question about flights 175 and 11
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:53:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  question about flights 175 and 11
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: question about flights 175 and 11  (Read 403 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 28, 2012, 12:53:38 AM »

what would have happened if one of those planes had missed the WTC? The pilots were still novices and its nothing short of luck that they did what they did.

One of the things I wondered is if one of the pilots had missed the tower and clipped it with his wings. Had that happened he would have likely lost control and the plane would have nosedived into the heart of Manhattan. Would that have actually been worse than hitting the world trade center?

Sorry if I appear to be insensitive but I've always been interested in the thought of alternate scenarios, in which case this would be a lose-lose.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 01:06:00 AM »

There would have been a lot fewer deaths.  The vast majority of deaths happened when the towers came down, if instead of taking down a tower, you crash a plane into a shorter, less occupied building you are going to have fewer deaths.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 01:50:25 AM »

United 175 also had a near collision in the air with another plane, missing it by ~300 feet.  If they'd collided, it also would have meant far fewer deaths.

You can also speculate about what would have happened if either 175 or 11 had been delayed.  If the other two planes had hit their targets first, then maybe there could have been a passenger revolt on 175 or 11 instead, which also would have spared one of the towers.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 11:15:42 AM »

If that second plane hadn't gotten in so very low, it's dubious if the towers would have collapsed.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 03:48:09 PM »

The WTC was going to collapse even if the plane only clipped it....unless the bombs inside failed to go off.

(Kidding, I'm not a truther Tongue)

I think if the plane clipped the WTC, and hit another building, not only would the casualties be fewer, but the psychological impact lessened. Part of the reason 9/11 was such a major shock was the fact that on September 10th, the WTC was NYC's biggest set of buildings, and on 9/12, they are just totally gone from the skyline.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 11:27:39 PM »

A lot of it was the fire.  It melted the support frames.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies