue

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 15, 2012, 03:00:30 am »
Ignore

Ah Hello, Marokai, people who voted nay on the previous amendment, give me some answers here.

Marokai Besieged
Marokai Blue
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 15, 2012, 04:57:12 pm »
Ignore

I'll deal with it, despite my objections to the existence of the DoIA. I'm not sure of the controversy outside of that, though? I'm friendly to it.

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 17, 2012, 01:03:12 am »
Ignore

Quote from: Amendment 51:19 by NC Yankee
Section 3: Funding for Safe-Sex Education and Contraceptive Services
1.$10,000,000 shall be appropriated to each region for the purpose of expanding safe-sex education programs and access to contraceptive services.
2. The Department of Internal Affairs shall be charged with designing a criteria of what consitutes a qualifying sex education program in each region.
3. The Department of Internal Affairs will be in charge of distributing all the said monies to each region.
4. Any region that fails to construct a qualifying program or expansion of services, will have their money witheld until the standards are met.

Sponsor Feedback: Friendly

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 19, 2012, 11:56:51 pm »
Ignore

The amendment has passed.

Where are people ate here? (Nothing here is misspelled, just a coded warning of what might consider doing if too many people are still being impossible on this. Tongue) Do we have six votes currently, or no?

Marokai Besieged
Marokai Blue
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 20, 2012, 01:52:55 am »
Ignore

Half the Senate feels like it's disappeared lately. Tongue

HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 20, 2012, 01:09:51 pm »
Ignore

I'm happy with the bill in its current form.

Sbane
sbane
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 20, 2012, 04:31:14 pm »
Ignore

Time to vote?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout