Republicans: What faction do you belong to?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:56:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Republicans: What faction do you belong to?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who do you identify the most with?
New Right

Religious Right

Corporate Right

Libertarian Right

Old Right

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: Republicans: What faction do you belong to?  (Read 5313 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2012, 03:06:22 PM »

Out of those listed probably the Libertarian Right, though I wouldn't describe my philosophy as such.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2014, 11:02:02 AM »

Not a Republican; but I fit in with both the Old Right and the Religious Right.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2014, 11:06:52 AM »

If I were a Republican, I'd be in the Religious Right, but it would be an awkward fit.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2014, 12:02:15 PM »

Libertarian Right is closest, but I don't have anarchist sympathies so it doesn't really apply.

I'm part of the Neoliberal Right, which is basically an updated version of the Old Right backbenchers. Unlike the Old Right, the Neoliberal Right is designed to quash the Great Society, rather than pander to its proponents and then hijack it for the Republican Party (Nixon/Ford).

Strongest political ally is New Democrats, and that's why the Democratic Party works feverishly to weed them out of the party, including the installation of our current dunderhead-in-chief, rather than Hillary.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2014, 12:21:36 PM »

Libertarian Right, with a few teaspoons of Corporate Right and Old Right thrown in.

2012 was such a long time ago
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2014, 12:32:40 PM »

Corporate Right, I'd say.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2014, 12:33:18 PM »

Hopefully you do one of these for Democrats, too!
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2014, 01:19:14 PM »

Hopefully you do one of these for Democrats, too!
He did
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2014, 04:34:18 PM »

The Tea Party is the modern manifestation of the Libertarian Right, with leading figures such as Gary Johnson.

lolwat
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2014, 04:39:22 PM »
« Edited: October 13, 2014, 04:47:49 PM by Branden Cordeiro »

Corporate Right with New Right foreign policy thrown in.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2014, 04:45:08 PM »

A mixture of Libertarian Right domestic policy and New Right foreign policy.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2014, 05:53:51 PM »

New Right
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2014, 07:01:55 PM »
« Edited: October 13, 2014, 07:08:03 PM by Frodo »

When I was a Republican, you could say I belonged to the New Right faction, considering how much I admired John McCain -and more or less in agreement with his policies.  In fact that I did not leave the GOP until after the Bush administration's incompetence in rebuilding Iraq (and dealing with the subsequent insurgency) in the wake of Saddam Hussein's fall was revealed for all to see.  
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2014, 07:37:53 PM »

When I was a Republican, you could say I belonged to the New Right faction, considering how much I admired John McCain -and more or less in agreement with his policies.  In fact that I did not leave the GOP until after the Bush administration's incompetence in rebuilding Iraq (and dealing with the subsequent insurgency) in the wake of Saddam Hussein's fall was revealed for all to see.  

So you didn't like one Republican's policies but did like McCain's, switched parties, didn't vote for said Republican you liked (I assume) and are now planning to vote Hillary a full two years in advance regardless of who the GOP nominates?  Come on, something else had to have been at play.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2014, 10:56:14 PM »

I wouldn't put the Tea Party in Libertarian Right. Most of them tend to be extremely socially conservative.

Anyway, I'm a softer version of the Libertarian Right with some sympathies for the Corporate Right. I am sympathetic in the sense that I appreciate their moderation.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2014, 11:05:33 PM »

If I was a Republican, I would be in the Libertarian Right. Ranked in my favor:

1. Libertarian
2. Old
3. Corporate
4. New
5. Religious
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2014, 11:28:21 PM »

Definitely the "Corporate Right," though I have never heard it called that.  I'm fairly socially liberal (though there are a few issues like gun control and the death penalty where I lean more conservative) and am fiscally moderate but pro-business.  I don't support slashing necessary spending or overly irresponsible tax cuts (not saying income taxes aren't too high; they are), but I believe in business friendly tax codes, regulations and economic environments.  That probably has a lot to do with my college major, LOL.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2014, 11:38:53 PM »

Corporate Right, with a tinge of Libertarian Right, I guess?

I'm guessing you guys don't register by party in Indiana?  I couldn't find any stats online.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2014, 05:38:30 AM »

Corporate Right
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2014, 11:15:18 PM »

So you didn't like one Republican's policies but did like McCain's, switched parties, didn't vote for said Republican you liked (I assume) and are now planning to vote Hillary a full two years in advance regardless of who the GOP nominates?  Come on, something else had to have been at play.

I didn't support John McCain because of his positions on the issues, which differed little from his principal rival (and anointed front-runner), George W. Bush.  It was his biography, his maverick reputation within the GOP, and the David vs. Goliath dynamic in the race that seized my imagination at the time. When I said (and admittedly it was poorly worded) that I was in agreement with his policies, I in fact was -being a moderately conservative Republican at the time.  That wasn't meant to suggest that that was the main reason why I supported him.

I remained a Republican even after I came to college -and voted accordingly. In fact, I didn't leave the party even in the run-up to the invasion of Iraq -which I opposed for reasons I have already stated ad nauseum in prior threads.  For despite my misgivings, I still wanted us to win not only the war, but also the peace -for which the success (or failure) of the Occupation was crucial.  When it was finally made clear to me in 2004 the utter incompetence of the Bush administration in this regard, I made my break with the GOP.  How could I not, considering how closely identified the party was with the administration?  I lost faith not only in the Bush administration, but also the GOP as being responsible stewards of our national security.  That was the original reason I eventually joined the Democratic Party. 

As time passed, I began questioning the assumptions underlying my conservatism.  Being in college, exposed to new and different ideas, philosophies, and ideologies (and people -let's face it, I was in Seattle.  I can't deny that my surroundings played a role) can do that.  So, one by one, the tethers that tied me to the GOP were cut.  I shifted to the left.  Being young, I went overboard in my rejection of the party.  So that by the time I came here, I was nearly as far to the left as TNF.  But as I got older and matured, working full-time and paying taxes, I moved more to the center-left.  Or more accurately, I got more pragmatic.  It's funny how having a real stake in the game can change your perspective from that of an idealistic college student to a full-fledged citizen and taxpayer.  You care more about how your money is spent, and less about high ideals. 
-------------

It has been quite a journey of self-discovery, but it is safe to assume that my fundamental shift to the left (however moderated by time) and my change of allegiance to the Democratic Party is final and irrevocable.   I have nothing in common with the GOP now.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2014, 11:18:27 PM »

The New Right is probably closest to me. If only because of foreign policy.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2014, 11:34:12 PM »

Somewhere between the Libertarian Right and the New Right, though closer to the former and including some views that don't fit in with either group (such as about climate change, for instance).
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2014, 12:19:56 PM »

Humanistic liberalism is far more "idealistic" than scientific Marxism. Anyone approaching the latter as some high ideal philosophy is doing it wrong.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies