Nathanland
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:58:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Nathanland
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Nathanland  (Read 1409 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 22, 2012, 10:25:15 PM »
« edited: September 23, 2012, 01:18:13 AM by Nathan »

Okay, I'm bored, so:

What do you imagine it might be like?

Unlike Simfan, I don't have a grand plan that I can lay out right now because I'm not terribly ambitious in my offline life. As some of you may know, I'm a member of my town's government, on the 'leftist'/'conservative' side of things (these are pretty much the same in Amherst local politics, because it's as opposed to yuppie developer types), and have some vague aspirations for regional/state office, but nothing more than that.

That being the case, what would happen if I were put into a position of power? For the sake of argument, let's say a President with a sufficiently strong mandate and sufficiently strong Congressional majorities to lean into fairly authoritarian territory, but not some tyrant running roughshod. Also for the sake of argument assume I do actually want to do something with the office once I had it (which would probably be the case. I'm not fond of high responsibility/authority but I try not to be one to shirk it).

One thing: I may try to move to a parliamentary system of some description. I'd also spend a lot of time on rural public transport and may blatantly favor rural areas and poor inner cities over richer urban areas and suburbs.

Day 1 of the Nathan Administration:

Celebratory fair in rural Western Massachusetts (it makes sense in context)

Fireworks in Springfield, Massachusetts, headquarters of the Nathan campaign and ancestral home of the new President's family
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 02:49:17 AM »

I have had very mixed experiences with rural public transportation. My favorite experience was paying $5 so I could board a 20 km/h tram in rural Shiga, being one of only four passengers and  yet still having two greeters greet me upon boarding the train. I still believe that's the best rural public transportation can get.

Honestly, it's very difficult. You are quite coy about most of your political preferences and stances.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 03:02:42 AM »
« Edited: September 23, 2012, 03:09:26 AM by Nathan »

I have had very mixed experiences with rural public transportation.

So do I.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That's amazing. There are some heritage railroads in Vermont that are a little like that. I'd definitely look to aspects of the Japanese system, inasmuch as it's widely used and reaches most areas of the country.

I don't think I've really been called that before, particularly not on Atlas Forum, but I guess since you've become a regular poster I've been too busy reacting to various people's bullcrap to really get involved in many substantive discussions. Perhaps I should make a new post in the 'Summary of your political beliefs' thread. The one that's in there now is fairly old and might be outdated in terms of my current positions.

I can say with some confidence that as opposed to Simfanland you'd probably be more likely to want to live in Nathanland but not do the bulk of your business there than vice-versa. I'm considerably further left economically than socially and I'd likely feel the need to dick around with the market economy quite a bit in the name of ensuring various measures of quality-of-life, although I'd farm out specific policies within general guidelines (like 'progressive taxes, heavily subsidize mass transportation and things that contribute to non-suburban community cohesion, try to balance environmental regulation and encouraging American manufacturing as much as you can and treat conflicts between them on a case-by-case basis, try not to stifle retail') to people like the Council of Economic Advisors and various Congressional allies (my power base might well be more geographical than ideological and I'd probably end up dealing the most with other New Englanders, be they Democrats or legitimately moderate Republicans).
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 03:59:17 AM »

It's sometimes difficult to entirely separate quality-of-life concerns and economic concerns. Especially if you're like the USA and try to ruthlessly hunt down your citizens who choose to work abroad. And several very important taxes tend to be based on your nationality. Like estate taxes.

I don't personally believe the Japanese system is somehow run better than other systems. It doesn't say, perform better per mile than the US system. In fact, I think it has some problems (like terribly inefficient usage of labor, like most Japanese enterprises). It's just that Japan is physically much much smaller and needs far fewer track miles.

And I'm actually pretty satisfied with the US system, despite my dislike of driving. I can fly from DC to San Francisco for $180. About the same price of a Shinkansen ticket from Osaka to Tokyo. And I obviously vastly prefer walkable suburbs (which are growing rapidly in popularity), but I still prefer suburbs to most other environments. Cities are tolerable but pricey and I can't stand rural areas. I don't think I've had an ancestor live in the countryside since...around 1600? And public transportation can aid the creation of suburban communities. Japan and the hordes of suburbs centered around rail stations/commuter rail being the prime example.

I think it shows regardless of what I say, but I don't really consider myself culturally a New Englander. In fact, I think I may be as far from a cultural New Englander as one can get...and I do not foresee my stay here being particularly...long.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 05:43:17 AM »

I'd also spend a lot of time on rural public transport

Ah, a sign of a true lefty hick Grin
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 05:47:03 AM »

Well yeah, if you live out in the boondogs and have no car, you will spend a lot of your time on rural public transport.

Or did he mean "spend time on improving it, in a government function"?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 05:49:32 AM »

Well yeah, if you live out in the boondogs and have no car, you will spend a lot of your time on rural public transport.

Or did he mean "spend time on improving it, in a government function"?

The latter. Especially as the former isn't often possible...
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 06:03:14 AM »

It's sometimes difficult to entirely separate quality-of-life concerns and economic concerns. Especially if you're like the USA and try to ruthlessly hunt down your citizens who choose to work abroad. And several very important taxes tend to be based on your nationality. Like estate taxes.

Oh, I'm certainly aware of this, believe me.

Perhaps Europe might be a better example, as the continent west of Russia is of vaguely comparable size. Then again it's far more densely populated.

I'm aware of this also. Unfortunately Nathanland may have to have (or highly encourage states to have) some fairly, uh, stern building and development guidelines to discourage this. Or just really really push a cultural narrative based on some sort of left-wing ruralism through pervasive state-run media, but I don't really want Nathanland to be a total leftist mirror image of Simfanland.

And proud of it.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 03:23:42 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2012, 12:50:40 AM by Nathan »

What would ag policy look like in Nathanland?

Fairly heavily subsidized, but not in the same way that it is now. Think agricultural trustbusting plus significant tax credits for small farmers. Labeling of GM foods but not banning. Subsidize research in new types of organic agriculture; see, if possible without preconceptions, how large a scale it's feasible to do that on. Depending on how extensive the trustbusting got possibly some kind of land reform, but I wouldn't necessarily want to pursue that for its own sake at least at first, because land reform is one of those things that has a tendency to go either extremely well or ridiculously poorly.

I'm fairly flexible about a lot of this if there are reasons why any of this might be a very bad idea. I know a lot about agriculture on a small-to-medium scale but not necessarily as an area of policy for a vast country. Not flexible about the trustbusting or labeling, though.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 12:34:36 AM »
« Edited: September 24, 2012, 12:48:56 AM by Nathan »

Some changes to the Constitution:

28th Amendment--Continuity of the Legislative Branch: Allows Congress to pass laws for emergency replenishment of its membership should more than one-quarter of either House or both resign, be expelled, or be killed. Empowers either House to take on the work of the other should more than three-quarters of the other resign, be expelled, or be killed, and empowers any survivors to continue the work of the Congress should more than three-quarters of both Houses resign, be expelled, or be killed.

29th Amendment--Congressional Elections: Establishes runoff voting for all Congressional elections; allows states to choose between jungle primaries and AV general elections after normal primaries, which also must use AV. Explicitly allows Congress to regulate spending on political campaigns for Federal offices.

30th Amendment--Presidential Eligibility and Elections: Extends eligibility to the office of President or Vice-President to naturalized US citizens after twenty years of citizenship in the United States, or thirty of residence with at least fifteen of citizenship. Unambiguously defines 'natural-born citizen' as anybody a US citizen at birth. Establishes a national AV system with a postal voting option and a paper trail for Presidential elections. Allows a President to run for more than two non-consecutive terms.

31st Amendment--Linguistic Decentralization: Explicitly leaves to states the power to establish their own languages for use in state governance and mandates translation of Congressional Record into all languages spoken at home by at least 2% of the population as of the most recent census (implicitly making such count a constitutional function of the census in addition to determining apportionment and taxation), as well as all languages deemed official by at least one state. Specifically bans Congress from acting as a language authority in any way beyond appointing the translators.

32nd Amendment--Extension of 8th Amendment: Expressly prohibits capital punishment of civilians.

This is enough for my first term. More to come. The Senate won't know what hit it.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 10:58:38 PM »

Nothing in that really offends me. The most controversial ones, the 31st and 32nd, I would probably support.

And I love jungle primaries.

I would probably do everything in my power to kill that though. I've already seen one country start sliding after restricting corporate donations.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 11:36:43 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2012, 11:43:04 PM by Nathan »

I would probably do everything in my power to kill that though. I've already seen one country start sliding after restricting corporate donations.

It says 'allows', not 'requires'. You'd be perfectly free to oppose regulation or propose deregulation as a right-leaning Nathanlandian Congressman or Senator.

I thought 'national AV system' pretty strongly implied it, but I'd like to just formally state that yes, upon ratification of the 30th Amendment the Electoral College would cease to exist. Presidential vote counting would be handled by a nonpartisan federal agency.

Fun fact: Currently, the terms of the 31st Amendment would mandate translation of the Congressional Record into Spanish, Chinese, French, and Hawaiian.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 11:48:49 PM »

It says 'allows', not 'requires'. You'd be perfectly free to oppose regulation or propose deregulation as a right-leaning Nathanlandian Congressman or Senator.

I thought 'national AV system' pretty strongly implied it, but I'd like to just formally state that yes, upon ratification of the 30th Amendment the Electoral College would cease to exist. Presidential vote counting would be handled by a nonpartisan federal agency.

Fun fact: Currently, the terms of the 31st Amendment would mandate translation of the Congressional Record into Spanish, Chinese, French, and Hawaiian.

Well, we already knows allows basically means it will happen. Proposals to restrict campaign funding are uh, quite popular.

2% of Americans speak Chinese?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 12:04:43 AM »

Well, we already knows allows basically means it will happen. Proposals to restrict campaign funding are uh, quite popular.

2% of any state is what he said.

Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 12:12:24 AM »

2% of any state is what he said.

I actually meant 2% of the whole country, but come to think of it let's change that to 2% of any state. That puts us in the clear with Chinese. Also Tagalog, Japanese, Ilokano, Navajo, and I think maybe Inuit and Italian.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 09:56:24 PM »

The Alaskan language that would qualify is Yup'ik.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 10:09:40 PM »

The Alaskan language that would qualify is Yup'ik.

Thank you. Yes, Nathanland would have House and Senate Yup'ik-English/English-Yup'ik Translators.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 11:11:27 PM »

31st Amendment--Linguistic Decentralization: Explicitly leaves to states the power to establish their own languages for use in state governance and mandates translation of Congressional Record into all languages spoken at home by at least 2% of the population as of the most recent census (implicitly making such count a constitutional function of the census in addition to determining apportionment and taxation), as well as all languages deemed official by at least one state. Specifically bans Congress from acting as a language authority in any way beyond appointing the translators.

Love, love, love! Grin
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 11:45:52 PM »

Why do I get this feeling that as soon as you decided to step out of public life, I would be waiting in the rafters to push through a "reverse course"?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2012, 12:22:36 AM »
« Edited: September 27, 2012, 12:24:28 AM by Nathan »

Why do I get this feeling that as soon as you decided to step out of public life, I would be waiting in the rafters to push through a "reverse course"?

Oh, I'm sure you would be. If I was really concerned about that I might start going in a dictadura perfecta direction. Wink
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, 12:37:36 AM »

What would be the point of labeling GM foods as GM foods?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 01:46:02 AM »

People who for whatever reason don't want to eat GM foods would be able to not eat them. And banning them is frankly absurd (I say this even as something of an agricultural reactionary).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2012, 07:03:10 AM »

Surely someone such as yourself would be in favour of greater choice for consumers?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2012, 11:20:49 PM »

Surely someone such as yourself would be in favour of greater choice for consumers?
First let me wipe off some of the condescension you left on the screen.  Now to answer your question. 

Indeed, but I'd be against mandating it.  Surely someone such as yourself could figure out why.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2012, 11:57:51 PM »

First let me wipe off some of the condescension you left on the screen.  Now to answer your question. 

Indeed, but I'd be against mandating it.  Surely someone such as yourself could figure out why.

I'm as a rule comfortable with mandating descriptions of more or less precisely what's in food, insofar as people have to eat the stuff. It's not even that I myself would make an active effort to avoid food that I'd force to carry the GM level so much as there's a certain class of agrarian semi-hippies in some of the rural parts of this country that I'd display blatant cultural favoritism towards.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies