Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 26, 2014, 03:09:28 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Gubernatorial/Statewide Elections (Moderator: Joe Republic)
| | |-+  Mark Warner considering 2013 Gov. run in VA
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mark Warner considering 2013 Gov. run in VA  (Read 1394 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Moderators
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -6.09

P P P

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2012, 11:11:46 pm »
Ignore

"It's no newsflash that sometimes the Senate frustrates me."

-- Sen. Mark Warner (D-VA), in an interview with NBC 12, when asked if he was contemplating another bid for Virginia governor next year.

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2012/09/29/bonus_quote_of_the_day.html
Wolfentoad
wolfentoad66
YaBB God
Lebanon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 12:15:18 am »
Ignore

I'd prefer Tom Perriello or Glenn Nye, but this is okay. Maybe when Warner wins he can appoint Perriello or Nye?

I will stay home in this next election if we do not have a conservative tea party patriot. I have had enough RINOS
Skill and Chance
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 01:31:04 am »
Ignore

Mark Warner is the only Dem who could compete in VA if Obama is president in 2013.  Look up the state's voting history.
greenforest32
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 10:39:46 am »
Ignore

I'd prefer Tom Perriello or Glenn Nye, but this is okay. Maybe when Warner wins he can appoint Perriello or Nye?

How would that work? Wouldn't Warner have to resign from his seat to run for Governor thus triggering a special election or an appointment by the current governor?
Wolfentoad
wolfentoad66
YaBB God
Lebanon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 01:13:59 pm »
Ignore

How would that work? Wouldn't Warner have to resign from his seat to run for Governor thus triggering a special election or an appointment by the current governor?

Yeah, your right, sorry. McDonnell would be the one appointing. I'm thinking Nye or Perriello could run in the special election to replace Warner in that situation.

I will stay home in this next election if we do not have a conservative tea party patriot. I have had enough RINOS
Lief
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 03:11:01 pm »
Ignore

Why would Warner have to resign from his seat to run? He would just resign from his seat the day before he was sworn in as governor.

Wolfentoad
wolfentoad66
YaBB God
Lebanon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 03:25:26 pm »
Ignore

Why would Warner have to resign from his seat to run? He would just resign from his seat the day before he was sworn in as governor.

A lot of times politicians in the days after the election and before being sworn in, they resign from their current seat to begin a transitional period to the next.

krazen1211
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 05:25:27 pm »
Ignore

McDonnell will appoint some flunkie and then run for the vacant senate seat in 2014.
Warner for President '16
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 06:17:14 pm »
Ignore

I'd actually heard this a while ago from our County Prosecutor, who's relatively in with the Democratic Party in NOVA.  It'd be very interesting, if true.  It would also give me hope for a Warner '16 run.

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
ChairmanSanchez
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 06:40:34 pm »
Ignore

I always thought Virginia had a one term limit.

A Hybrid of Pat Buchanan and Bob Dylan.
Wolfentoad
wolfentoad66
YaBB God
Lebanon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 06:45:24 pm »
Ignore

Consecutively.

Zioneer
PioneerProgress
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 07:51:48 pm »
Ignore

Consecutively.

So unlimited number of terms, but you have to pull a Grover Cleveland each time?
morgieb
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 09:16:33 pm »
Ignore

Consecutively.

So unlimited number of terms, but you have to pull a Grover Cleveland each time?

It looks like it.
Mr. Morden
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 11:15:26 pm »
Ignore

A lot of times politicians in the days after the election and before being sworn in, they resign from their current seat to begin a transitional period to the next.

But why would Warner do that in this case, when doing so means that McDonnell gets to pick the state's next senator?  Warner would obviously wait until the last possible minute to resign, so that McDonnell doesn't have time to pick the replacement senator.

HOG & Blondie: A Tale of Atlas Future

What is your opinion of this thread?

Watch Dave being briefed by the mods.

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
Lief
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 11:32:44 pm »
Ignore

Just my luck: finally get an institute named after me, but the institute is about Mark Warner. Sad

Mr. Morden
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 12:28:42 am »
Ignore

If Warner is elected governor in 2013, and appoints his own successor in the senate, then that appointment would last for less than a year anyway, because there'd be a special election for the seat in November 2014, correct?

Does McDonnell then decide to run for that seat in 2014, rather than waste his time on a longshot presidential bid in 2016?

HOG & Blondie: A Tale of Atlas Future

What is your opinion of this thread?

Watch Dave being briefed by the mods.

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
morgieb
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 03:12:58 am »
Ignore

If Warner is elected governor in 2013, and appoints his own successor in the senate, then that appointment would last for less than a year anyway, because there'd be a special election for the seat in November 2014, correct?

Does McDonnell then decide to run for that seat in 2014, rather than waste his time on a longshot presidential bid in 2016?

Yeah I can see that happening.
Warner for President '16
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 09:25:14 am »
Ignore

No special election - term ends in 2014.  I imagine McDonnell would run for the seat, rather than risking a 2016 run.  Of course, it could risk a fight with Cuccinelli and Bolling.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 09:35:23 am by Senator Ben »Logged

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
Wolfentoad
wolfentoad66
YaBB God
Lebanon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2012, 05:02:33 pm »
Ignore

Bob McDonnell will not run. There is nothing remarkable about him. He will never be remembered as anything. If Cuccinelli wins (Which probably won't happen) I could see him as a failed presidential candidate who is invited to a few debates. That's as far as he's going, though.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout