Romney: Barack Obama Voters 'Dependent On Government
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:26:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney: Barack Obama Voters 'Dependent On Government
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Romney: Barack Obama Voters 'Dependent On Government  (Read 7873 times)
Averroës Nix
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2012, 08:12:02 PM »

He realizes that most of these 47% of people who receive more from the government than they pay in income taxes are seniors who are his base, right? Wait no, he's as far removed from reality as the rest of the crazy fascists in charge of the GOP these days.

...and a few of them are financiers using tax loss carryforward to avoid paying taxes on capital gains.

(Of course, this is one of the leading theories about why Romney is so reluctant to release more of his tax returns.)
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2012, 08:14:28 PM »

Who's not dependent on government? That's part of living in a normal society.

^This.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2012, 08:30:25 PM »

This guy makes Dukakis look gaffe-free. Keep going Romney, maybe you'll expand the Democratic margin in the Senate while you're at it.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2012, 04:53:45 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Thank you. Says it all.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2012, 04:55:23 AM »

My older sister and her husband (who voted for Kerry and Obama in 2004 and 2008, respectively) sent me a text a few hours ago. She said her and her husband had been undecided and saw this on the news tonight and that this "sealed the deal" that she will vote for Governor Romney.

Her exact text:

"Everything he said in that video is true. The only people that want Obama back are the ones who feel they are owed something. I don't see the problem with him saying that because it's what so many of us all say everyday."

I don't know how this resonates, but two of the Obama voters in my family just switched to Romney.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2012, 04:57:45 AM »

My older sister and her husband (who voted for Kerry and Obama in 2004 and 2008, respectively) sent me a text a few hours ago. She said her and her husband had been undecided and saw this on the news tonight and that this "sealed the deal" that she will vote for Governor Romney.

Her exact text:

"Everything he said in that video is true. The only people that want Obama back are the ones who feel they are owed something. I don't see the problem with him saying that because it's what so many of us all say everyday."

I don't know how this resonates, but two of the Obama voters in my family just switched to Romney.

It's mindless stupidity, but there are people out there like that.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2012, 05:00:45 AM »

Her exact text:

You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2012, 05:18:26 AM »

You could tell in the primary that Mitt's gaffes were gonna get him into trouble. Even McCain wasn't really this bad, he only really had the seven houses thing.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2012, 05:26:05 AM »

Her exact text:

SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2012, 05:33:12 AM »

Her exact text:

Statesman
Rookie
United States

« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2012, 06:03:47 AM »

If that's true, they're still outliers. This is going to damage Romney heavily.

This week will probably be looked at as the week Romney lost the election, and we haven't even gotten to the debates. Something has seriously backfired with his campaign the last month.

I think Romney ran a campaign too far to the right when he really should have been appealing to the center all along, and he's done a poor job of re-centering his campaign around independents. If you're trying to be a president for all Americans, it's unwise to just write off 47% of the electorate from the start, even if cracking 53% seems unlikely.

One thing is for certain, Mitt seems like he's unable to go a week without making a major gaffe, or without having something he said or did months or years ago come back to haunt him.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2012, 06:06:43 AM »

When this election is over, this is going to be compared with Gerald Ford's "Poland is not under Soviet domination" comment from 1976.

It's that bad.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2012, 06:23:17 AM »

Who's not dependent on government? That's part of living in a normal society.

In point of fact it is the rich like Romney who depend on government - it is from whence all their privilege flows.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2012, 06:34:08 AM »

WOW! This is pretty bad. Now it is absolute key for the Obama camp NOT to overplay it. Let the media do their thing on this. The Obama camp should not want to get swamped in a "class warfare" debate here. They should simply point out how Obama wants to be president of ALL americans, not just half of America, how Obama doesn't think it is fair to say that senior citizens make unreasonable claims on the government, etc.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2012, 06:37:02 AM »

Her exact text:

Clearly Mr. Romney can expect at least a 5 point "insult/write off half of the nation" bounce. Smashing, my boy. Positively smashing.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2012, 06:43:35 AM »

Why is Romney repeating the 47%-dont-pay-taxes lie anyway?  That was debunked years ago...
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2012, 06:44:18 AM »

Why is Romney repeating the 47%-dont-pay-taxes lie anyway?  That was debunked years ago...

Because it resonates well with the kind of people he talked to when the video was filmed...
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2012, 06:52:19 AM »

Because as his campaign manager said he won't let his campaign be ran by fact-checkers.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2012, 07:03:05 AM »

I do so enjoy these Mr Burns moments.

Still, I'd caution against assuming that this will do any actual damage. It might do, of course, but never forget that Labour actually gained Rochdale in 2010.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2012, 07:08:06 AM »

Her exact text:

Ohio just became a lean GOP state.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2012, 07:15:22 AM »

And this sort of response is why I disagree that this will all that adversely affect Romney's campaign.  It's insulting to the people who are voting for Obama, but most of the people who would vote for Romney probably agree with it and say "of course".  It's unsurprising to both sides that he'd hold such a view.
So rightwing that I broke the Political Compass!
Rockingham

« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2012, 07:15:41 AM »

If that's true, they're still outliers. This is going to damage Romney heavily.

If you're trying to be a president for all Americans, it's unwise to just write off 47% of the electorate from the start, even if cracking 53% seems unlikely.
The latter is BS. Even in 2008 Obama didn't quite break 53%... I doubt Romney's hypothetical ceiling is higher then that.

I'm skeptical that this will hurt him. His statement was only inaccurate in so far as it ignored Obama supporters that do not identify as victims/entitled to assistance, and almost all those supporters consider other segments of the population as victims entitled to assistance. Most voters won't care for that lack of nuance.

I doubt it will alienate Republican-leaning elderly or lower class whites away from him, because such voters don't identify as "dependent on the government"(I recall their was a survey some time ago that said the majority of people on Social Security, not to mention various other government programs, don't associate those programs with the government).
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2012, 07:27:04 AM »

BTW, Ari Fleischer might be the worst Republican surrogate by far. He went out yesterday and not only embraced Mitt's remarks by he said that Romney's is right that middle class must pay higher taxes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj-EuYcNK-Y
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2012, 07:29:44 AM »

Did Today and the other early morning news shows devote time to this?  Or did they just gloss over and let it go?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2012, 07:42:58 AM »

And this sort of response is why I disagree that this will all that adversely affect Romney's campaign.  It's insulting to the people who are voting for Obama, but most of the people who would vote for Romney probably agree with it and say "of course".  It's unsurprising to both sides that he'd hold such a view.

Yes; a gaffe is only damaging (genuinely damaging) if it alters perceptions.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies