Police shoot and kill a puppy for no reason
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:46:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Police shoot and kill a puppy for no reason
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Police shoot and kill a puppy for no reason  (Read 413 times)
Mister Twister

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 02, 2012, 11:11:42 PM »

http://wcrz.com/police-officer-shoots-family-puppy-community-wants-justice-video/
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 11:58:08 PM »

Well that's... bizarre.

I'd like to know why the officer was there and what was he thinking when he decided to shoot the animal.
Mister Twister

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 12:03:03 AM »

The puppy was shot MULTIPLE times before it died at the hospital. The police officer needs to be given the death penalty as far I'm concerned.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 12:25:35 AM »

Someone has "police" and "no reason" permanently stuck in their Google search bar.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 03:36:28 AM »

The puppy was shot MULTIPLE times before it died at the hospital. The police officer needs to be given the death penalty as far I'm concerned.

What the flying . This is the stupidest thing I've ever read on this board.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 05:25:13 AM »

This is one of the most bizarre threads I've ever seen
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 06:42:51 AM »

1. An 8 year old dog is not a puppy. (age stated in the video in the article) It was a golden retriever, so it's a medium sized dog. I get that you don't like the police, but please at least get your facts straight.

2. If the dog did attack the officer then it's not 'no reason'. Given the size of the dog and the number of shots fired (seven, but with only two hits) it's likely it was a panic reaction, not a calculated one.

Here's the police report, btw - http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/wnem/WNEM/Police%20Report%20Dog%20Shooting.pdf

3. If the officer's account is at all true, then he still made some poor decisions. Police officers are not equipped to deal with animals - too often we forget that dogs are animals and do not always react rationally. Once the dog was contained in the back yard of the residence this occurred at he should have made effort to notify the residents about the dog so they would stay inside or claim ownership and then call animal control if they were not the owners. At the very least he should have had his pepper spray in hand when approaching the dog as he could not be sure if the dog would be friendly to him or not. This poor decision making probably stems from lack of training and procedure in dealing with this kind of situation.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 06:50:00 AM »

You'd never think a dog in an unfamiliar situation, cornered by a stranger ... would react strangely...

If he was genuinely concerned, all he had to do was disable it... not shoot it multiple times...

What the flying . This is the stupidest thing I've ever read on this board.

FTR, I don't endorse the conclusion.. but I do think excessive force or cruelty to animals is criminally under-punished.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 07:56:41 AM »

wait wait wait...the "puppy" was 8?  The OP needs to find a freaking dictionary.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 08:24:55 AM »

Yeah, eight years old isn't a freaking puppy.  Sh*t, for a dog that size it's probably old enough to collect Social Security.

But, before you read this and burst a blood vessel, I do agree.  This was an uber rookie mistake and at the very least the cop in question should've been suspended.  What is really disturbing to me in this instance is how the Police Department has come out in defense of this guy, instead of admitting it was a screwup.  Frankly, I think they need to fire a few captains.  Of course saying "THEY NEED TO BE SHOT!" is kind of hyperbole.
According to the Police Report the dog was running after the guy and trying to bite him.  Granted, the Officer probably had a panic reaction but I figured that given how loud and scary guns are he could've at least just shot a few rounds into the air to see if that scared the dog away.  Unless you are facing GodDog who is afraid of nothing (which, this being a Golden Retriever I severely doubt) the sound of loud gunshots should scare most anything.
Really though, this just hammers in the need for effective training when dealing with possible hostile animals (yes pretty much what Dibble said).
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 11:20:58 AM »

There's a guy who tracks stories of police who shoot dogs.

http://www.theagitator.com/?s=puppycide
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 02:19:19 PM »

Wow. At first I thought this was a parody.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 02:54:43 PM »

Why is this even a thread?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies