Even If It Takes a Bloodbath, 1968- (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:52:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Even If It Takes a Bloodbath, 1968- (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Even If It Takes a Bloodbath, 1968-  (Read 4653 times)
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« on: September 27, 2012, 07:52:56 PM »

I have a bad feeling about the title. Reminds me of a comment someone made in Historico's "Ronnie in '68" timeline, about Reagan wanting "war on America's campuses". Tongue Nonetheless, very interesting to see where this goes.

This.  Also Kissinger for SecState would be awesome!  Or even Nixon?  Reagan would probably want to give him something, maybe SecState, Ambassador to UN, Ambassador to China (coolness), or maybe even Chief Justice!  That would be something.

Anyway keep up the good work man!
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 03:56:06 PM »

Even If It Takes a Bloodbath.

"These so-called "peace rallies" across America have been a haven for negroes, sex deviants, communist sympathizers, and godless students only interested in chaos. My Administration will restore order to this great country, even if it takes a bloodbath. No more appeasement."
- President-elect Ronald Reagan. November 26th, 1968.

(Reserved for later use.)
Reagan initially supported the 1964 Civil Rights Act and said he believed it "should be enforced at gunpoint if necessary."  He was not a racist, regardless of whatever liberals may say.
Errr...no, he opposed the civil rights act of 1964, at least in every single source I've found.  It was on bullsh*t "state's rights" grounds.  And he campaigned with Strom Thurmond (who never renounced his own racism) and opposed sanctions on apartheid South Africa.  Oh, and he also called Mandela a terrorist. 

Well I'm not sure about the Civil Rights Act, but Strom renounced his racism towards the end.  He remained unapologetic for his earlier views though, saying that "at the time the nation wasn't ready" or some such thing.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 04:22:29 PM »

Considering that Reagan began his 1980 campaign near the site of the murder of civil rights workers with a speech about "states right", I think this portrayal of him 12 years earlier when it was a lot easier to get away with this stuff is completely fair.

I agree.  I was just responding about Strom - there might be 10 people in the country who are against the VRA or CRA, but it seems Reagan seemed to out-racist Nixon and Wallace without ever coming across as being racist by being more pragmatic about it.  He'll probably slow civil rights down as much as possible but some in his party might force his hand.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies