Archbishop of Canterbury election 2012 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:40:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Archbishop of Canterbury election 2012 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Archbishop of Canterbury election 2012  (Read 6620 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: September 23, 2012, 12:39:59 PM »

I spoke to Charters once, I think.  The guy is a moron. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 06:43:43 PM »

He couldn't answer the official role of the Queen in the Church of England (It was pre-Internet).
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 09:19:27 PM »

Saw the words "Bishop of Durham" in a Guardian article and my heart soared, until I read more closely and found out it's the new guy that's being rumored to be the frontrunner.....such a shame...

You might like Justin Welby, actually. I don't like him much, but I'm also not yet entirely familiar with him.

Obviously he's not nearly as much a heavyweight as his predecessor, though.

Williams was too much a heavy weight.  I was very disappointed in his attempts at a "mechanism."
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 07:56:32 AM »

I think he'd be my first choice.  I don't expect it.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 12:57:11 PM »

The Torygraph is already calling him 'just another Left-wing establishment bureaucrat'. That was fast.

I would take out "Left-wing" and insert "increasingly irrelevant."
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 03:00:07 PM »

He seems like one of those compromise candidates the C of E loves so much. Sort of traditionalist, except when he's not. Sort of liberal, except where he's not. An improvement over Rowan, but that's not saying much.

I think it's actually saying quite a lot (and also untrue), but he's definitely somebody on whom it's very easy to be more or less neutral or unmoved and I do think that was partially the point.

Rowan, and his "mechanism," really turned me off.  I'm at least somewhat sympathetic to the view that gay bishops is something that is unacceptable to parts of the Communion, but I do not want Canterbury to even hint at the idea that it has some sort shadowy, but formal, authority over the ECUSA.

I know that there are parts of the Communion that object, but they don't have a veto over us (or we of them).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies