Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 30, 2014, 11:04:12 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: True Federalist, Former Moderate, Badger)
| | |-+  Students mocking Michelle Obama lunch mandate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Students mocking Michelle Obama lunch mandate  (Read 1695 times)
SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.03, S: -8.96

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2012, 08:19:44 pm »
Ignore

By 2030, about half of America will be obese. States like Mississippi will lead the way with an expected 67% of them being obese. America is already viewed as something of a fat joke and will consider to be viewed that way until something is done. Tell me people whining about government telling them what they can and cannot eat - do you like the United States being viewed as a fat joke? Because those of us overseas consider you to be just that.

I'd much rather have America be considered "a fat joke" than it be a nanny state that prescribes precisely what you can and cannot eat.

In the Serengeti, the animals subscribe to a "nanny state" system. The Wilderness gives the antelopes, giraffes, zebras etc a certain amount of grass to eat. The Wilderness that is the Serengeti also gives the lions, cheetahs etc a certain amount of antelope, buffalo etc to eat. This is why the Sarengeti doesn't have any fat f*** animals roaming around. Just think of the school system as The Wilderness and your country won't be the laughingstock of the world.

What the hell is this. I don't even. English? I'm supposed to think of the school system as a jungle or something? So we should give kids a limited amount of food and have them fight over it like the Hunger Games or something? Or, since nature has chosen to gift us with Twinkies, we should all have Twinkies? Please rephrase in a way that approaches some form of logical coherent thought.

I'd much rather have America be considered "a fat joke" than it be a nanny state that prescribes precisely what you can and cannot eat.

Since schools are part of the government, they can set the can guidelines for what is served, since the food is paid for by the government. No one is stopping this kids from eating 4000 calories a day if they choose so, they just won't get served high calorie food at school.

I don't get how people think this is a law that outlaws certain foods, it isn't even close to that.

His specific phrasing gives the impression that he supports the government telling people what they can eat.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 08:27:06 pm by IDS Legislator SJoyceFla »Logged

MagneticFree
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2012, 09:31:26 pm »
Ignore

Since schools are part of the government, they can set the can guidelines for what is served, since the food is paid for by the government. No one is stopping this kids from eating 4000 calories a day if they choose so, they just won't get served high calorie food at school.

I don't get how people think this is a law that outlaws certain foods, it isn't even close to that.
That's alot of fruits and veggies to be equivalent of 4000 calories, their large intestines couldn't handle all that fiber intake in a short setting.  Not enough proteins and red meat in a government school diet unless the school menu has nuts, grains and fish.  Majority of kids do not like fish and seafood as an alternative of red and white meat for that matter.

Lets be honest, do we want to see kids being hungry? Probably not, but banning families from bringing outside food is an atrocity. Individual choices at home is where it begins and if the kids parents can't make that happen, then they're in for a rude awakening.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 09:33:16 pm by 5280 »Logged

Paul/Cruz 2016!
Invisible Obama
DrScholl
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2012, 09:34:24 pm »
Ignore

I don't think most schools are going to ban home lunches, I've only seen example of one doing that. It's doubtful that would become a trend.

Please seek a 5150 if your candidate loses.
asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2012, 09:38:57 pm »
Ignore

Why is this even an issue?

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
Mister Twister
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2012, 09:43:43 pm »
Ignore

By 2030, about half of America will be obese. States like Mississippi will lead the way with an expected 67% of them being obese. America is already viewed as something of a fat joke and will consider to be viewed that way until something is done. Tell me people whining about government telling them what they can and cannot eat - do you like the United States being viewed as a fat joke? Because those of us overseas consider you to be just that.

In the Serengeti, the animals subscribe to a "nanny state" system. The Wilderness gives the antelopes, giraffes, zebras etc a certain amount of grass to eat. The Wilderness that is the Serengeti also gives the lions, cheetahs etc a certain amount of antelope, buffalo etc to eat. This is why the Sarengeti doesn't have any fat f*** animals roaming around. Just think of the school system as The Wilderness and your country won't be the laughingstock of the world.

What the hell is this. I don't even. English? I'm supposed to think of the school system as a jungle or something? So we should give kids a limited amount of food and have them fight over it like the Hunger Games or something? Or, since nature has chosen to gift us with Twinkies, we should all have Twinkies? Please rephrase in a way that approaches some form of logical coherent thought.

Uh, the Serengeti is NOT a jungle. Do you not know anything about Africa? This is exactly why American schools need to stop giving junk food away at lunches.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 07:02:28 am by Mister Twister »Logged
Governor TJ
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2012, 10:16:32 pm »
Ignore

A school banning students from bringing homemade lunches is a huge deal because it means that students/their parents do not have the right to control their own diet and it instead is subject to authorities while in school. People don't like to be controlled in a way they feel is totally unnecessary.

SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.03, S: -8.96

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2012, 05:30:28 am »
Ignore

Uh, the Sarangeti is NOT a jungle. Do you not know anything about Africa? This is exactly why American schools need to stop giving junk food away at lunches.

I know enough to know that you just misspelled Serengeti. Are you saying that junk food makes people stupid or are you just avoiding the question?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 05:34:35 am by IDS Legislator SJoyceFla »Logged

opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2012, 05:44:47 am »
Ignore

Because of Homeland Security - the Brown Bag Lunch could contain a bomb, gun, or other weapon.  Even a very firm unripened banana could be hazardous.

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

Mister Twister
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2012, 07:04:50 am »
Ignore

Uh, the Sarangeti is NOT a jungle. Do you not know anything about Africa? This is exactly why American schools need to stop giving junk food away at lunches.

I know enough to know that you just misspelled Serengeti. Are you saying that junk food makes people stupid or are you just avoiding the question?

Uh, I only misspelled "Serengeti" because of cognitive dissonance. I was eating spaghetti, you see. My apologies. That is why I ended up merging the words together. But you are dodging the issue at hand by attacking my spelling of Serengeti.
Sbane
sbane
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2012, 08:27:07 am »
Ignore

Wait a second now, how many schools are banning kids from bringing their own lunch? And what if you don't qualify for free meals, are you still banned from bringing your own lunch? I am going to have to assume this is just a bunch of crap unless I see some proof this is being forced on schools nationwide, as opposed to some random school district doing it.

Of course the calorie limit is nationwide, and perfectly rational. Sure, an exception for athletes can be made but the rest of the kids should not be eating more than 800 calories for lunch! I don't get how this is controversial. If they still feel hungry after 800 calories, they need help! I'm serious here. One of the first signs of type 2 diabetes is polyphagia. They should go see a doctor rather than eat more food.

While you guys are so epically concerned about entering a 1984 like state, America is going through an actual crisis rather than an imagined one. That crisis is childhood obesity. Do you understand what will happen to those kids if they develop hypertension, diabetes and high cholesterol while in high school? Do you guys understand the consequences of that on the nation?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 08:31:42 am by Senator Sbane »Logged
Senator Polnut
polnut
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2012, 08:31:59 am »
Ignore

Apart from the point that Michelle Obama can't mandate anything... the right usually finds a place where someone has gone over the top and decided that the situation is wide-spread and indicative of evil democrats. To think otherwise requires common sense and critical thought and... yeah. But they're two separate issues anyway, using the school to teach healthy eating is a good thing and obviously banning school lunches is stupid (but I'd also like to see evidence that would merit the righteous indignation of some).

Considering there often is a connection between income and health, as well as the quality of food available - I take it they're happy to pay for these kids' medical bills when the time comes.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 08:37:15 am by Former President Polnut »Logged

Dogma is a comfortable thing, it saves you from thought - Sir Robert Menzies
Sbane
sbane
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2012, 08:36:41 am »
Ignore

Wait... telling kids they should eat healthy... and they object to it?!?!

Wait, I need to alert the authorities.... just wait right there...

Typical right-wing paranoia... 'omg, suggesting that kids shouldn't eat lard coated lard is an attack on our freedoms to give our kids heart disease and obesity!!!'... Besides, the rules would be applied by local school boards... you want to make a pathetic display... go harass them.

Only in America would adults support kids acting like...well, kids, rather than telling them to tough it out and eat their veggies. Probably a bunch of fat fukcs themselves.
Link
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2012, 08:58:44 am »
Ignore

Secondly, some schools are banning homemade lunches.

Man, it's almost like schools are prisons.

Why do you think I left public school and graduated via a charter high school?

I left private school and graduated from public school... better education.  There were a lot more rules and regulations at private school.  It was heavy on the fundy Christian stuff... pretty light on the science stuff.  Had to make a change... had to.

Insane quote of the year-

"Every aspect of life in America is worse than when he [Obama] took over" -Marco Rubio
Warner for Senate '14
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2012, 09:01:08 am »
Ignore

Why do you think I left public school and graduated via a charter high school?

I always assumed it was because you couldn't handle real school.

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
АverroŽs Nix
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2012, 12:08:09 pm »
Ignore

I have no sympathy for the fatties.  They should amend the rules to allow multiple servings for athletes, however, which seem to be a lot of the complaints.

Kids who walk to school also deserve an exemption.

Serious question - by dismissing the personal freedoms-based concerns as frivolous and politically-motivated - and ignoring the issue - are we overlooking a legitimate concern about child hunger?

PS: I am using my late mother's Facebook account due to the difficulty of changing identities on Facebook. She has yet to complain.
Northeast Rep Snowball
hiboby1998
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2012, 12:16:48 pm »
Ignore

I have no sympathy for the fatties.  They should amend the rules to allow multiple servings for athletes, however, which seem to be a lot of the complaints.

Serious question - by dismissing the personal freedoms-based concerns as frivolous and politically-motivated - and ignoring the issue - are we overlooking a legitimate concern about child hunger?
I think it depends on the ban on bringing lunches, I agree with the idea of providing more food for athletes, and the ban on bringing lunches in I will reject immediatly, considering allergies and such. The problem is most of the people throw-out some of their food then complain about hunger, which is the dumbest thing i've heard in a while.

Sbane
sbane
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2012, 12:24:39 pm »
Ignore

I have no sympathy for the fatties.  They should amend the rules to allow multiple servings for athletes, however, which seem to be a lot of the complaints.

If the child is getting most of their nutrition from that one meal, then yes it is a concern. Otherwise 850 calories are way more than enough if you are leading the lifestyle that the vast majority of kids are. Childhood obesity is a much, much bigger problem in America than childhood hunger. I won't minimize the latter problem but let's keep things in perspective.

They call me PR
Progressive Realist
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2012, 12:27:32 pm »
Ignore

They're called freedom fries, not freedom carrots.
Northeast Rep Snowball
hiboby1998
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2012, 12:36:37 pm »
Ignore

If the child is getting most of their nutrition from that one meal, then yes it is a concern. Otherwise 850 calories are way more than enough if you are leading the lifestyle that the vast majority of kids are. Childhood obesity is a much, much bigger problem in America than childhood hunger. I won't minimize the latter problem but let's keep things in perspective.

Yes, but if anychild if starving it doesn't work as a program, but noone Should starve, so I do support it.

АverroŽs Nix
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2012, 12:37:22 pm »
Ignore

Of course - nationwide, childhood malnutrition and obesity are more common, more expensive problems. But I know from personal experience that hunger remains an issue for many families, and until other policy responses are politically workable, I will have mixed feelings about limiting the size of school lunches.

PS: I am using my late mother's Facebook account due to the difficulty of changing identities on Facebook. She has yet to complain.
Sbane
sbane
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2012, 12:38:12 pm »
Ignore

Don't they get food stamps though?
Duke
AHDuke99
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2012, 12:38:26 pm »
Ignore

This shouldn't be an issue. Are people so helpless these days that the state has to provide them a proper diet and ban them from bringing bagged lunches? What a sad state we are in if that's the case.
Northeast Rep Snowball
hiboby1998
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2012, 03:45:15 pm »
Ignore

The problem is that it Is an issue, and pointing out how dumb of an issue it is shows why we have to fix it.

old timey villain
cope1989
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2012, 04:26:10 pm »
Ignore

I think I can explain this in a way that is palatable to conservatives.

Poor people have subsidized grocery money in the form of food stamps. They are being entrusted with that money, so they are also expected to follow guidelines and actually buy healthy food instead of beer and cigarettes. Sound right?

Children are also eating heavily subsidized lunches at school everyday. So if the government is paying to feed them, shouldn't the students also be required to eat food that follows standard nutrition guidelines?

Bottom line, don't complain about your freedom to eat junkfood if you want the government to subsidize your junkfood.

But hey, let's keep it in perspective, folks! I thought Romney and the GOP wanted this campaign to be about big issues and big ideas! Is that what they actually care about most these days?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 04:30:43 pm by cope1989 »Logged

Can't we all just get along?
bgwah
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2012, 12:30:39 am »
Ignore

Hey look, those clever kids made another video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o99C0ezXIQ

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout