Opinions of President Lyndon Johnson?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:53:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinions of President Lyndon Johnson?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Opinion of President Lyndon B. Johnson?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: Opinions of President Lyndon Johnson?  (Read 4198 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2012, 05:28:04 PM »

One of the top 3 presidents ever, easily. Vietnam is a huge black mark but overshadowed by the 1964 CRA, the 1965 VRA, Medicare, and the Great Society.

Nah. Lincoln is clearly #1 (though I can understand non-Americans liking FDR), while #2 and #3 go to FDR and Washington. Fourth and fifth are tougher, but I'd go with Teddy and Harry.

You never fail to amuse me with your comically backwards presidential rankings.

So you view most historians as being "backwards"?

On this topic, their lists are usually in backwards order, yes.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2012, 06:01:35 PM »

But if your broader point is that we shouldn't have been in Vietnam, I disagree. We didn't have much of a choice. The war could have been handled better, but fundamentally, we were correct to intervene in Vietnam.

Do you feel the same way about Iraq? Or is there some lovely, convenient excuse as to why the war started by a Republican is different?
I was going to post the same thing, but could not word it without sounding like a truther. Kudos, you worded it perfectly Wink
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2012, 06:31:25 PM »

Yeah, the libertarian rationale for sorting Presidents is so f**ked up it's hilarious. You can be sure their top 5 Presidents all belong in the bottom 15 and conversely.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2012, 07:47:18 PM »

So you view most historians as being "backwards"?
that's a pretty sensible view to take.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2012, 08:23:31 PM »

LBJ remains one my favorite Presidents.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2012, 06:51:52 AM »

But if your broader point is that we shouldn't have been in Vietnam, I disagree. We didn't have much of a choice. The war could have been handled better, but fundamentally, we were correct to intervene in Vietnam.

Do you feel the same way about Iraq? Or is there some lovely, convenient excuse as to why the war started by a Republican is different?

Iraq was not part of a broader conflict, despite what Bush attempted to do it tying it to the War on Terror. Vietnam was clearly a proxy war in the midst of the Cold War, and that's why we had to intervene. South Vietnam was our ally and we couldn't leave it out in the cold. There's a huge, fundamental difference between the War in Vietnam and the Iraq War. The Iraq War had absolutely no purpose and nothing can justify our intervention there. At least in Vietnam we had a justification in stopping the spread of communism, which is, in my opinion, a worthwhile justification.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2012, 07:03:47 AM »

There's also the fact that the South Vietnamese regime was objectively more horrible than al-Maliki & friends.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2012, 07:25:15 AM »

Massive FF. The decision to intervene in Vietnam is more complicated then many people seem to think.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2012, 06:18:39 PM »

Massive HP.  A vile and crude racist and political opportunist who posed as a civil rights champion to get ahead politically.  Removed the enforcement clauses of the 1957 Civil Rights Act and voted against the final bill.  Escalated Vietnam beyond what was necessary, made thoilusands, if not millions, of Americans dependent on government handouts, and reinforced the FDR-liberal Democrat dominance of American politics that continues to this day.

"I'll have those nig**rs voting Democratic for the next 200 years." -Lyndon Johnson, after signng the 1964 Civil Rights Act. 

"Son, when I appoint a nig**r to the court, I want everyone to know he's a nig**r."-Lyndon Johnson on black court appointments
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2012, 02:45:28 PM »

Another reason he was a massive HP: he appointed Ramsey Clark as Attorney General.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2012, 04:12:22 PM »

One of the huggest HP's in American History.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2012, 04:34:01 PM »

Iraq was not part of a broader conflict, despite what Bush attempted to do it tying it to the War on Terror. Vietnam was clearly a proxy war in the midst of the Cold War, and that's why we had to intervene. South Vietnam was our ally and we couldn't leave it out in the cold. There's a huge, fundamental difference between the War in Vietnam and the Iraq War. The Iraq War had absolutely no purpose and nothing can justify our intervention there. At least in Vietnam we had a justification in stopping the spread of communism, which is, in my opinion, a worthwhile justification.
It could be argued that our intervention in Iraq was the same as Vietnam-helping our allies. Not that I like the Iraq war or anything....

stopping the spread of communism, which is, in my opinion, a worthwhile justification.
What a weak argument. You put Politico to shame in terms of your hackishness.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2012, 09:15:29 PM »

He was both a HP and a FF.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2012, 12:08:25 AM »

"I'll have those nig**rs voting Democratic for the next 200 years." -Lyndon Johnson, after signng the 1964 Civil Rights Act. 

"Son, when I appoint a nig**r to the court, I want everyone to know he's a nig**r."-Lyndon Johnson on black court appointments

Citation. ing. Needed.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2012, 12:56:39 AM »

One of the greatest and most effective Presidents in US History. A definite FF. If not for the war in Vietnam, he'd be our Ronald Reagan.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2012, 01:33:47 AM »

Citation. ing. Needed.
Did you try Google?  I understand most people that are LBJ fanboys don't like to admit he was a racist asshat that only passed civil rights legislation for political reasons, but the evidence (even if you ignore the above the quotes) is pretty strong that he was.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2012, 09:24:30 AM »

Uh. You know, it's not very often that we agree on things.

On that matter, I don't really dislike LBJ. A mixture of good, bad, and ugly. Still quite ambivalent about him.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2012, 01:02:03 AM »

LBJ ordering pants was hysterical. You all should google that since were on the subject of googling Johnson Wink
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2012, 03:34:39 PM »

Vietnam was clearly a proxy war in the midst of the Cold War, and that's why we had to intervene.
If the US didn't intervene, it wouldn't have been a proxy war.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2012, 04:16:47 PM »

Yeah, the libertarian rationale for sorting Presidents is so f**ked up it's hilarious. You can be sure their top 5 Presidents all belong in the bottom 15 and conversely.

Libertarians' favorite President must be William H. Harrison, who did nothing, outside of getting cold during his inaugural speech.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2012, 04:21:43 PM »

Libertarians' favorite President must be William H. Harrison, who did nothing, outside of getting cold during his inaugural speech.
In theory, yes. My all around favorite was Grover Cleveland.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2012, 04:42:02 PM »

Yes.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2012, 07:12:55 PM »

Wormyguy himself straight up said this. "He did the least harm".
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2012, 11:31:05 PM »

Yes.

Thanks for proving my point. Wink
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2012, 02:07:57 AM »

A [inks]hole FF.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to: