Changes in Black & Asian shares of the Electorate.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:44:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Changes in Black & Asian shares of the Electorate.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Changes in Black & Asian shares of the Electorate.  (Read 687 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 11, 2012, 01:49:12 PM »

Everyone knows that the white share of the electorate is decreasing while the Hispanic share is increasing. Where are blacks and Asians in this? Is their proportion of the electorate growing, shrinking or holding it's own?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 02:00:31 PM »

Everyone knows that the white share of the electorate is decreasing while the Hispanic share is increasing. Where are blacks and Asians in this? Is their proportion of the electorate growing, shrinking or holding it's own?

Are you referring to figures projected to mid-century?  Blacks are staying static at around 13% or so, while the Asian electorate will be expanding exponentially (albeit from a very low floor) to nearly 10%. 
Benj

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 03:13:31 PM »
« Edited: November 11, 2012, 03:20:01 PM by Benj »

As a percent of the electorate, black voters stayed the same from 2008 to 2012. There was a dramatic increase from 2004 to 2008 due to improved turnout; it's not clear how well that increase will hold up once Obama is gone (but it certainly could be the new normal). In the long term, black voters nationally are likely to be more or less stable.

However, the distribution of the black vote is changing. The black vote is dropping in many Northern states, and also in California, while growing significantly in the South, especially Georgia. By 2030 or so, Georgia is likely to have surpassed New York as the state with the largest black population, though Florida may briefly be on top around 2020 before Georgia surpasses both states.

(That's in absolute terms, not as a percentage of the population. As a percentage of the population, Mississippi has the highest black population, though I suppose by 2030 Georgia could have surpassed it.)

The Asian population and Asian voters are growing at about an equal rate with Hispanics, though they're starting from a lower base, and the areas of Asian growth are not the same as the areas of Hispanic growth (though some, like California and Nevada, are).
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 03:23:05 PM »

As a percent of the electorate, black voters stayed the same from 2008 to 2012. There was a dramatic increase from 2004 to 2008 due to improved turnout; it's not clear how well that increase will hold up once Obama is gone (but it certainly could be the new normal). In the long term, black voters nationally are likely to be more or less stable.

However, the distribution of the black vote is changing. The black vote is dropping in many Northern states, and also in California, while growing significantly in the South, especially Georgia. By 2030 or so, Georgia is likely to have surpassed New York as the state with the largest black population, though Florida may briefly be on top around 2020 before Georgia surpasses both states.

(That's in absolute terms, not as a percentage of the population. As a percentage of the population, Mississippi has the highest black population, though I suppose by 2030 Georgia could have surpassed it.)

No mention of Maryland? 

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 10:31:37 AM »

The neither-Black-nor-White population of Maryland is growing a bit too fast for that.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 01:16:34 PM »

Source?  I'm not saying that I don't believe this, I'd just be fascinated to see the numbers. Smiley
Benj

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 01:44:26 PM »

Source?  I'm not saying that I don't believe this, I'd just be fascinated to see the numbers. Smiley

Just as a start: http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/briefs/c2010br-06.pdf - See pages 7 and 8. Also, while those show growth in absolute terms, in many places (Illinois, Michigan, New York, California), that's a decline in relative terms (i.e., the black population is growing, but more slowly than the non-black population, so blacks are becoming a smaller portion of the overall population).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies