Hatch "is an old guy... He may die before his term is through"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:52:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Hatch "is an old guy... He may die before his term is through"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hatch "is an old guy... He may die before his term is through"  (Read 777 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 18, 2012, 11:04:24 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2012/09/18/quote_of_the_day.html

I'm not a fan of Hatch, but this is fairly disguisting.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 11:14:43 AM »

Whoa.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 12:06:38 PM »

It reminds me when, in 2009, Rush predicted that the healthcare bill would be called the "Ted Kennedy Memorial Healthcare Act."
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 12:08:10 PM »

It reminds me when, in 2009, Rush predicted that the healthcare bill would be called the "Ted Kennedy Memorial Healthcare Act."

...that isn't even close to the same (unless it was said before he died) and it wasn't far-fetched.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 12:14:07 PM »
« Edited: September 18, 2012, 12:25:03 PM by MilesC56 »

...that isn't even close to the same (unless it was said before he died) and it wasn't far-fetched.

It was said before he died. I put 2009 to specify that, but I was thinking he died in 2010.

But yes, Phil, shame on me for bringing that up. 
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 12:17:37 PM »

Well, he can afford to say stuff like this I suppose.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 12:35:10 PM »

You don't want to put that (valid) point quite that bluntly.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 12:38:02 PM »

He doesn't have anything to lose in Utah, I suppose. Still a pretty disgusting thing to say.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 12:40:07 PM »

Can someone remind me why this is so disgusting but it was perfectly acceptable to say the same about McCain? And before anyone decides to be a smart ass, it was said before Palin was nominated, too.  Tongue
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 12:42:44 PM »

Can someone remind me why this is so disgusting but it was perfectly acceptable to say the same about McCain? And before anyone decides to be a smart ass, it was said before Palin was nominated, too.  Tongue

I don't remember Obama (or his campaign) saying anything to that extent. That would be the equivalent.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 12:45:49 PM »

I don't remember Obama (or his campaign) saying anything to that extent. That would be the equivalent.

Yeah, it was the pundits who were saying it and not only because McCain was old but also because he was a cancer survivor with a bad history of men in his family dying young from heart problems.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 12:47:36 PM »

Fair enough but just so I understand: it's wrong for a candidate to openly say it but not disgusting for others to?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 12:52:46 PM »

Fair enough but just so I understand: it's wrong for a candidate to openly say it but not disgusting for others to?

No, you're right. But it's still a little different what (irrelevant) people (more or less anonymously) say on an Internet thread and what people seeking public office say.

The latter is and should be held to a higher standard.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 12:54:14 PM »

No, you're right. But it's still a little different what (irrelevant) people (more or less anonymously) say on an Internet thread and what people seeking public office say.

The latter is and should be held to a higher standard.

Fair enough.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 02:32:44 PM »

It's true though, and true for exceptionally old politicians of either party. I would say the same for Lautenberg, the two Hawaiian senators, and the rest. Hatch is really old, and though he's in fairly good health now, he could break down within a few years. Not that it'd change anything though, since the inevitably Republican governor of Utah would appoint a Hatch-style Republican to the Senate.

A bit blunt and tasteless, but kind of true. Howell doesn't have a chance though, so this means nothing.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 02:46:14 PM »

A-hole. That said, I do hope that Hatch is serious about this being the final term. Personally I don't think anyone should be running again past the age of 75.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 02:59:08 PM »

No. They are both exerable comments.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 05:36:22 PM »

Damn. This equals out Akin comments. We've just lost an otherwise toss-up race.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 06:23:28 PM »

What?  Hatch was gonna wreck this guy, no matter what.
Mister Twister

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 09:52:01 PM »

It's about time there was some backlash against old fossils in Congress who no longer understand how the world works. Nothing pisses me off more when some old-ass congresscritter tries to pass a bill regulating the Internet when they can barely use email. This is why I like Murphy in Connectict - he is young and in his 30s but I am concerned about that senate race.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2012, 11:20:13 PM »

A-hole. That said, I do hope that Hatch is serious about this being the final term. Personally I don't think anyone should be running again past the age of 75.

I don't think this next term will be Hatch's last, simply because Hatch hasn't indicated a likely successor. He seems to be the kind of guy who would "anoint" a successor in case he died or wanted to retire. As of now, there's no one I can think of that would be a plausible appointee if Hatch dies or abruptly retires, though it's too early to tell.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2012, 04:45:09 AM »

LoL. Of course he wasn't. Now, yes, he is. Democrats will pick up every senate seat this year, - Wyoming.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2012, 04:50:05 AM »

LoL. Of course he wasn't. Now, yes, he is. Democrats will pick up every senate seat this year, - Wyoming.

Damn right. Democrats will pick up MT, CA, MD, etc. among others.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies