Breaking Bad and Weeds
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:06:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Breaking Bad and Weeds
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Breaking Bad and Weeds  (Read 3012 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 21, 2012, 02:56:38 PM »

I hate these shows. They try and make drug users and drug dealers as the protagonists, when infact, they're the antagonists.

A husband dies so a woman starts a drug business? A guy is ill so he starts selling meth?

Ridiculous. Drug users are the enemy. Period. If I had my way, they would vanish. J. Edgar style.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 03:06:44 PM »

You hate Breaking Bad?? Obviously you haven't watched the show. Walter White is hardly a hero character. He is a terrible human and his transformation has been difficult to watch. Part of you wants him to get caught. People are hardly cheering for him. He's an anti-hero.

Breaking Bad is the best show on TV and maybe one of the best shows ever.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 03:08:39 PM »

Ridiculous. Drug users are the enemy. Period. If I had my way, they would vanish. J. Edgar style.

Even those who smoke pot only?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 03:26:23 PM »
« Edited: August 21, 2012, 03:50:41 PM by Torie »

I hate these shows. They try and make drug users and drug dealers as the protagonists, when infact, they're the antagonists.

A husband dies so a woman starts a drug business? A guy is ill so he starts selling meth?

You really want law enforcement officials to become murderers, including murdering users, as opposed to just dealers to boot, is that really your opinion?  In fact, when "the man" commits murder one, to me that is an exacerbating circumstance, and the punishment should be the gas chamber. So with any justice, more than just the druggies will die.

By the way Naso, why don't you ever get in the pit to chat and defend yourself, as opposed to just making some "out there" comment, and then splitting?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 03:28:03 PM »

Weeds background is stupid, granted. Breaking Bad does not glorify drugs at all.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 04:39:26 PM »

Breaking Bad is the best show on television right now, and your description proves your ignorance. 
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 04:40:40 PM »

Naso, you're trying too hard these days.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 06:05:43 PM »

...drug users are the enemy? And should be disappeared?

I'm sure that'll be news to a whole slew of desperate homeless people and disaffected suburban teens. You're trying too hard, Naso.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 07:01:54 PM »

I'm sure you've heard it before, but you do know that alcohol is a drug and much more harmful to us than weed.  And as others have said, Breaking Bad doesn't show meth in a good light (that would be hard to do since meth is a horrible drug).
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 07:02:50 PM »

I sometimes watch "Breaking Bad". It's an awesome show. And like, I believe, Duke said, they're hardly "glorifying" selling and using drugs. I suppose we shouldn't watch mob movies anymore either.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 07:21:23 PM »

Perhaps I am trying to hard.

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 07:41:55 PM »

No, Naso! You have so much left to live for.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 07:42:37 PM »

Breaking Bad is a story of how a normal man got into the meth cooking business to leave money for his family and a story of how he transformed from that to a ruthless drug lord who poisons children and has lost all sense of right and wrong to build his drug empire. Walter White is no hero. Vince Gilligan is not glorifying him in any way. Instead, he is trying to show how drugs and that life has torn apart his family and nearly led to his and his family's death multiple times.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 09:22:55 PM »
« Edited: August 21, 2012, 09:38:42 PM by Paul Kemp »

lolnaso

Just wait for his thoughts on Murphy Brown...

EDIT: Also, what are your thoughts on "The Sopranos," Naso?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 09:37:09 PM »

So Naso if the police find a party where some people are smoking weed they should just gun down the people at the party? Or if some college student in a dorm is caught with pot they should tie him up and toss him in a river or something? I mean that's the logical extension of your proposal that drug users be "disappeared".
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 09:44:39 PM »

Breaking Bad is the best show on television right now, and your description proves your ignorance. 

Mad Men. Breaking Bad is second, though.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 10:10:19 PM »

Mad Men isn't technically on television right now. But yeah, last season of Mad Men is better than this season of Breaking Bad (so far at least).
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 11:18:58 AM »
« Edited: August 22, 2012, 11:20:41 AM by fezzyfestoon »

Sucks for you, and don't you smoke? Ignorance is sad...
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2012, 02:53:08 AM »
« Edited: September 16, 2012, 03:17:42 AM by Politico »

What?!?!? Dude, you need to watch Breaking Bad progress. It is about watching a "nice guy" slowly progress into a monster (a great warning about how immoral means to achieve a moral end can lead to unintended, disastrous results). Walter White is no longer a protagonist in any way, shape or form. Everybody is rooting against this guy now (even some real life meth dealers, I bet!). If you stuck with the show, I suspect you would actually like how it shows the dark side of the drug trade (and how it ends up corrupting ordinary people who get sucked into it for whatever reason).

I only watched the pilot of Weeds and did not like it.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 02:57:38 AM »
« Edited: September 16, 2012, 03:19:57 AM by Politico »

You hate Breaking Bad?? Obviously you haven't watched the show. Walter White is hardly a hero character. He is a terrible human and his transformation has been difficult to watch. Part of you wants him to get caught. People are hardly cheering for him. He's an anti-hero.

Breaking Bad is the best show on TV and maybe one of the best shows ever.

This. I cannot stress enough how good this show is. The first season is only above average, but it is exceptional thereafter. It is possibly the best show ever (up there with The Wire and The Sopranos), and easily the best unfinished show. I cannot wait for the last (half of the last) season.

I am pretty sure the show will end with Walter White dying, but I am curious as to how it will happen (my bet: Jesse does the right thing), who else will pay in the process, and seeing exactly how low he can go...
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2012, 06:17:26 AM »
« Edited: September 16, 2012, 06:33:48 AM by Old Europe »

Ah great, another one who doesn't understand the actual meaning of the terms "protagonist" and "antagonist".

"Protagonist" doesn't necessarily mean that one is the hero of a story, but rather the central character, from whose point of view the story is told. That being said, having a "evil" protagonist  doesn't neccessarily mean that the creators of a fictional work endorse said characters' actions or worldview in any way. Otherwise, you would have to infer from the Godfather films that Franics Ford Coppola supported organized crime syndicates like the Mafia. And the "antagonist" is merely the protagonist's opponent. Of course, the antagonist doesn't have to be a "bad guy" either.

I'm not that familliar with Weeds, but by the fifth season of Breaking Bad it has become quite apparant that protagonist Walter White has crossed the moral event horizon by starting to outright murder other characters (among them likeable ones). It has also become clear that Walter White isn't really in the meth business to pay his medical bills, but because of his deep-rooted inferiority complex. For the first time in his life, he is somebody. He has become "Heisenberg", the legendary meth cook of the American Southwest. (In the beginning, Beaking Bad was also an interesting morality play which asked the question: What would you be capable of doing if you knew you had a terminal illness? Would you really care about "right" and "wrong" anymore?)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies