Obama surging among Catholics
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:37:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Obama surging among Catholics
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Obama surging among Catholics  (Read 1648 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 28, 2012, 02:34:36 AM »
« edited: September 28, 2012, 03:40:53 AM by NV-POS (R) »

http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com/2012/09/catholics-flee-romney-ryan-dolan.html

Obama leads 54-39, up from 49-47 in June.

Among white Catholics only, he's tied with Romney.  However, that's still an improvement on 2008 when McCain won that demographic 52-47.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 03:48:33 AM »

Evidently these Catholics are not aware that Obama is waging a war against them bent on the ultimate goal of destroying all religion?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 04:03:13 AM »

Evidently these Catholics are not aware that Obama is waging a war against them bent on the ultimate goal of destroying all religion?

We've been brainwashed by the liberal media.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 04:07:07 AM »

We've been brainwashed by the liberal media.

It's Lie-beral media Franzl. Lie-beral. Unless you're part of the Muslim Brotherhood too Angry
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 04:08:09 AM »

Bishop Thomas Paprocki of the diocese of Springfield, IL, is just as concerned.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 04:12:27 AM »

You'd think that people who believe in social justice would support a 'every man for himself' agenda...the wonders never cease.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 04:24:00 AM »

Bishop Thomas Paprocki of the diocese of Springfield, IL, is just as concerned.

I would be concerned too if I was named Paprocki.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 06:28:21 AM »

Some of them probably realized his opponent is a Mormon.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 04:59:00 PM »
« Edited: September 28, 2012, 05:00:44 PM by Ben Kenobi »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Let's see. Vote for the pro abortion pro gay marriage Muslim or for the pro abortion pro gay marriage Mormon?

What a thrilling election. Sad

We've been having this discussion at my workplace - lots of conservative Catholics there. We all feel that our last chance for a decent candidate was Santorum, and since he's out - lots of folks choosing to stay home.

Everyone is hunkering down for the next 4 years because we know it's going to suck, but Texas should weather the storm.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 09:09:35 PM »

Let's see. Vote for the pro abortion pro gay marriage Muslim or for the pro abortion pro gay marriage Mormon?

Perhaps it's the Virgil Goode banner, but I honestly can't tell if you meant that seriously or not.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 09:21:38 PM »

http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com/2012/09/catholics-flee-romney-ryan-dolan.html

Obama leads 54-39, up from 49-47 in June.

Among white Catholics only, he's tied with Romney.  However, that's still an improvement on 2008 when McCain won that demographic 52-47.

Any marginal gain in a reputable group of people  is good for a politician in a close election . Well, it was a close election until this week but could be again.

Would anyone have expected a largely-liberal incumbent who keeps his religious beliefs to himself could win in part because his opponent seems to hold an ultra-secular ideology? The Catholic Church may be reactionary on sexuality, but it is quite liberal on economics, race relations, and foreign policy.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 11:41:38 AM »

Perhaps it's the Virgil Goode banner, but I honestly can't tell if you meant that seriously or not.

There was a thread a couple of weeks back in which he was fairly insistent about the point, but then trolling is trolling so who knows?
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 12:08:08 PM »

Most Christians I know would change their name to something that's Christian - not Muslim.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 12:18:02 PM »

Enough said.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 12:37:17 PM »

Most Christians I know would change their name to something that's Christian - not Muslim.

Perhaps you should expose yourself to more than just narrow-minded conservative Catholics...
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 12:40:40 PM »

Everyone is hunkering down for the next 4 years because we know it's going to suck, but Texas should weather the storm.

Haha, you should prepare to hide in the attic of an Hispanic family!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2012, 12:46:31 PM »

Well I for one find it impossible to quarrel with such a logically sound and brilliantly put argument.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2012, 12:53:58 PM »

Well I for one find it impossible to quarrel with such a logically sound and brilliantly put argument.

How long until you learn to use the post quote function?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2012, 01:13:52 PM »

Ah, I no longer bother with learning anything.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2012, 02:13:01 PM »

I *am* a convert. My family isn't Catholic at all - they are Obama worshippers. I'm also the only one with a college degree. Wink
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2012, 02:15:27 PM »
« Edited: September 29, 2012, 02:17:27 PM by Ben Kenobi »

FTFY.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2012, 02:54:13 PM »
« Edited: September 29, 2012, 02:56:22 PM by Mitt Montgomery Burns »

Ah, I no longer bother with learning anything.

Ooh...errr...oops. That was meant for our Texan friend. I suppose I'd be in the Irony Ore Mine now if it hadn't been wisely locked.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2012, 03:10:33 PM »
« Edited: September 29, 2012, 03:16:40 PM by Madisonian for Mittens! »

What a thrilling election. Sad

We've been having this discussion at my workplace - lots of conservative Catholics there. We all feel that our last chance for a decent candidate was Santorum, and since he's out - lots of folks choosing to stay home.

Ben does have good point minus the part about Obama being a Muslim, there are a lot of conservative Catholic out there sufficiently dissatisfied about both parties not to vote at all or to vote for a random third party candidate. I meet Catholics sometimes who are against Romney for the 47% stuff or that he supports abortion or gay marriage, against Obama for abortion/gay marriage/the contraceptive mandate/etc and then tell me they're going to vote for Jill Stein Tongue (Just another reminder that most people know nothing about politics). Or I'll meet people who tell me they're voting for Gary Johnson not because they agree with him on anything but because he's the third party candidate with the best chance and they are fed up with both parties. I haven't met anyone supporting Virgil Goode yet, but I'm sure they exist too.

Granted, I doubt that's the main reason for Obama's polling improvement among Catholics. Most of it is probably over economics. Remember a lot of Catholics are in that 47% and are just as offended (or more) by that than by Obama attempting to change the Church's teaching on birth control in a war of attrition. Also keep in mind most Catholics don't follow the Church's teachings on artificial contraception. Heck, most probably don't even understand it. I was never taught contraceptives were wrong growing up. I wasn't taught they were okay either; it was never mentioned at all. To expect that to drive the Catholic vote is probably a bit much to ask since abortion, which is still a far bigger issue didn't, never really did beyond some marginal way.

All of this being what it is, I still maintain that I have some moral responsibility to vote for Mitt Romney because he is by far the best of bad options. If I were to hold out for someone who supports Catholic teachings on every issue imaginable, I'd never be able to vote at all. I do not believe if elected president Mitt Romney would actually gut the government half as much as the GOP's current rhetoric calls for; remember he too is an opportunist in connect with how unpopular deep cuts would be. Not to mention the Democrats would filibuster to no end in the Senate. Mitt's never been one to stick his neck out too far; it's not in his character. He's a non-ideological beaurocrat who will take on the positions need to make it work. His chameleon like tendencies will never be endearing but they can be used to achieve a particular ends. Whether or not Mitt did the exact same thing in Massachusetts, he would very likely end the contraceptive mandate in ACA/ObamaCare/Whatever-the-heck-you-want-to-call-it. Why? It's not because he cares much one way or the other, but because the people who got him elected care. Likewise, Mitt Romney probably doesn't even have an opinion on abortion, but I am pretty certain whatever opinion he doesn't have will end up being far more pro-life that Obama. NARAL and Planned Parenthood are working to get Obama re-elected for a reason. They don't want to see a President Romney. That ought to tell you something.

Ben, the next 4 years is only the beginning.

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2012, 03:24:02 PM »

Barack Obama was born with the same name that he currently has, you see.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2012, 03:43:36 PM »

Madisonian -

The trouble is that Romney's done the exact same thing as Obama. 4 more years and he's gone and we can replace him with someone else. If Romney wins - we won't ever have another conservative. And that's a worse outcome than 4 years of Obama.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies