GriffGraph: Balance of Power Comparisons (Past 30 Days)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:55:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  GriffGraph: Balance of Power Comparisons (Past 30 Days)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GriffGraph: Balance of Power Comparisons (Past 30 Days)  (Read 967 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 24, 2012, 01:07:36 AM »
« edited: September 25, 2012, 02:22:53 AM by IDS Legislator Gingrich »

For your pleasure, I am releasing the third set of Balance of Power rankings to give everyone an idea of the status of each region. I *believe* the displayed seats are correct this time, however, let me know if anything is amiss. You can view the last GriffGraph Balance of Power Comparisons here.

The first set of images show plurality/majority party affiliation by region:

The party with plurality advantage in each region either saw drops (Labor -4.13 in Midwest, Labor -5.00 in Pacific & Imperial Bloc -13.37 in IDS) or ever-so-slight increases (Whig +0.02 in Mideast & Liberal +0.61 in Northeast).

The second set of images compare an aggregate of voter registration, executive, legislative and judicial control to effectively determine which parties have the most power:

Northeast

The Labor and Whig Parties both made slight gains in the Northeast (+2.19 and +1.27, respectively). The Liberal Party - which made gains last month when compared to June - saw its share of power slip (-5.47).

Mideast

In the Mideast, the Whig Party has suffered the largest implosion of any party in any region (-24.93), while the MCPR achieved a +4.83 point gain. The Liberal Party has seen a +15.12 point gain in the Mideast, the largest gain of any party in any region. The MCPR has shot to number one power broker, shifting Whigs to second place. Independents dropped from third place and were replaced by Liberals.

IDS

In the IDS, the Imperial Bloc has prevented losses by moving to replace Judicial Overlord Pingvin with John Dibble, giving the Imperial Bloc a +6.88 point gain in effective power. The Labor Party made the largest gains in the IDS (+13.42), while the Whigs saw a -10.05 point drop in effective power due to de-registration and no elected or appointed Whigs remaining in the IDS. Whigs have dropped off the top 3 power broker list and have been replaced by Independents.

Midwest

In the Midwest, the election of Prime Verin Ilikeverin shifted 'Other' from 11.59% to 24.33% (+12.74). The Labor Party saw nominal losses (-2.75), but the gains made by 'Other' parties mainly impacted Liberal power in the Midwest (-9.26).

Pacific

The Pacific has seen substantial gains in Whig control through the election of Governor Spamage (+12.24) while the Liberal and Labor Parties lost power (-8.33 & -3.33, respectively). The Whig Party moved into the top three power brokers in the Pacific over the past thirty days, silencing Independents. Since the legislature is in a transitory period, I have kept the calculations featuring a universal legislature.

Other Fun Observations

During this time, the Mideast surpassed the Northeast as the most populous region. The IDS saw - in terms of % and nominally - the largest increase in population (12.5% & 3, respectively). The Mideast's population grew by 2 (5.7%) and the Pacific's population grew by 1 (5.26%). Both the Northeast and Midwest's populations remain unchanged from one month ago. A total of 5 out of 15 regional legislative seats have changed parties since last month (3 in the Mideast, 1 in both the IDS & NE) and three out of five executive seats have changed parties as well (ZuWo > Tmth, NVTownsend > Spamage & Hawkeye > Ilikeverin). Based on the numbers and Atlasian observation, it would appear that the Whig Party is on the verge of functional collapse. Only one party managed to be in the top three parties in 4 regions: the Labor Party.

Here is how the national numbers stand up:

Finally, an image depicting the swing in each region – based on the Balance of Power maps above:

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 01:15:47 AM »

Don't forget that the current VP (Nathan) is a Labor Party member.

Great work, love these maps!
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 01:34:16 AM »

Don't forget that the current VP (Nathan) is a Labor Party member.

Great work, love these maps!

Oh, my. I fixed it; I didn't even look at the national section, thinking there had been no changes in the past month. Rather, there were no elections.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 05:12:18 AM »

Declining membership and increasing power. That's the power of the Bloc.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 12:28:08 PM »

Excellant work! Smiley
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 05:52:56 PM »

Declining membership and increasing power. That's the power of the Bloc.

Most of that power came in the form of kinetic energy, from the wind of the Whigs imploding. Wink
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 07:18:34 PM »

A: Do you have some sort of compilation thing where you can see which parties are the most powerful overall? and B: Aren't there more Liberals in the At-large seats?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 08:06:14 PM »

A: Do you have some sort of compilation thing where you can see which parties are the most powerful overall? and B: Aren't there more Liberals in the At-large seats?

B: You would be correct. Fixed.

A: I'll look into it.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 08:10:04 PM »

I contend that there is no "most powerful party" in the current party system. No party can win on its own.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 08:24:48 PM »

I contend that there is no "most powerful party" in the current party system. No party can win on its own.

Except the Liberals, who will probably soon control half the Senate.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 08:26:44 PM »

Liberals can't win with only Liberal votes. You could argue that our candidates are more appealing, I guess, but it's hard to convince me that the party itself is much stronger than any other. The Whigs, Liberals and Labor have all held registration pluralities over the last few months.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 08:49:31 PM »

Liberals can't win with only Liberal votes. You could argue that our candidates are more appealing, I guess, but it's hard to convince me that the party itself is much stronger than any other. The Whigs, Liberals and Labor have all held registration pluralities over the last few months.

True, but you guys still have a machine.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 09:26:28 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2012, 09:28:00 PM by IDS Legislator Gingrich »

Well, I have returned from intense calculating! Here are the national numbers; if you don't like the formula, make one of your own. Tongue These include the recent changes in membership and Simfan's switch to Liberal.

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 09:38:33 PM »

Woo yeah! Go Labor!
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 02:25:02 AM »

I should also mention that the discrepancy of the percentages when added up are coming from 1 currently vacant Senate seat and the judicial vacancy in the Pacific.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 02:43:54 PM »

These maps are amazing. I'm gonna have a lot of work to do with my polling to catch up to these!

The best way is to find something that no one is doing yet and then proceed to create your own algorithms and methods for determining results. I absolutely love maps, yet didn't see anyone ranking the parties by region or by overall power - I felt compelled to do it. It does take a bit of work to do these, but I've made the process fairly streamlined by now.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 12:39:46 AM »

Normally I do these every month. With such recent shifts in the political climate, there will be an updated GriffGraph Balance of Power published within the next day or so.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies