Should I run?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:20:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Should I run?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Should I run?  (Read 736 times)
Spanish Moss
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 24, 2012, 03:19:45 PM »

I just found out, to my own surprise, that my County Legislative district is, at this point, a one-candidate coronation (listed on two lines - Republican and Conservative).  I hate any election that's merely a coronation.

I may or may not do this, but I was wondering what you all think - should I run as a write in (too late to file)?

My views are unconventional, certainly - for example, with the way things are here with business having been leaving for years and bigger companies getting tax breaks while laying off more and more workers, I think the county should end the tax breaks and issue no-interest loans to worker cooperatives which apply for them and the county feels are reasonable business models to loan to.  Cooperatives because they have the exact incentive not to ever leave the area.  Amongst numerous other things dealing with corruption.

Thoughts?
Spanish Moss
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 03:44:32 PM »

Nevermind, they redistricted and I forgot - I was wrong, there are two candidates.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 03:48:02 PM »

I still think you should run. Regardless of your views, it'd be cool to have another elected official amongst us Smiley
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 03:52:12 PM »

Go ahead. Not that I would support you or someone with even vaguely similar views, but it's always good to have as many options in an election as possible.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 05:54:14 PM »

You should've sprung into action earlier for a ballot line. It isn't' difficult; if this guy can do it, so can you.

Or this guy.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 09:11:42 PM »

I don't tend to favor opposing members of the Republican or Conservative party. However, I'm also a supporter of the Atlas Ascendancy, when one day Atlasians will hold actual government offices. Go for it.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 09:12:59 PM »

Run only if you have something to say that you think will make a difference, know it cold, and you are doing this to give it more press. If you do it well, you will gain respect in your community. That's a grand step in anyone's life. But it needs to be about beef, not ego.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 02:32:49 AM »

Run only if you have something to say that you think will make a difference, know it cold, and you are doing this to give it more press. If you do it well, you will gain respect in your community. That's a grand step in anyone's life. But it needs to be about beef, not ego.

Exactly.  Also, if you don't have time to really devote yourself to the cause, don't do it.  There's no point to investing time into a write-in campaign unless you're going to go all out to promote your cause.  In that case, it's just a waste of your time that you could spend doing on something meaningful.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 07:12:28 PM »

Exactly.  Also, if you don't have time to really devote yourself to the cause, don't do it.  There's no point to investing time into a write-in campaign unless you're going to go all out to promote your cause.  In that case, it's just a waste of your time that you could spend doing on something meaningful.

True, but if you are serious about making a run in the future a short campaign might get some attention from some of the regular politicos in the area. If so, that could translate to support in the future.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 09:17:22 PM »

Yep. Then work your way up to State Senate, then to US House, then to Governor, then to Failed Presidential Candidate.

Or you could take the Bob Casey Jr route and have a dad who is basically a monument within the state and become Senator solely because of that.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 10:00:10 AM »

Yep. Then work your way up to State Senate, then to US House, then to Governor, then to Failed Presidential Candidate.

Or you could take the Bob Casey Jr route and have a dad who is basically a monument within the state and become Senator solely because of that.

Always have a political dad. Good idea. Hey man before you run tell Papa to run for governor. Then you can sit back and slowly enjoy life.

Quite right.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 11:57:25 AM »

True, but if you are serious about making a run in the future a short campaign might get some attention from some of the regular politicos in the area. If so, that could translate to support in the future.

If I can ask, before you won, how many did you lose? 
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 09:45:22 PM »

Twice. Each time for a local office that I won the next time. The subsequent wins included support of those in power who hadn't seriously considered me the first time.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 08:07:29 AM »

Twice. Each time for a local office that I won the next time. The subsequent wins included support of those in power who hadn't seriously considered me the first time.

Thanks, muon.  As you noted, your campaign must have drawn attention from the politicos.....of course, I'm waiting for your elevation to Governor.....they need one who won't go to jail Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies