What happens to the GOP if they fail in November?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:24:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  What happens to the GOP if they fail in November?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What happens to the GOP if they fail in November?  (Read 3997 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 23, 2012, 02:02:52 AM »
« edited: September 24, 2012, 12:43:13 AM by Kevin »

What happens to the GOP esp. within it? If Obama happens to win reelection, combined with the possibilty of the Democrats strengthening their hold on the Senate?

I ask this because the Republican ticket from Romney down should be doing electoral cartwheels around Preisdent Obama and the Democrats everywhere. Specifically considering that the man at the top of the Democratic reelection ticket for President Big O is not popular at all, let alone his policies or his handing of the economy since taking office in 2009. Furthermore, since August the economic news overall has not been good for Obama at all such as it has been for the past nearly 4 years. All & All though it appears somehow the 2nd coming of Jimmy Carter is going to win a return ticket to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW DC.

My take on this is that if Romeny does lose this, the GOP base blew it for him & all the other Republicans running this year to tossup seats in ether the Senate or Congress. The reason I say this is that the extreme idological demands of groups like the Tea Partiers & others helped push the level of debate within the GOP to the right with it. In turn offending independents, Latinos, Women, etc.

Likewise as well all saw, this continued after the primaries with people like Todd Akin more interested in talking about rape & dead fetuses then they were about ether the unemployment rate or other pressing problems with the media(which is already as a whole in Obama's pocket) all too eager to pick up on all of this radiating from the Republican Party.

My question is this.

Does the GOP continue to double down on the ultra-conservatism? Or will it learn from the Democrats post-2004 in turn it's energy & message into something more understandable for the average voter? Ex. Will the GOP move to the center again?

I'm actually starting to believe that a 2nd term for Obama is a blessing in disguise for the GOP. As I think the President & Democratic Party as a whole will continue to burdened by the unpopularity of their legislation combined with the mounting problems with the budget & other economic problems. Also, we have the midterm elections upcoming in 2014 and I think the GOP will def take the Senate then considering that many of the Democratic Seats up are in deep Red states like Louisana, Arkansas, South Dakota, Alaska and Montana. Or are upopular Democrat's/retiring Dems in traditional swing states like Oregon & New Hampshire, Iowa, or Michigan.

Likewise, I think it's the kiss of electoral death for the Democrats since I think if Obama does win in November it's going to be like the D version of W's 2nd term for them.

So what direction does the Republican Party go in with it's ideology, message, and more if Obama wins?

Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 05:20:58 AM »

That losing is a "blessing in disguise" is something the losing side always seems to claim once it appears hopeless to win the current election.

NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 08:40:49 AM »

What happens to the GOP esp. within it? If Obama happens to win reelection, combined with the possibilty of the Democrats strengthening their hold on the Senate?

I ask this because the Republican ticket from Romney down should be doing electoral cartwheels around Preisdent Obama and the Democrats everywhere. Specifically considering that the man at the top of the Democratic reelection ticket for President Big O is not popular at all, let alone his policies or his handing of the economy since taking office in 2009. Furthermore, since August the economic news overall has not been good for Obama at all such as it has been for the past nearly 4 years. All & All though it appears somehow the 2nd coming of Jimmy Carter is going to win a return ticket to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW DC.

My take on this is that if Romeny does lose this, the GOP base blew it for him & all the other Republicans running this year to tossup seats in ether the Senate or Congress. The reason I say this is that the extreme idological demands of groups like the Tea Partiers & others helped push the level of debate within the GOP to the right with it. In turn offending independents, Latinos, Women, etc.

Likewise as well all saw, this continued after the primaries with people like Todd Akin's more interested in talking about rape & dead fetuses then they were about ether the unemployment rate or other pressing problems with media(which is already as a whole in Obama's pocket) all too eager to pick up on all of this radiating from the Republican Party.

My question is this.

Does the GOP continue to double down on the ultra-conservatism? Or will it learn from the Democrats post-2004 in turn it's energy & message into something more understandable for the average voter? Ex. Will the GOP move to the center again?

I'm actually starting to believe that a 2nd term for Obama is a blessing in disguise for the GOP. As I think the President & Democratic Party as a whole will continue to burdened by the unpopularity of their legislation combined with the mounting problems with the budget & other economic problems. Also, we have the midterm elections upcoming in 2014 and I think the GOP will def take the Senate then considering that many of the Democratic Seats up are in deep Red states like Louisana, Arkansas, South Dakota, Alaska and Montana. Or are upopular Democrat's/retiring Dems in traditional swing states like Oregon & New Hampshire, Iowa, or Michigan.

Likewise, I think it's the kiss of electoral death for the Democrats since I think if Obama does win in November it's going to be like the D version of W's 2nd term for them.

So what direction does the Republican Party go in with it's ideology, message, and more if Obama wins?

I tend to agree with your statement about a blessing in disguise. If Romney's defeated, then the party will have a chance to reexamine itself and look towards building a winning coalition like the Democrats did in 2008.

Second point, I see what's happening to the Republicans as a lot like what happened to the Democrats from 1969-1993. (During that time only one Democrat served a single term) The party was struggling to find itself, much like what happened to the Democrats as they tried to break with the New Deal Coalition and embrace more centrist and moderate approaches. The end result for the Democrats was the election of Bill Clinton in 1992, and if the Republican play their cards rights and in a sense 'figure themselves out' then 2016 should be a very good year for the party in terms of presidential politics.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 11:24:46 AM »

Likewise as well all saw, this continued after the primaries with people like Todd Akin's more interested in talking about rape & dead fetuses then they were about ether the unemployment rate or other pressing problems with media(which is already as a whole in Obama's pocket) all too eager to pick up on all of this radiating from the Republican Party.

My question is this.

I tend to agree with your statement about a blessing in disguise. If Romney's defeated, then the party will have a chance to reexamine itself and look towards building a winning coalition like the Democrats did in 2008.

Second point, I see what's happening to the Republicans as a lot like what happened to the Democrats from 1969-1993. (During that time only one Democrat served a single term) The party was struggling to find itself, much like what happened to the Democrats as they tried to break with the New Deal Coalition and embrace more centrist and moderate approaches. The end result for the Democrats was the election of Bill Clinton in 1992, and if the Republican play their cards rights and in a sense 'figure themselves out' then 2016 should be a very good year for the party in terms of presidential politics.

I think this is exactly right. The Democrats post-Great Society, and in fact even post-New Deal were largely seen as performing a negative function, ie. defending the gains of their past achievements for which the voters handed them control of congress and local politics.  Their actual new ideas were quite unpopular and unwanted, with the exception of briefly flirting with them in the early 1960s they were uniformly rejected.

By the same token I think the GOP is viewed largely the same way. People vote for them to defend the suburbs, to defend them from greater taxes, from unions, etc. but contrary to claims that the GOP has somehow won the battle of ideas, its actual policies are deeply unpopular. Notice that much of the criticism of Romney is that he is refusing to run on actual policies, but like the Democrats in 70s and 80s there is a reason for that. The official Republican policies have been allowed to fester in an unrealistic environment of opposition and groupthink(much as the Left's did during the late 60s and 70s) and are not only in some cases mutually contradictory(defense and deficit reduction) but deeply unpopular.

In this sense I think we are entering an era where Republicans have an advantage in congressional control, while Democrats have a built-in advantage for the Presidency. I think Bush distorts the picture. Had Bush lost in 2000, we probably would have had one GOP president over a 20 year stretch, whoever won(probably McCain) in 2004 over Gore, who in turn would have been swept out by the financial crisis.

If you look at the GOP Presidential vote since 1992 it is

37%
41%
48%
51%
46%

Whereas the Democratic vote is

43%
50%
49%
48%
53%

The Democratic floor has been pretty close to 50%. And while I don't fully buy the Democratic Majority theory of demographic change, the Democrats have both lost and gained votes over the last decade, the Democratic losses have tended to make red states redder without delivering the Upper Midwest to the GOP as of yet(this may yet change). By contrast, the Democratic gains seem to have brought into contention a number of GOP states, Colorado, Virginia, North Carolina, and to be on the verge of putting out of play federally Nevada and New Mexico. North Carolina's demographic change has continued unperturbed through the recession, and it is quite possible it will have an even PVI by 2016.

If Republicans can't make corresponding gains in the Upper Midwest, they will be at a real disadvantage in Presidential races, and I would not be shocked to see revived moves for say Pennsylvania and Michigan to split electoral votes by CD.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 10:57:37 PM »

I think the GOP just realizes that Mitt Romney is a TERRIBLE candidate, one who doesn't even disagree with a majority of Obama's policies.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 11:15:29 PM »

That losing is a "blessing in disguise" is something the losing side always seems to claim once it appears hopeless to win the current election.

I think Democrats are pretty happy John Kerry didn't have to deal with the crash. Because I'm damn happy that McCain didn't have to be president.

Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 11:19:06 PM »

My question is this.

I think this is exactly right. The Democrats post-Great Society, and in fact even post-New Deal were largely seen as performing a negative function, ie. defending the gains of their past achievements for which the voters handed them control of congress and local politics.  Their actual new ideas were quite unpopular and unwanted, with the exception of briefly flirting with them in the early 1960s they were uniformly rejected.

By the same token I think the GOP is viewed largely the same way. People vote for them to defend the suburbs, to defend them from greater taxes, from unions, etc. but contrary to claims that the GOP has somehow won the battle of ideas, its actual policies are deeply unpopular. Notice that much of the criticism of Romney is that he is refusing to run on actual policies, but like the Democrats in 70s and 80s there is a reason for that. The official Republican policies have been allowed to fester in an unrealistic environment of opposition and groupthink(much as the Left's did during the late 60s and 70s) and are not only in some cases mutually contradictory(defense and deficit reduction) but deeply unpopular.

In this sense I think we are entering an era where Republicans have an advantage in congressional control, while Democrats have a built-in advantage for the Presidency. I think Bush distorts the picture. Had Bush lost in 2000, we probably would have had one GOP president over a 20 year stretch, whoever won(probably McCain) in 2004 over Gore, who in turn would have been swept out by the financial crisis.

If you look at the GOP Presidential vote since 1992 it is

37%
41%
48%
51%
46%

Whereas the Democratic vote is

43%
50%
49%
48%
53%

The Democratic floor has been pretty close to 50%. And while I don't fully buy the Democratic Majority theory of demographic change, the Democrats have both lost and gained votes over the last decade, the Democratic losses have tended to make red states redder without delivering the Upper Midwest to the GOP as of yet(this may yet change). By contrast, the Democratic gains seem to have brought into contention a number of GOP states, Colorado, Virginia, North Carolina, and to be on the verge of putting out of play federally Nevada and New Mexico. North Carolina's demographic change has continued unperturbed through the recession, and it is quite possible it will have an even PVI by 2016.

If Republicans can't make corresponding gains in the Upper Midwest, they will be at a real disadvantage in Presidential races, and I would not be shocked to see revived moves for say Pennsylvania and Michigan to split electoral votes by CD.

Wouldnt Democrats also have an advantage in the Senate, since Republicans cant redraw the lines in Senate seats to their liking?  Obama will probably win at least 28 state, which would mean that 56 Senate seats voted for Obama. 
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 07:17:15 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2012, 09:44:41 PM by auburntiger »

SUBURBIA!

Republicans cannot afford to keep losing suburbia and win elections. That's been the trend since 2000 and it doesn't seem to be reversing. They used to have room to breathe when CA, IL, MI, NJ, PA, CT were trending blue and stayed blue, but now NV, CO, VA are slipping away and picking up steam moving in the democrats direction...there are now too few paths to victory.

If the republicans want to make a comeback and build a winning coalition, their underlying theme should be: let's make the government more efficient and work for us better, rather than the slash spending tea
Party rhetoric.

They must drop the anti-regulation rhetoric as some are just basic necessities (water, air, roads) but tork it up on reducing for things like small businesses, etc. Be pro-life, but emphasize the constitutionality of roe v wade, and introduce plans to reduce the number of abortions. Recognize that suburbia has in fact become more urban, and therefore some spending and transportation services are necessary. They must drop the xenophobic mentality and be strong on making it easier to become citizens and deport those who commit crimes. The anti-gay rhetoric will only further alienate. Candidates can be for traditional marriage, but be pro-civil unions or at least make the argument that places of worship should not be forced to recognize a union that's against their beliefs (protecting the separation of church and state). Especially if the financial crisis gets worse, we must phase out the entities that drag down our GDP (not immediately cut them). Education: reward teachers on merit. Climate change: pursue legislation protecting our environment. Eliminate the tax loopholes for the wealthy.

Basically, a big-tent mentality and recognize there is middle ground! Maybe Jon Huntsman or a like-minded candidate would be a good start.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 11:03:37 PM »

What has done in the GOP this cycle is (A) the absence of A-list candidates in the primary process, and (B) the lack of credibility their standard bearer.  Mitt Romney will be the very last GOP candidate for the GOP that will not be a true "movement conservative".

The GOP is down in the polls due solely to the personal shortcomings of Mitt Romney.  Romney's unpopularity has little to do with his positions on issues; it has much to do with the perception that he is man with no core principles who made a Faustian bargain with conservatives that has not worked out well for movement conservatives.

If Romney loses, the conservative base will take steps to ensure that a movement conservative who is ready for prime time will be the candidate in 2016.  This probably rules out Jeb Bush, and it will probably rule out Paul Ryan, who has lost standing during this campaign.  I believe that by the end of 2013, movement conservatives will be coalescing around a particular movement conservative candidate to make sure that there are no more McCains and no more Romneys.
Paleobrazilian
Brazil

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 03:59:33 PM »
« Edited: September 25, 2012, 09:03:50 PM by Paleobrazilian »

The GOP will slowly become something similar to the UK Conservative Party with slight shades of the UKIP.
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 10:27:18 PM »
« Edited: September 25, 2012, 10:28:52 PM by auburntiger »

What has done in the GOP this cycle is (A) the absence of A-list candidates in the primary process, and (B) the lack of credibility their standard bearer.  Mitt Romney will be the very last GOP candidate for the GOP that will not be a true "movement conservative".

The GOP is down in the polls due solely to the personal shortcomings of Mitt Romney.  Romney's unpopularity has little to do with his positions on issues; it has much to do with the perception that he is man with no core principles who made a Faustian bargain with conservatives that has not worked out well for movement conservatives.

If Romney loses, the conservative base will take steps to ensure that a movement conservative who is ready for prime time will be the candidate in 2016.  This probably rules out Jeb Bush, and it will probably rule out Paul Ryan, who has lost standing during this campaign.  I believe that by the end of 2013, movement conservatives will be coalescing around a particular movement conservative candidate to make sure that there are no more McCains and no more Romneys.

If by "movement conservative" you mean tea-party, this is huge risk for Republicans in 2016. It's going to matter how Obama is perceived that year. If his second term is a success, I very doubt the tea-party would be strong enough force to put forth a candidate to win then. However, if his second term is a failure, GOP could win, but it's going to be a tight rope to walk in the electoral college. Could states like PA, MI, or MN be realistic opportunities for pickups?

The question for the GOP will ultimately be, how do we expand the map, and from that a strong winning coalition in Suburbia? Call it the Suburban Strategy.
We have only seen 2010 as evidence so far for success of the tea party movement and only that in selective states.

That said, if the GOP nominates a Rick Perry type, they might as well wait til 2020. If it's a Huntsman type, that would be the best thing for them.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 10:48:52 PM »

Same old excuse and the party continues to run itself into the ground..."we weren't conservative enough".

Joke
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 08:20:05 PM »

They ought to connect the dots and realize that Mitt started outpolling Obama when he made his frantic sprint to the center in the first debate. Romney said things in that debate that would have gotten him run out of a primary debate on a rail. It wasn't a pivot; it was an about-face.

That's the kind of Republican that wins mainstream America and wins elections. And the Jim DeMint-Ted Cruz approach is completely antithetical to that. The Republican comeback isn't going to be engineered by the Tea Party ideologues in the Senate (DeMint, Rubio, Paul, Cruz). It's going to come from state governors like Susana Martinez or Chris Christie or Bill Haslam.
Cryptic
Shadowlord88

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -6.09

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 02:29:08 AM »
« Edited: October 11, 2012, 02:30:40 AM by Shadowlord88 »

Logic would say they’ll move back toward the center.  If the far-right ideology of the Tea Party couldn’t deliver the White House with the economy still recovering as slowly as it is, it should be obvious that continuing to appeal to them is not a viable strategy for future elections.  Of course, one could argue moving to the center would’ve been the more logical course in 2008 too, so we'll have to wait and see. 
freefair
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 08:12:03 AM »

The GOP will slowly become something similar to the UK Conservative Party with slight shades of the UKIP.
I wish.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 07:15:48 PM »

If the GOP doesn't win in November, I hope the party fails and has to start from scratch, reinvents itself to become a success.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 08:38:59 AM »

They repeat the insane claim that they lost because they "nominated a moderate" when they really just didn't run a very good campaign.  This has worked for them since the 90s, and if Romney happens to lose, they'll use it again, even though it's not true.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 09:18:42 AM »

They'll move further to the right and claim that Romney "wasn't conservative enough."

MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 06:01:33 PM »

They ought to connect the dots and realize that Mitt started outpolling Obama when he made his frantic sprint to the center in the first debate. Romney said things in that debate that would have gotten him run out of a primary debate on a rail. It wasn't a pivot; it was an about-face.

That's the kind of Republican that wins mainstream America and wins elections. And the Jim DeMint-Ted Cruz approach is completely antithetical to that. The Republican comeback isn't going to be engineered by the Tea Party ideologues in the Senate (DeMint, Rubio, Paul, Cruz). It's going to come from state governors like Susana Martinez or Chris Christie or Bill Haslam.

Or Mitch Daniels (Mike Pence) and Nikki Haley. But the DeMint faction is right on the issues point blank. Try the coming of Tea Party Governors (Pence, Martinez and more to come)
gsmiro
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: 4.45

P P
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 09:06:56 PM »

So many on the board claim that "Romney is not conservative enough" is an excuse.  But it is not!  It is a fact.  Romney agrees with Obama on 90% of the major issues.  Romney only claims he's against abortion because he's running for the president.  When he ran for governor of MA, he was not against abortion.  He's a career politician.  He is not a true conservative.  We should have nominated Ron Paul, who's a true, non-flip-flop fiscal, social and foreign policy conservative. 

When the republicans lose this time.  It can open up an opportunity for true tea-party republicans and liberty-minded candidates to retake the party.  It will be a great opportunity for Rand Paul to take the charge for 2016.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2012, 11:20:12 AM »

...and if he wins?
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2012, 06:25:14 PM »
« Edited: October 30, 2012, 06:34:31 PM by tarheel-leftist85 »

They call Obie's Social Security privatization "shared sacrifice" scheme a "socialist takeover," while libewals brag about "getting something done." For Repubs who'd put the last of the New Deal under the guillotine, predator drone Africa/South Asia/Arabian Peninsula into "peace," and give full reign to the banksters, Obie himself is the blessing - Pubs can even call it "Kenyan Muslim Marxist Socialism -ZOMG!1!!eleven!."  They're are many Dembots who share those same policy preferences, even if they favor different consumer-based "cultural" cues - compromise!

Hey, at least the base of the Repub Party got what they want; totally not, the Orange County choice for "most electable."

If only [Dems|Repubs] vote for the "lesser evil" one more time ... we'll all get ponies!
Cryptic
Shadowlord88

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -6.09

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2012, 07:44:30 PM »

Say Romney wasn't conservative enough and shift further right.  It'll take a landslide defeat for them to actually try and reinvent themselves.
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2012, 01:54:46 AM »

I don't think a 2% loss is going to send a strong enough message for them, so they'll predictably say "Romney wasn't conservative enough." They will continue to move to the right.

It's going to take a 1932 or 1964 landslide defeat for them to wake up and realize the 20th century is over and they can't win with their social positions and attacking growing demographics.

Jordan
Rookie
Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -9.74

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2012, 07:15:25 PM »
« Edited: November 08, 2012, 07:18:12 PM by Jordan »

Instead of engaging in some self analysis and adjusting the party to suit the electorate, they'll just adjust the electorate to suit them.

They'll just purge all the Black, Hispanic, Asian, and people with "Other" ethnicities off of the voter roles.

They'll get rid of any early voting anywhere.  

They'll set up 1 polling booth in big cities like Philadelphia and make lower-income voters stand in line for 15 hours.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies