What happens to the GOP if they fail in November? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:05:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What happens to the GOP if they fail in November? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What happens to the GOP if they fail in November?  (Read 4051 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: September 23, 2012, 02:02:52 AM »
« edited: September 24, 2012, 12:43:13 AM by Kevin »

What happens to the GOP esp. within it? If Obama happens to win reelection, combined with the possibilty of the Democrats strengthening their hold on the Senate?

I ask this because the Republican ticket from Romney down should be doing electoral cartwheels around Preisdent Obama and the Democrats everywhere. Specifically considering that the man at the top of the Democratic reelection ticket for President Big O is not popular at all, let alone his policies or his handing of the economy since taking office in 2009. Furthermore, since August the economic news overall has not been good for Obama at all such as it has been for the past nearly 4 years. All & All though it appears somehow the 2nd coming of Jimmy Carter is going to win a return ticket to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW DC.

My take on this is that if Romeny does lose this, the GOP base blew it for him & all the other Republicans running this year to tossup seats in ether the Senate or Congress. The reason I say this is that the extreme idological demands of groups like the Tea Partiers & others helped push the level of debate within the GOP to the right with it. In turn offending independents, Latinos, Women, etc.

Likewise as well all saw, this continued after the primaries with people like Todd Akin more interested in talking about rape & dead fetuses then they were about ether the unemployment rate or other pressing problems with the media(which is already as a whole in Obama's pocket) all too eager to pick up on all of this radiating from the Republican Party.

My question is this.

Does the GOP continue to double down on the ultra-conservatism? Or will it learn from the Democrats post-2004 in turn it's energy & message into something more understandable for the average voter? Ex. Will the GOP move to the center again?

I'm actually starting to believe that a 2nd term for Obama is a blessing in disguise for the GOP. As I think the President & Democratic Party as a whole will continue to burdened by the unpopularity of their legislation combined with the mounting problems with the budget & other economic problems. Also, we have the midterm elections upcoming in 2014 and I think the GOP will def take the Senate then considering that many of the Democratic Seats up are in deep Red states like Louisana, Arkansas, South Dakota, Alaska and Montana. Or are upopular Democrat's/retiring Dems in traditional swing states like Oregon & New Hampshire, Iowa, or Michigan.

Likewise, I think it's the kiss of electoral death for the Democrats since I think if Obama does win in November it's going to be like the D version of W's 2nd term for them.

So what direction does the Republican Party go in with it's ideology, message, and more if Obama wins?

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies