A Simfan/Nathan Copycat Thread: The American "Reverse Course"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:21:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  A Simfan/Nathan Copycat Thread: The American "Reverse Course"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A Simfan/Nathan Copycat Thread: The American "Reverse Course"  (Read 337 times)
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 24, 2012, 11:55:16 PM »

I'm bored. And copycats threads are in fashion this time of year.

Unlike well, a lot of people, I don't really hold many strong views on most domestic policy issues (besides education, immigration, and labor), and I wouldn't hold the conceit that I know the best way to "engineer" society into some kind of utopia or know what's best in every policy sector. And I don't desire to ever attain American-style political office (with the constant cameras and trackers and all of that). And that being said, my academic background is mostly in foreign policy/international relations, economic history, and comparative government. So not very "locally American" in my outlook. So now let's say I get put somewhere.

So what would happen if I was put in a position of power? But let's say it was one very different than most posited by various others. Let's say the USA tried to move toward parliamentary, unitary government, it did not work at all, and that's how we swept in. I become in charge of a shadow cabinet, like being the chairman of a Policy Affairs Research Council of a political party that with a relatively weak plurality of the popular vote, having only achieved a relatively strong parliamentary majority due to first-past-the-post vote splitting and other hilarious electoral shenanigans. Say I got it through personal patronage or just being a long-time party member or bureaucratic experience. Doesn't really matter.

Checks and balances are few, but another election is due in four to six years. Let's also say we have a small party paramilitary force (let's say the transition to parliamentary government went poorly). Nothing too strong/omnipresent, but relevant enough to grant the party very limited extrajudicial powers. As such, the main restraining factor on my decisions will be the acquiescence of a sufficient proportion of party's parliamentary representation, so things that would lead to electoral disaster are out of the question. And stuff that leads to winning more elections will be much more easily accepted.

So what do?
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 02:32:04 AM »

First Session of the Parliament

A Typical Day in the Capital

Civil Parliamentary Debate

The First of Many Student Protests

Massive props to anyone who can source them all.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 04:05:08 AM »

I got nothing for the first image.  Second image is "Angry South Koreans facing a dusty Police".  Third is Taiwan.  Forth is Paris, 1968.

Why yes, I did cheat a bit.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 04:25:43 AM »

The first is obviously Japan. I'm going to guess either immediate postwar or Treaty of Mutual Cooperation and Security.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies