Historian Says Piece of Papyrus Refers to Jesus' Wife
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:45:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Historian Says Piece of Papyrus Refers to Jesus' Wife
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Historian Says Piece of Papyrus Refers to Jesus' Wife  (Read 1564 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 18, 2012, 01:39:56 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/19/us/historian-says-piece-of-papyrus-refers-to-jesus-wife.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&hp
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 02:05:03 PM »

Not unexpected. Who Jesus was (and wasn't) was still being ironed out.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 02:17:39 PM »

The Bible calls him a "Rabbi" umpteen times, thus stating unequivocally that he was married. It also refers to Peter's mother-in-law in one throwaway sentence but not to any wives of the disciples'.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 02:18:41 PM »

Fourth-century Coptic? Okay. Wake me up if they find Q and it's in there or something.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 12:22:57 AM »

The Bible calls him a "Rabbi" umpteen times, thus stating unequivocally that he was married.

Not really.  The Aramaic רבי refers to not just the Jewish religious office but also "master" in general.

In any case, even assuming the transcription and translation are correct, this lone papyrus doesn't really prove anything about whether he was actually married.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 06:32:14 AM »

In any case, even assuming the transcription and translation are correct, this lone papyrus doesn't really prove anything about whether he was actually married.

Nor does the NT prove that he wasn't. That's the problem I guess with any curiousities that emerge from history to shine a light on an historical religious figure. If it didn't fit when his life works were being collected then it won't fit now regardless of whether it is unknowably factually correct or not.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 10:13:54 AM »

Okay, cool. Doesn't affect my religious beliefs one way or another, so just a cool historical tidbit, whether real or fake.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 12:14:40 AM »

It's not as if the metaphorical notion of a "bride of Jesus" is particularly unprecedented anyway. I could foresee the Church treating this as scriptural basis for the nunnery. Given that this little bit comes with no real context, there's really nothing wrong with such a reading.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 12:32:32 AM »

It's not as if the metaphorical notion of a "bride of Jesus" is particularly unprecedented anyway. I could foresee the Church treating this as scriptural basis for the nunnery. Given that this little bit comes with no real context, there's really nothing wrong with such a reading.
Good point - The Book of Revelations speaks of the Church as the bride of Christ (though I doubt the sect that produced this papyrus held to the NT canon as anything like we know it).
Spanish Moss
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 07:02:05 AM »

There are non-canonical gospels that indicate this, the theory that Jesus may have been married (particularly, to Mary Magdalene) is nothing new.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 09:29:13 AM »

There are non-canonical gospels that indicate this, the theory that Jesus may have been married (particularly, to Mary Magdalene) is nothing new.
Luther believed that.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 10:22:21 AM »

Luther believed that.

Cite?

Anyway, I personally think that this sort of frenzy over the idea that Jesus was married or involved in some kind of sexual relationship is frankly ridiculous and also a little insulting to Mary Magdalene and her position as Apostle to the Apostles, but whatever.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 10:38:40 AM »

Cite?

Anyway, I personally think that this sort of frenzy over the idea that Jesus was married or involved in some kind of sexual relationship is frankly ridiculous and also a little insulting to Mary Magdalene and her position as Apostle to the Apostles, but whatever.

I would think, given that he was a man in his early 30's when he died it would be ridicuous not to have had a sexual relationship. We will of course never know because all if not most evidence that contradicts what the early Church decided was canonical is either destroyed or has been supressed. It's why there can never be a genuine discussion about the place of Jesus of Nazareth in history because we are limited to what we are able to scrutinise. It's a bit like not being able to revisit a biography of Mark Twain now that we have access to his memoirs. There's nothing we can do about it now of course, but if new pieces come to light can't we be honest about their implications?
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 10:43:39 AM »
« Edited: October 04, 2012, 11:05:36 AM by Nathan »

I would think, given that he was a man in his early 30's when he died it would be ridicuous not to have had a sexual relationship.

I don't understand this logic. Or, I do, but I don't understand why you think it's universal in its application.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Of course, but it seems like this one particular issue is one that people spend far more time thinking about and often grasping at straws over than the actual significance of attempting to score this kind of inane point merits.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 11:32:23 AM »

Luther believed that.

Cite?
Apparently it's just one of those things that float around and become true by being repeated often.
What Luther actually wrote was quoted by a fawning contemporary as having said is that they had an adulterous relationship.
Which probably did not mean what it seems to mean, though we cannot be entirely sure.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 12:23:08 PM »

Who cares?  Does it really matter whether or not Jesus was married?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 03:15:55 PM »

Who cares?  Does it really matter whether or not Jesus was married?

Not really. If he had children on the other hand, it would.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies