Death Penalty Question
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:14:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Death Penalty Question
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Poll
Question: What punishment do you think a convict found guilty of murder, rape, and pedophilia should get?
Republican: Death Penalty

Republican: Life in Prison w/out Parole

Democrat: Death Penalty

Democrat: Life in Prison w/out Parole

independent/third party: Death Penalty

independent/third party: Life in Prison w/out Parole

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 116

Author Topic: Death Penalty Question  (Read 17662 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: December 09, 2012, 10:07:27 PM »

With over 100 votes, it's too late to change this poll now, but what I intended to ask was whether you all would still oppose the death penalty if someone were convicted of all three crimes (murder, rape, and pedophilia/child molestation) involving the same victim(s).

Yes.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #126 on: December 09, 2012, 10:14:38 PM »

The point of being against the death penalty is to accept that we aren't going to use it on people who have committed the very worst crimes imaginable. It doesn't make sense to say we need to ban capital punishment and then renege once someone does something we find really horrible.

So yes.
Icehand Gino
Rookie
France

« Reply #127 on: December 10, 2012, 07:25:56 AM »

With over 100 votes, it's too late to change this poll now, but what I intended to ask was whether you all would still oppose the death penalty if someone were convicted of all three crimes (murder, rape, and pedophilia/child molestation) involving the same victim(s).

Yes.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #128 on: December 16, 2012, 12:22:25 AM »
« Edited: December 18, 2012, 08:30:55 PM by Spenstar3D »

Democratic, life without parole.

You can reverse a life sentence if later evidence reveals a person's innocence. You cannot do the same with death.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #129 on: December 18, 2012, 07:13:07 AM »

Some people here lack reading comprehension skills (or more likely just read it the way they want it to read).  I knew what you were going after when I voted.
Indy, DP

We're talking about somebody that rapes and kills a little kid here.  Assuming there is a ton of evidence against the guy (like video tape of the act, DNA, witness(es)), I see no reason a person like that should live.  I don't care if the studies say it doesn't prevent crime, it might make the victim's family feel just a little bit better and that by itself is enough for me.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #130 on: December 18, 2012, 08:33:52 AM »

The Connecticut school shooting can make you question the death penalty but even after it I still have to say no to the death penalty. Of course lucky for us most of the time they kill themselves. Of course I generally keep this opinion to myself since most people I know and in general would be outraged if I said we should not kill the Connecticut school shooter had he lived. I wonder if he had lived if Connecticut would have brought back the death penalty for heinous crimes. I like that Michigan hasn't had the death penalty since 1846, we were way ahead of everyone.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #131 on: December 18, 2012, 08:35:56 AM »

The Connecticut school shooting can make you question the death penalty but even after it I still have to say no to the death penalty. Of course lucky for us most of the time they kill themselves. Of course I generally keep this opinion to myself since most people I know and in general would be outraged if I said we should not kill the Connecticut school shooter had he lived. I wonder if he had lived if Connecticut would have brought back the death penalty for heinous crimes. I like that Michigan hasn't had the death penalty since 1846, we were way ahead of everyone.

The thing is: People who call themselves opposed to the death penalty and then make exceptions for "extreme" cases aren't in reality opposed to the death penalty.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #132 on: December 18, 2012, 10:16:18 AM »

The thing is: People who call themselves opposed to the death penalty and then make exceptions for "extreme" cases aren't in reality opposed to the death penalty.

And I personally welcome them to the "correct" side of the question.  Tongue
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #133 on: December 18, 2012, 10:37:50 AM »

And I personally welcome them to the "correct" side of the question.  Tongue

The barbaric, blood thirsty, reactionary side of the question? Smiley
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #134 on: December 18, 2012, 10:49:58 AM »
« Edited: December 18, 2012, 10:54:11 AM by Grumpy Santa »

And I personally welcome them to the "correct" side of the question.  Tongue

The death penalty ain't supposed to be soft and warm and fuzzy treatment, Franzl.  
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #135 on: December 18, 2012, 11:02:04 AM »

And I personally welcome them to the "correct" side of the question.  Tongue

The death penalty ain't supposed to be soft and warm and fuzzy treatment, Franzl.  

Maybe you really are grumpy... Wink
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #136 on: December 18, 2012, 11:04:03 AM »

Well I think we've agreed to disagree on this issue long ago....  Smiley
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #137 on: December 18, 2012, 08:33:07 PM »

ONLY time I'll EVER invoke slippery slope. If we make an exception for mass murderers, what's stopping us from hanging people who committed other crimes and should have gotten life without parole.

The only exception to my strong opposition to the death penalty is that I'm glad Bin Laden was killed.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #138 on: December 19, 2012, 09:32:32 PM »

ONLY time I'll EVER invoke slippery slope. If we make an exception for mass murderers, what's stopping us from hanging people who committed other crimes and should have gotten life without parole.

The only exception to my strong opposition to the death penalty is that I'm glad Bin Laden was killed.

Exactly. The death penalty is only reserved for protecting the security of the state when a threat large enough to challenge or has credibly challenged the state emerges.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #139 on: December 22, 2012, 10:34:21 AM »

I don't think there's a slippery slope for use of the DP if convicted of multiple murders committed on separate days.

I read the question as a single murder by a person with a previous record of sexual assault, or with that sexual assault as part of the murder. I would not generally favor the death penalty in that case. If however it was for a subsequent murder I think it should be eligible for the death penalty. This leaves DP as a punishment for serial killers. It also provides for a harsher punishment for murderers who kill again while in prison for life.
Wyoming Conservative
Rookie
Bahamas
« Reply #140 on: January 01, 2013, 11:51:00 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2013, 12:24:23 AM by Wyoming Conservative »

Republican/death penalty.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #141 on: January 05, 2013, 03:35:19 PM »

The point of being against the death penalty is to accept that we aren't going to use it on people who have committed the very worst crimes imaginable. It doesn't make sense to say we need to ban capital punishment and then renege once someone does something we find really horrible.

So yes.

Even the horrific gang-rape-turned-murder in India doesn't faze you? 
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #142 on: January 05, 2013, 03:37:49 PM »

So yes.

There are no "even ...?" scenarios. Either it's right or it's wrong.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #143 on: January 05, 2013, 05:43:44 PM »

So yes.

That case is not a good argument for the death penalty.  (Unless one is going to argue that gang rape in general should be subject to the death penalty.)  There was no intent to kill, just a depraved indifference to the possible effects of their actions.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #144 on: January 05, 2013, 07:08:40 PM »

So yes.

There are no "even ...?" scenarios. Either it's right or it's wrong.

That's probably the biggest thing that annoys me about the death penalty: people who react to opposition to the death penalty with "you wouldn't even want to execute ______?" It's such a blatantly invalid argument that I wonder what possesses them to even make it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies