Atlas Presidential Mock Election 2012 Discussion Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:39:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Atlas Presidential Mock Election 2012 Discussion Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Atlas Presidential Mock Election 2012 Discussion Thread  (Read 9290 times)
Averroës Nix
United States

« on: September 30, 2012, 04:47:20 PM »

I've now changed my vote more times than my ex-gf switched college majors: Johnson-Anderson-Johnson-Anderson-Obama.

I'm unsatisfied with Johnson's campaign (e.g. "I'm Ron Paul"), but more important to my decision was a realization that it would be hypocritical and contrary to my understanding of American democracy to vote for third-party candidate. I've often argued that the best way to make a difference is by working from within one of the two major parties, and I really believe this argument. So I couldn't satisfy myself with a vote for third-party candidate. (And what else is voting really about?)

I'm more comfortable with my current support for Obama - and I suspect that this will remain stable through the election - despite some serious misgivings.

Yes, I'm taking this too seriously, but in light of a few of my posts, I think that my waffling deserves an explanation somewhere.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 05:07:21 PM »

but more important to my decision was a realization that it would be hypocritical and contrary to my understanding of American democracy to vote for third-party candidate. I've often argued that the best way to make a difference is by working from within one of the two major parties, and I really believe this argument. So I couldn't satisfy myself with a vote for third-party candidate.

But I say this and I get torn apart and called a hypocrite and a traitor. Hooray!

I can't remember whether I commented on that situation. I remember finding your positioning a bit ill-conceived and bizarre - the same could probably be said of me, to an extent. But you're a teenager; strange contortions of every kind are to be expected from you. Hell, when I was in high-school, I went from being a straight-A dork (R) to being a straight-A punk (A) to being a straight-A neckbeard (L) to being straight-A hipster (I) within the span of a couple of years. You're clearly putting thought into your choice, and for that you deserve respect. Or at the very least, a bit of understanding.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 06:20:53 PM »

I'm unsatisfied with Johnson's campaign (e.g. "I'm Ron Paul")

You do realize you are quoting a thread title rather than Gary Johnson?

That deserves clarification - I'm referring to the thread. I don't appreciate Johnson's attempts to appeal (I'd say "pander," but I don't think that term is quite deserved) to Ron Paul-style libertarians.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies