Nathanland
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:17:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Nathanland
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Nathanland  (Read 1402 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2012, 12:18:56 AM »

I'm as a rule comfortable with mandating descriptions of more or less precisely what's in food, insofar as people have to eat the stuff.
Sure, me too.  But the GM labeling would be meaningless.  You might as well label food as to whether it was planted during a rainy or sunny day.  Being afraid of GM food is as stupid as not believing in evolution and a govt mandated labeling of food in this way would just strengthen ignorance.  Do we really want the govt in the business of reinforcing ignorance? (I mean anymore than it already does)
You must be logged in to read this quote.
How far do you plan on pacifying these halfwits?  Tax breaks for sun dresses and Birkenstocks?
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2012, 12:41:22 AM »
« Edited: September 28, 2012, 12:47:46 AM by Nathan »

I would submit that there is a non-rational but nevertheless subjectively significant qualitative difference between planting conditions and artificially altered genetic makeup--there are among other things actually religious reasons why one might not want to eat, for instance, oranges with DNA spliced from Pacific salmon (although I don't understand the rationale behind some of these reasons particularly well). I don't see this as 'pacifying halfwits', and if you do then you ought to get on your high horse and ride out of Nathanland before you're declared a disturber of the peace, or at least find something more consequential to complain about.

We could have a workaround by just dicking around with kosher certification or something (as I understand it Orthodox Judaism is one of the religions having a rather abstruse argument over this), but I'm more concerned with the Establishment Clause than I am with some Midwestern libertarian thinking of the people in my cultural background as halfwits.

New decree: Pending a general shift of attention, resources, and power away from the armed forces, every branch of the military will have its official anthem replaced with 'It's a Good Day to Die' from the film Starship Troopers 3.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2012, 12:57:57 AM »

Sorry, I've obviously hurt your feelings and I didn't mean to.  I thought you were wanting to people to give their two cents.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2012, 01:37:29 AM »

Sorry, I've obviously hurt your feelings and I didn't mean to.  I thought you were wanting to people to give their two cents.

Your two cents are genuinely appreciated and my feelings aren't actually hurt, I'm just in a really bad mood and didn't appreciate the characterization of such people as the friend of my mother's who used to take me sledding when I was little as halfwits ('flakes', actually, would have been entirely accepted, for future reference). Thank you for your opinion.

The decree regarding the military has nothing to do with your Air Force background and isn't meant as some kind of veiled insult; it's something I've wanted to do ever since I heard the song a few days ago.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2012, 01:46:41 AM »

I find it rather uh, amusing and uh...well...I would say quaint if it didn't have any condescending connotation, but uh well, that so much of the policies are focused on agriculture. Any inspiration from the Nokyo?

I'd say that I don't know much about agriculture. The whole being an urban family since the 1600's thing. But I've never had a problem with GMOs. Though I think all my relatives are terrified of them. Which is why I rarely tell them what they're eating. >_>
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2012, 01:52:02 AM »

I find it rather uh, amusing and uh...well...I would say quaint if it didn't have any condescending connotation, but uh well, that so much of the policies are focused on agriculture. Any inspiration from the Nokyo?

A bit, actually, yeah! Them and the way certain agricultural cooperatives such as Ocean Spray are run. 'Quaint' is another word I'm willing to accept.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm not afraid so much as I just have some distaste that obtains to my probably quite odd combination of family background and religious and cultural beliefs. In any objective sense there really isn't any problem, at least once we get the trustbusting and possible land reform underway.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2012, 02:02:30 AM »

I am quite mixed on SCAP-propelled land reform. And Nokyo. Suspicious, but not entirely hostile. But SCAP-style trustbusting on the other hand...
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2012, 02:10:23 AM »

Trustbusting as I'm conceiving it here refers more to banning predatory practices against small farmers, such as attempting to restrict heirloom planting and dancing in and out the sort of patents that you can get on seeds, than anything else. I promise not to act like SCAP.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies