Republicans: What faction do you belong to? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:04:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Republicans: What faction do you belong to? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who do you identify the most with?
New Right

Religious Right

Corporate Right

Libertarian Right

Old Right

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: Republicans: What faction do you belong to?  (Read 5351 times)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: September 19, 2012, 05:58:29 PM »

Either new right or corporate right, I don't fit especially well in any of these.  And Pat Buchanan is not a racist.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 12:03:54 PM »

All of the above and yet at same time, none of them entirely. Tongue Perhaps the best for me would be a fiscally conservative, anti-populist New Rightist, if such is possible. I consider myself an inheritor of Burke and Hamilton, yet with the lessons of hindsight about the negative impacts of gov't going to far during various periods of the 20th century and today. But in spite of that, I do think there is a limited role for Gov't to play. At the same time, I hate the idea of the gov't actively deciding specific winners and losers in most instances so that is more Libertarian then a corporate rightist. I also think that while a strong federal gov't is necessary just like Hamilton and Burke did for the purposes of security and stability, but that it has also been taken too far in modern times and that there is a place for states rights as a means of preserving an important check on federal power.

As for the history, "The Corporate Right" would have moved towards or became the Libertarian right to an extent in the 1930's. Prior to that, they saw Gov't largely as a tool for their own benefit through stability, trade protection and currency regulation. When it was taken further than that, not for their benefit, but at their expense they began to embrace a more anti-gov't posture, one that just a few decades prior they would have scorned. Stability was a forgone conclusion with a century+ long established gov't system and laws, trade protection was starting to hurt them more then help and the Fed had been created. Their desires realized, they had no need to maintain an advocacy for stronger gov't. They would still support policies that benefit them, but would oppose anything that didn't. A nuance which continues to this day.

New Right is merely a combination of several of the others, most notably the Religious Right and the Corporate/Libertarian Right. In 2000's, the former really got the upper hand on the latter. However, the rise of the Tea Party, and the nomination of Mittens provides the possibly of restoring the blance between them atleast to the extent that such existed in the 1990's. Had the opposite occured, the risk would have been a decline of that fiscal conservative/libertarian quadrant's base or potential base to the point that reversal became impossible and Conservatism ended up being defined by Huckabee. Scary thought. Tongue

Edit: Yes, I do realize that Corporate Right, Libertarian Right and Fiscally Conservative aren't exactly the same thing. They do overlap considerably, espeically when talking about their base, which is usually middle, upper middle and upper class income levels and more highly educated people. The constant overtures to the Social Conservatism and let downs for these three groups since the 1990's, means that this demographic has been leaving for the Democrats. Without them in primaries, poorer, less educated populists will gain more influence in the primaries creating a self-fulling prophecy of socially conservative, big gov't populism.

You're absolutely right.  I would consider myself somewhere in between New Right and Corporate Right.  I consider myself a fiscally and socially conservative, populist equivalent of Yankee Republican or Rockefeller Republican.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies