Sandy on Long Island
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:21:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Sandy on Long Island
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sandy on Long Island  (Read 379 times)
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 01, 2012, 04:45:33 PM »

So, I disappeared for a few days because of the hurricane. Knocked out power (and internet) for most of the island.

Anyway, the damage is pretty extensive in the region (nothing to my house besides the same baby tree falling over that falls over every storm, and we just push that back up...).

Damage around the island is pretty extensive. Everywhere (and I mean everywhere) trees took down power lines and closer to the shores water wiped out neighborhoods and even turned peninsulas into islands.

I'm starting to think, and from what I've heard of Cuomo's rhetoric, that he will use the storm as a policy window for infrastructure reform. We need to spend the money in our old communities in order to be viable in a new era of globalization and...apparently tougher storms.

I'm sure some of you saw that a fire in Queens burned down close to 100 homes including Congressman Bob Turner's.

Anyway, power/internet at my job is back --but most of my friends including myself don't have power at home yet. I think 90% of the island was out at some point.

If anyone from outside of the area is wondering about the storm, I can try to answer and questions about things on the ground.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 05:06:35 PM »
« Edited: November 01, 2012, 05:08:40 PM by homelycooking »

Nassau or Suffolk?
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 05:15:54 PM »

Our property is in both counties actually. I've been all over both counties as well so my description should suffice for both for the most part
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 06:46:05 PM »

What's up Nick.  Lynbrook resident here, born and raised in Far Rockaway and Long Beach. Just got power about an hour ago.  Looking forward to help with relief effort this weekend. My uncle just called and finally made his way out of Rockaway Park. He said it is a freaking war zone down there.  Hope all is going good with you and yours. Certainly need a to re-build aging infrastructure and re-build sensibly with wiser zoning.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 11:38:27 PM »

S. Farmingdale here, lucked out much better than most here.  Never really lost power, some trees  down, but nothing too bad.  Grew up in Massapequa Park, traveled around my old neighborhood yesterday, no power there, bunch of trees down, knocking down lines, few roads closed.

I didn't venture into the areas south of Merrick Road, heard it was quite bad, can't even begin to imagine what they are dealing with.

My office had no power for days (heading back to work in the morning) so I have been basically watching all of the coverage the last few days.  Really amazing and real sad. 
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 04:26:19 AM »

Will you guys be able to vote on Tuesday? Will turnout most likely be incredibly low there?
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 09:47:57 AM »

I'm at my parents' house in Essex County, NJ for the week and we're still without power.  But some sections of town never lost it.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 04:18:37 PM »

What's up Nick.  Lynbrook resident here, born and raised in Far Rockaway and Long Beach. Just got power about an hour ago.  Looking forward to help with relief effort this weekend. My uncle just called and finally made his way out of Rockaway Park. He said it is a freaking war zone down there.  Hope all is going good with you and yours. Certainly need a to re-build aging infrastructure and re-build sensibly with wiser zoning.

Still don't havepower over by me. Getting gas is a war zone as well from what I'm hearing.

Will you guys be able to vote on Tuesday? Will turnout most likely be incredibly low there?

I already voted absentee. Most people will still be able to vote in their usual places...the damaged ones or ones without electricity I don't know. I think the BoE will give some guidance later today.

patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 05:16:44 PM »

I was going to be away on election day so already sent in absentee ballot. However, for many people I think voting is far from their minds.  There are still so many without homes or power and gas lines that make one nostalgic for bell bottoms. I do know there are plans being made to set up alternate systems.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 05:45:04 PM »

Still don't havepower over by me. Getting gas is a war zone as well from what I'm hearing.

I already voted absentee. Most people will still be able to vote in their usual places...the damaged ones or ones without electricity I don't know. I think the BoE will give some guidance later today.

Gas is utter insanity, just massive lines of cars.  Thankfully I filled up my tank on Sunday, and get good gas mileage.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 06:05:27 PM »

I keep seeing pictures of New Yorkers walking long hours to work. Don't you have bicycles down there?
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 04:57:55 PM »

I keep seeing pictures of New Yorkers walking long hours to work. Don't you have bicycles down there?

We have bikes. I haven't seen photos of people walking to work. Maybe from Brooklyn or Queens...but the subway is running for the most part.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies