Are the senate races a reason why Obama doesn't visit Indiana/Missouri/Montana?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:55:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Are the senate races a reason why Obama doesn't visit Indiana/Missouri/Montana?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are the senate races a reason why Obama doesn't visit Indiana/Missouri/Montana?  (Read 779 times)
User157088589849
BlondeArtisit

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 24, 2012, 07:38:51 PM »

Obama isn't going to win in Indiana, Missouri or Montana but he could force the gop/romney camp to spend money however he isn't doing it.

Is it because the three democrats running for the senate - Tester, Donnelly and McCaskill - think they have a better chance of winning by keeping it local?

I just can't imagine there are many romney/tester, romney/donnelly and mccaskill/romney voters.
Is Obama still a disadvantage for McCaskill? Is Romney really going to stand with Akin?
Mister Twister

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 07:42:17 PM »

Well, no, it's because there isn't enough money to go around

It actually wouldn't be a bad thing to visit/advertise in IN/MO/MT/AZ. While Obama won't win those states, putting effort into them will at least lower the amount he loses by and get more Dems out to vote (which would be a net benefit for the downballot senate races).
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 07:47:01 PM »

I think it's a factor, more so in Indiana and Montana than Missouri though.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 08:07:24 PM »

I'd think there'd be a lot of Romney/Tester voters, which is why people like Tester and Schweitzer and Bullock and Baucus are able to win election while Montana remains solidly Republican.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 09:32:40 PM »

I'd think there'd be a lot of Romney/Tester voters, which is why people like Tester and Schweitzer and Bullock and Baucus are able to win election while Montana remains solidly Republican.

I can also imagine plenty of suburban Republicans who are moderate on social issues voting Romney/McCaskill, thanks to Akin's big mouth (and pea brain).
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 10:00:42 PM »

Missouri has been trending to Obama recently, although Romney still has the advantage there.  If Obama chooses to take the fight to Romney on his turf, Missouri is likely the first Red State Obama will spend money on. 

This, I believe, has more to do with the calamities of the Romney campaign more than anything about Todd Akin.  I think it is very possible that Obama could carry Missouri by a tiny margin while Akin squeaks out a victory.  Not LIKELY, mind you, but POSSIBLE.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 10:02:19 PM »

Has he been to Massachusetts any time lately?
PrisonerOfHope
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.70, S: -5.50

P
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 12:13:50 AM »
« Edited: September 25, 2012, 12:35:18 AM by PrisonerOfHope »

I agree it has been a resource allocation issue.  It is definitely time to start spending in all three though.  Really, how much does a media buy cost in MT?  Latest poll has IN closer than any other R. lean state and a repeat win is definitely possible.  There was not the exposure of four years ago due to the primary, but that is what advertizing and campaigning is for.  Hell, I'd even run ads and/or visit GA & AZ.  Answer Mr. 47% with a 50 state campaign!

PS -- Regarding GA, I'm in Vietnam right now and I'm thinking Republicans must view I-95 as something akin to the Ho Chi Minh Trail.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 01:19:24 AM »
« Edited: September 25, 2012, 01:21:43 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

I agree it has been a resource allocation issue.  It is definitely time to start spending in all three though.  Really, how much does a media buy cost in MT?  Latest poll has IN closer than any other R. lean state and a repeat win is definitely possible.  There was not the exposure of four years ago due to the primary, but that is what advertizing and campaigning is for.  Hell, I'd even run ads and/or visit GA & AZ.  Answer Mr. 47% with a 50 state campaign!

PS -- Regarding GA, I'm in Vietnam right now and I'm thinking Republicans must view I-95 as something akin to the Ho Chi Minh Trail.

Well, there's no way they'd waste money buying ads in the expensive Chicago market so that they could run statewide in Indiana.
PrisonerOfHope
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.70, S: -5.50

P
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 01:36:59 AM »

Well, there's no way they'd waste money buying ads in the expensive Chicago market so that they could run statewide in Indiana.

Buy Indianapolis/Bloomington, GOTV in Gary?
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 02:50:26 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Oh, ye of little faith. Smiley
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 06:16:11 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Oh, ye of little faith. Smiley

Missouri is a very real possibility given the signs we're seeing - particularly loss of support among olds.  Indiana and Montana, well, less likely I think.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 10:30:44 AM »

Buy Indianapolis/Bloomington, GOTV in Gary?

Also South Bend. I am sure that the Cincinnati and Dayton markets in swing-state Ohio are relevant to southeastern Indiana.

Tea Party pols will soon that they gerrymandered Rep. Donnelly into what looked like an unwinnable seat and dumped Senator Richard Lugar for one of their own. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies