Possible Terrorist Attack in Britain Stopped
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:03:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Possible Terrorist Attack in Britain Stopped
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Possible Terrorist Attack in Britain Stopped  (Read 3276 times)
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 30, 2004, 04:09:15 PM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/3584009.stm

pretty scary stuff, assumedly would attack London *shudders*
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004, 04:27:11 PM »

Also the Philippines

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040330/325/epurs.html

All US allies will be attacked now that Spain proved spineless.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2004, 04:52:30 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2004, 04:54:47 PM by Michael Z »

Also the Philippines

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040330/325/epurs.html

All US allies will be attacked now that Spain proved spineless.

All US allies will be attacked regardless. Do you really think the Spanish election result made a difference? And please don't skewer the truth, the Spanish government was kicked out because they played politics with the Madrid bombing by blaming ETA even when it became clear Al-Qaeda was responsible. There was a lot of justified anger with the way Aznar conducted himself after the tragedy.

Anyway, obviously this foiled plot is all over the news at the moment. All I can say at the moment is, Phew.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2004, 04:55:15 PM »

Yay! Smiley I agree with Mike, that the terrorists wouldn't have packed their bags if the Spanish would've kept the PP in power. Good too see democracy win a round.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2004, 05:26:13 PM »

All US allies will be attacked regardless. Do you really think the Spanish election result made a difference?

I certainly believe the terrorists were greatly please with Spain's response.  After all, the attacks were timed to influence the election.  The terrorists can only view it as a complete success.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2004, 05:41:07 PM »

How is it spineless for the people to vote out of office a government that had acted against the will of the people? When you decide to support a war that is highly unpopular in your country, that's the risk that you take as the leader of a nation.

By that criteria, the American people were spineless in electing Reagan in 1980, as the taking of the hostages by Iran could be viewed as a deliberate attempt to influence the U.S. election. After all, Carter had brokered peace between Israel and Egypt, and thus probably wasn't too popular in the eyes of many Muslims at this time.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2004, 06:07:09 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2004, 06:09:59 PM by jmfcst »

By that criteria, the American people were spineless in electing Reagan in 1980, as the taking of the hostages by Iran could be viewed as a deliberate attempt to influence the U.S. election.

Carter was thrown out because he was viewed as weak on defense, basically he wasn't aggressive enough.  Therefore, the 1980 American response was OPPOSITE of Spain's.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2004, 06:13:39 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2004, 06:14:53 PM by jmfcst »

"We declare our responsibility for what occurred in Madrid, just 2.5 years after the attacks in New York and Washington. It is a response to your collaboration with the criminals (U.S. President) Bush and his allies.

"This is a response to the crimes that you have caused in the world and specifically in Iraq and in Afghanistan. And there will be more, God willing.

"You love life and we love death which gives you an example of what the prophet Mohammed said that if you do not stop your injustices, the blood will flow more and more, and these attacks will seem very small with what could occur with what you call terrorism.

"This is a message from the military spokesman for al Qaeda in Europe."
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2004, 05:40:12 PM »

Well, I would think that the capture of the hostages was a big factor in Carter's defeat. It certainly wasn't the only reason, but likewise the terrorist attacks in Spain certainly weren't the only reason that the incumbent party lost, either. And as I said, the hostage capture could have been construed as an attempt to influence the U.S. elections, in response to Carter's brokering a peace deal between Israel and Egypt, especially since the hostages were released the day that Reagan took office. Maybe that was just a coincidence, but there's only a 1/365 chance...

I realize it's not a perfect comparison (comparisons never are) but it's completely unfair to not expect that terrorist attacks against a nation which are influenced by the unpopular actions of the government of that nation will cause the candidate to lose. Likewise, even though the hostage capture wasn't directly Carter's fault, it was still fair to expect it to hurt him.

The Spanish reaction was not the opposite; in both cases the party in power was punished for what were perceived as poor foreign policy decisions in the eyes of the voters. That's not spineless, that's the way demmocracy works--incumbents are responsible for their record and their actions.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2004, 08:51:05 PM »

"God Save the Queen"

"Ol' Britania, Britania rules the seas"

Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2004, 07:21:35 AM »

London? Strange choice. I'd have gone for Bradford or Burnley.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2004, 08:17:15 AM »

And Bush and Blair may have helped stop that possible attack.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2004, 09:34:51 AM »

why Bradford or Burnley? London is the most high scale target, the only reason for striking elsewhere is London is pretty well prepared, lots of extra firemen have been moved in from other areas.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2004, 10:15:06 AM »

Well, I would think that the capture of the hostages was a big factor in Carter's defeat. It certainly wasn't the only reason, but likewise the terrorist attacks in Spain certainly weren't the only reason that the incumbent party lost, either. And as I said, the hostage capture could have been construed as an attempt to influence the U.S. elections, in response to Carter's brokering a peace deal between Israel and Egypt, especially since the hostages were released the day that Reagan took office.

The US hostages were taken by a MOB during a revolution occurring a whole year before the 1980 elections.  Hardly a conspiracy to oust Carter!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2004, 11:14:21 AM »

why Bradford or Burnley? London is the most high scale target, the only reason for striking elsewhere is London is pretty well prepared, lots of extra firemen have been moved in from other areas.

Both have large Muslim populations and serious racial problems. Both are "off the radar" and would be suprising.
Look at Bali...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies