Minnesota gubernatorial election, 1998 (Runoff)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:49:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Minnesota gubernatorial election, 1998 (Runoff)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
Jesse Ventura (Reform)

Hubert Humphrey III (Democratic)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Minnesota gubernatorial election, 1998 (Runoff)  (Read 399 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 26, 2012, 11:25:14 AM »

Three days.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 12:50:22 PM »

Jesse Ventura!
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 04:47:59 PM »

The one who's actually known for something other than being related to a failed Presidential candidate.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 05:10:25 PM »

The one who's actually known for something other than being related to a failed Presidential candidate.
you mean being a loud star of a fake sport and B-movies?
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 05:19:00 PM »

Jesse Ventura. I like the guy.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 05:32:26 PM »

Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 05:52:56 PM »
« Edited: September 26, 2012, 05:55:57 PM by IDS Legislator SJoyceFla »

Yep. I'll take the wrestler over the dynastic heir any day. For instance, in Florida, apparently there's a lot of talk about Anthony Kennedy Shriver running for governor. If someone was extremely in-tune with Florida politics, all anyone would know is that he's an advocate in Miami, and that's about it, because he has done nothing (politically), and yet he's getting mentioned as a candidate just because of his family name. It's really kinda sickening.
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 06:42:06 PM »

Yep. I'll take the wrestler over the dynastic heir any day. For instance, in Florida, apparently there's a lot of talk about Anthony Kennedy Shriver running for governor. If someone was extremely in-tune with Florida politics, all anyone would know is that he's an advocate in Miami, and that's about it, because he has done nothing (politically), and yet he's getting mentioned as a candidate just because of his family name. It's really kinda sickening.

HHH3 has a bigger claim to fame than that. He was the incumbent four-term state Attorney General and a ten-year State Senator prior to that. It's not like he was a political nobody when he ran for governor, like Ventura was.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 06:58:16 PM »

HHH3 has a bigger claim to fame than that. He was the incumbent four-term state Attorney General and a ten-year State Senator prior to that. It's not like he was a political nobody when he ran for governor, like Ventura was.

And would he be a State Senator if his name was Hubert Johnson?
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 07:19:01 PM »

I see no reason why he wouldn't be, provided that his politics resonated with the voters in his district. In any case that's beside the point- you're equating someone who had a quarter century of experience in state government (Humphrey) with someone with no experience whatsoever (Kennedy Shriver) solely on the basis of his name, and using that logic to justify your preference for an inexperienced candidate over someone who is more qualified.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 07:33:24 PM »

I see no reason why he wouldn't be, provided that his politics resonated with the voters in his district. In any case that's beside the point- you're equating someone who had a quarter century of experience in state government (Humphrey) with someone with no experience whatsoever (Kennedy Shriver) solely on the basis of his name, and using that logic to justify your preference for an inexperienced candidate over someone who is more qualified.

The point is that undoubtedly Humphrey gained a major boost simply because he is Humphrey and not Johnson or Jones or Smith. I am not a fan of perpetuating dynasties and vote against them.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 08:02:45 PM »

Ventura.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 08:15:14 PM »

The point is that undoubtedly Humphrey gained a major boost simply because he is Humphrey and not Johnson or Jones or Smith. I am not a fan of perpetuating dynasties and vote against them.

You're one of those libertarian types, right? If you lived in Kentucky, would you vote for Rand Paul?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 08:23:57 PM »

You're one of those libertarian types, right? If you lived in Kentucky, would you vote for Rand Paul?

A dynasty of two?
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 08:39:13 PM »

A dynasty of two?

You mean like Hubert Humphrey Jr. and Hubert Humphrey III? I suppose if you want to be technical, you could count Muriel, but that's a bit of a stretch (she only finished her husband's term and didn't run for reelection), and I'll concede that HH2 was more important than Ron Paul is, but the concept still applies.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 08:45:53 PM »

A dynasty of two?

You mean like Hubert Humphrey Jr. and Hubert Humphrey III? I suppose if you want to be technical, you could count Muriel, but that's a bit of a stretch (she only finished her husband's term and didn't run for reelection), and I'll concede that HH2 was more important than Ron Paul is, but the concept still applies.

Other point: same state. Ron doesn't exactly have the same pull on Kentucky that Humphrey does on the state he actually represented. Any boost from Humphrey is going to be much larger than the Paul boost, simply due to having two Senator Humphreys representing your state in one scenario and having nobody who's ever lived in your state for the latter.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 08:57:03 PM »

Other point: same state. Ron doesn't exactly have the same pull on Kentucky that Humphrey does on the state he actually represented. Any boost from Humphrey is going to be much larger than the Paul boost, simply due to having two Senator Humphreys representing your state in one scenario and having nobody who's ever lived in your state for the latter.

Let's say for the sake of argument that Rand ran in Texas instead of Kentucky. Would you support him?

Better yet, let's say that Rand becomes the Republican vice-presidential nominee in 2016, and the Republican ticket wins. Then a few years later, his son runs for office in Kentucky. Would you support him (assuming he had similar political views)?

The point I'm trying to make is that one shouldn't penalize a candidate just because that candidate comes from a political family. Of course, one shouldn't reward a candidate for that reason, either. One should vote based the candidates' qualifications and positions on the issues.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 09:41:40 PM »

Humphrey!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies