All living presidents running against each other...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 05:41:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  All living presidents running against each other...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who would you vote for?
Gerald Ford / Bob Dole
Jimmy Carter / Walter Mondale
George H. W. Bush / Dan Quayle
Bill Clinton / Al Gore
George W. Bush / Dick Cheney
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: All living presidents running against each other...  (Read 3215 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 28, 2005, 03:19:43 PM »
« edited: January 29, 2005, 06:33:06 AM by Old Europe »

Since Nelson Rockefeller is deceased, I decided to pick 1976 vice presidential nominee Bob Dole as Fordīs running mate.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 03:28:01 PM »

Clinton/Gore.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 03:30:43 PM »

Dubya, or Reagan's corpse
George W. Bush
eversole_Adam

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 03:50:07 PM »

George W, With Ford/Dole being a very close runner up.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 05:28:24 PM »

Clinton/Gore, followed by Ford/Dole.
skybridge
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2005, 05:41:17 PM »

Clinton/Gore
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2005, 07:00:39 PM »

I vote Clinton/Gore and realistically think they would easily win.  Neither Ford or Carter are going to get many votes and the Bush's will split the GOP.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2005, 07:16:33 PM »

Ford/Dole in a heartbeat.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2005, 07:32:22 PM »

Clinton
zachman

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2005, 07:51:33 PM »

I narrowly picked Clinton/Gore over Ford/Dole, just because I feel that Ford is dying and I don't trust Dole.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2005, 09:39:16 PM »

Clinton/Gore
RJ
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2005, 12:23:03 AM »

Not a hard call here---Clinton/Gore.

I have to say, I'm a little surprised. When I viewed the results, Clinton had 19 votes while the others combined only had about 14 between all of them. When Clinton was elected to his second term, I figured he was one of the less popular two term presidents. There is little question in my mind after the initial stages of Iraq it was W. Bush if he were reelected(I didn't think he could pull it off)

Turns out Clinton was a lot more popular than I thought. I will say I think Clinton is the most impressive speaker of any of the choices. I'd always wondered something. How would big Bill fare in an election against Reagan? I had always considered Reagan untouchable and he would beat Clinton in the electoral college by about a 3-2 margin and by 3-5% in the popular vote column. I'm not 100% sure ever since I started taking an interest in politics more a couple of years ago.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2005, 12:59:56 AM »

I have to say, I'm a little surprised. When I viewed the results, Clinton had 19 votes while the others combined only had about 14 between all of them. When Clinton was elected to his second term, I figured he was one of the less popular two term presidents. There is little question in my mind after the initial stages of Iraq it was W. Bush if he were reelected(I didn't think he could pull it off)

Turns out Clinton was a lot more popular than I thought. I will say I think Clinton is the most impressive speaker of any of the choices. I'd always wondered something. How would big Bill fare in an election against Reagan? I had always considered Reagan untouchable and he would beat Clinton in the electoral college by about a 3-2 margin and by 3-5% in the popular vote column. I'm not 100% sure ever since I started taking an interest in politics more a couple of years ago.

Pre Iran-Contra vs Pre Monica Reagan wins

Post iran Contra vs Post Monica  Clinton wins.  Keep in mind that Reagan's approval was never the same after the whole Iran-Contra scandal broke out.  Clinton left office with approval around 65, 66%
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2005, 01:26:49 AM »

1) Clinton/Gore
2) Ford/Dole
3) W Bush/Cheney
4) HW Bush/Quayle
5) Carter/Mondale
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2005, 01:32:57 AM »

Post iran Contra vs Post Monica  Clinton wins.  Keep in mind that Reagan's approval was never the same after the whole Iran-Contra scandal broke out.  Clinton left office with approval around 65, 66%

Yeah, but who are the people approving of both going to prefer?
Cashcow

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2005, 01:36:10 AM »

Clinton > Ford > Carter ~ GHWB > GWB
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2005, 01:44:11 AM »

Yeah, but who are the people approving of both going to prefer?

Clinton.  Iran-Contra hurt reagan more than Monica hurt Clinton
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2005, 01:46:37 AM »

You can't cite approval ratings as an indication of what the people who approve of both prefer.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2005, 02:26:02 AM »

You can't cite approval ratings as an indication of what the people who approve of both prefer.

Granted, but the point I was making is Clinton is at an advantage because his approval ratings were better.  Those that approve both may be split or even lean towards Reagan,  but in order to make up the approval difference, Reagan would need to get the vast majority of those who approved of both.  by the way when I'm tralking about approval I'm talking about approval in general over the last 2-3 years of their 2nd term.  It would be a pretty close race, (probably somewhere in between 2000 & 2004) but I think Clinton would win
skybridge
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2005, 06:49:50 AM »

Reagan narrowly lost to Ford in 1976. Clinton never lost to anybody. However, as in both Clinton elections, a relatively strong third candidate would probably have to enter the race.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2005, 07:09:55 AM »

1) Clinton/Gore
2) Carter/Mondale
3) Ford/Dole
Bushes not ranked.
Harry
Atlas Superstar