Romney continues his Insult Tour.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:42:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney continues his Insult Tour.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Romney continues his Insult Tour.  (Read 2770 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 21, 2012, 05:07:35 PM »

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/romney-obama-puts-us-on-path-to-europe

Mitt Romney took a jab at California while speaking in Las Vegas, accusing Obama of plunging America into debt and dependency.

"I'm convinced that the path [Obama's] put us on is the path to Europe," he said. "Or, I jokingly say....to California."

Romney is traveling to San Diego on Saturday.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 05:09:55 PM »

Meh. He's undoubtedy going to a fund-raiser, and his well-healed California backers there would surely agree.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 05:58:18 PM »

Many of the problems California has occurred under the last Governor who claimed that his having business experience would fix the state.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 06:57:13 PM »

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/romney-obama-puts-us-on-path-to-europe

Mitt Romney took a jab at California while speaking in Las Vegas, accusing Obama of plunging America into debt and dependency.

"I'm convinced that the path [Obama's] put us on is the path to Europe," he said. "Or, I jokingly say....to California."

Romney is traveling to San Diego on Saturday.

Well, I guess we can end any speculation that Romney will try to carry California now.  Altho Politico might point out how he could still win the Golden State.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 07:06:52 PM »

Meh. He's undoubtedy going to a fund-raiser, and his well-healed California backers there would surely agree.

Yes, you're right. I have quite given up on CA too. It's future is not bright. If CA is the precursor to the nation, we're in real trouble.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 07:36:13 PM »

Yes, because California's honour is a major issue in the swing states.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 10:56:23 PM »
« Edited: September 21, 2012, 10:58:07 PM by Politico »

Yes, you're right. I have quite given up on CA too. It's future is not bright. If CA is the precursor to the nation, we're in real trouble.

I second this. The destruction of CA by liberals is an American tragedy of the highest magnitude. It used to be the finest state in the union. It is now the Golden State only in the sense that liberals urinated all over it.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 11:09:49 PM »

I second this. The destruction of CA by liberals is an American tragedy of the highest magnitude. It used to be the finest state in the union. It is now the Golden State only in the sense that liberals urinated all over it.

Oh Politico....
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 02:46:18 AM »

Maybe. But can you imagine Obama going out there and saying that "Romney wants to make us like Mississippi"?
He would be crucified by your party.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 02:50:32 AM »

It's not as if California was ever going to vote for him...
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 03:10:12 AM »

INITIATING JOKE.EXE
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 03:12:29 AM »

ERROR: REMEBER TRAVELING PROGRAM INITIATED EARLY. FLIP SWITCH TO MODERATE ROMNEY.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 05:12:43 AM »

Even if Schwartzenegger had 6 years to "fix" things as a moderate-to-conservative Governor.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 05:53:02 AM »

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 06:26:50 AM »

Post of the year...
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 07:23:10 AM »

Even if Schwartzenegger had 6 years to "fix" things as a moderate-to-conservative Governor.

The impression I got was the Arnold gave up trying to assert any kind of Conservative style governance after his ballot measures went down in flames in 2005, and just gave the legislator what they wanted after that. Sounds more like an acceptance of the status quo that led to the problem, not any kind of conservative reforms backfiring.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 07:27:05 AM »

Most of the California voters who are in reach, are probably going to be in agreement with Romney. Whether it is rich, smart types who can read the numbers on the wall or rural, far right types who don't like the fact that their state has changed demographically and that they have been cut out of influence and power.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 07:35:09 AM »

Trivia Time!:

What is this a picture of?

Hell, or California?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2012, 07:43:00 AM »

Many of the problems California has occurred under the last Governor who claimed that his having business experience would fix the state.
You mean Davis or Schwarzenegger?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2012, 08:01:23 AM »

Trivia Time!:

Hell, or California?

Don't ever use bushfires for political point scoring.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2012, 08:15:39 AM »

This is a point that needs to be made about business experience in politics.

Not all business experience is created equal. It can apply in several ways, like reforming the administration of gov't, something any business experience will suffice to provide for them. It is good for reducing the defict and saving money so forth, finding efficiencies, etc etc. It does provide some practical experience in terms of the impact of taxing, regulations, etc etc on job creation and competativeness, but it is limited by the narrowness. 

In terms of the restoring competativeness and economic growth, you need a fuller appreciation of the impact of those policies on a broad range of industries. Thats what makes Romney differ from Generic Businessman A. He has all the benefits that a generic businessman has, but being involved in venture capital and consulting, provides the variety necessary to have witnessed the impact of Gov't policy on enough industries to have as close to a first hand view of the whole economy on a micro-component level. Or as close as such is humanly possible to have.  It is also his biggest drawback because of all he was involved in dealing with. But that very diversity of experience is his greatest attribute and skill and the reason why one can have confidence in his skill regarding the economy.

Romney's problem is that he can't articulate how he can hone those experiences to directly and materially improve job creation and by extention the lives of average people. His campaign is full of cowardly, cautious strategists and therefore he is campaigning as Generic Businessman A and sacrificing a whole lot of potential. He only hints at it in broad generalities, like any other businessman turned politician does. However, since Bush was a technically one nad so many others were, he is cornering himself into a neat trap for the left about past business suits in the White House and the "you can't run the country like a business" retort. Of course that is obviously true, no one is literally talkign about doing so. When such a statement is made it usually refers to one of the first two situations I described.

If Arnold claimed his acting career counts as business experience, than that barely even qualifies him for former situation if at all. Thus questioning his ability to successfully reform a state and take it off the road to bankrupcty. Especially after he willingly become a poll-chasing, go along to get along, insider concerned primarily about not losing his reelection bid, rather than improving the state.
ViaActiva

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2012, 08:18:02 AM »

Romney seems to think that he's still a big business leader who can say and do what ever he wants without any consequences (like Trump). He has no political tact whatsoever.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2012, 08:19:59 AM »

Also, Romney might not win California but I doubt his comments will help the down-ballot candidates.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2012, 08:21:05 AM »

Trivia Time!:

Hell, or California?

Don't ever use bushfires for political point scoring.

I have no political point here.  I just had the misfortune of forgetting this is the 2012 board where everyone is SO DEAD SERIOUS.

I apologize.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2012, 08:46:46 AM »

Schwarzenegger.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to: