Downballot Democrats need to start shaking Obama down for money
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:22:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Downballot Democrats need to start shaking Obama down for money
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Downballot Democrats need to start shaking Obama down for money  (Read 478 times)
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 23, 2012, 10:56:07 PM »

The Presidential race is over.  Romney is not going to reverse a six point lead.  Its never happened this late in a campaign. 

Democrats need to start focusing on downballot races, like trying to gain as many House seats as possible. 

Obama getting 400 electoral votes doesnt help Democrats one bit.  Nixon won in the biggest landslide in history in 1972, yet Republicans gained almost nothing downballot.  You need a coordinated message and downballot money to make coattails happen. 

If Democrats actually lose seats in both the House when they are already in such a weak position there, Obama and Democrats will be laughed at.  The last time this happened was in 1988 and Bush's four years were an absolute disaster where he was walked around on a leash by Congressional Democrats.

If Republicans stay over 240 seats in the House this election, they will entrench themselves and probably hold the majority for the rest of our lives. 
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 10:59:44 PM »

I wouldn't call the election a lock yet.  After the first debate, then maybe Obama can afford to send some money downballot. 
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 11:02:35 PM »

I wouldn't call the election a lock yet.  After the first debate, then maybe Obama can afford to send some money downballot. 

Yeah, but even then I doubt he will.  He didnt in fall 2008 when he was a lock and Democrats did far worse in the House than anybody expected.  If he had simply campaigned for Franken in Minnesota in the final days of the election, that race would have been more clear cut and Franken would have been seated immediately rather than seven months later. 

Even Bill Clinton campaigned for Boxer in 1992 near the end when it looked like she was in trouble against Herschonson and for Harkin, Johnson, and Swett in 1996.  Obama should be doing the same. 
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 11:20:07 PM »

Obama was in Milwaukee over the weekend and Baldwin did introduce him. I could see Obama helping out and campaigning for candidates in Presidential swing states especially NV, OH, VA and WI.     
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 11:24:31 PM »

Yeah, luckily most of the important Senate races where he would help are swing states (NV, WI, VA). I doubt he'd be very helpful in Montana, North Dakota or Indiana. The one exception to this is Massachusetts, where a rally for Warren in Boston or somewhere in the last week might be very helpful.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 11:26:48 PM »

Yeah, luckily most of the important Senate races where he would help are swing states (NV, WI, VA). I doubt he'd be very helpful in Montana, North Dakota or Indiana. The one exception to this is Massachusetts, where a rally for Warren in Boston or somewhere in the last week might be very helpful.

He should definately go to Massachussetts.  Clinton went there in 1996 for Kerry and was part of the reason why he won so big over Weld. 
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 01:46:18 AM »

I agree with this except Indiana, where I think Obama used in some places (Indianapolis, Gary, South Bend, West Lafayette, Bloomington) would help Donnelly. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies