SENATE BILL: Right Wages for the Right Regions Act (On the President's Desk)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:48:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Right Wages for the Right Regions Act (On the President's Desk)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Right Wages for the Right Regions Act (On the President's Desk)  (Read 5891 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2012, 02:35:42 AM »

Friendly, of course.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2012, 01:36:12 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor Feedback: Friendly
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2012, 04:58:51 PM »

I'm not formally objecting. I'm not fond of it, but if I did object, it would still pass anyway. And then my options would either be to vote against the bill and against the minimum wage reduction (which I don't want to do), or to vote for the bill and accept this amendment, which would make me look stupid for objecting to it in the first place.

You people are sneaky buggers. Tongue
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2012, 06:13:41 PM »

I am still not hot on this bill but I would appreciate it if the Senate considers an amendment that guarantees tips and commissions do count toward an hourly wage minimum.

I'm pretty sure the President meant tips and commissions can be counted towards the minimum wage...I object to the amendment.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2012, 11:08:37 PM »

That is what I get for staying up all night and only managing 5 to 6 hours of sleep a day. Tongue

I withdraw the amendment.

I thought he was arguing that they shouldn't be used by businesses as a means of lowering the base rates below the level of the minimum wage.

Just a quick question though, if such was counted towards the minimum, wouldn't that mean a workers base wage would fluctuate on a weekly basis? If they got less this week in tips/commissions then the previous, it would still have to add up to equal the minimum, correct?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2012, 12:09:54 AM »

If someone could give me answer that would be most helpfull. Tongue
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2012, 02:26:41 AM »

The effect of a higher minimum wage does suggest that there would be more jobs in larger, more established companies that are better equipped to deal with high labor costs, and there are some regulations that impact small businesses negatively. However, Atlasian policies redistribute a considerable amount of wealth to small businesses from large corporations.  I'd say small businesses are a comparable or slightly larger share of the market in Atlasia as in RL.

What about the proportion of minimum wage workers? Wouldn't it be higher for small business than in RL?
It could be a little - I'm assunimg it would largely follow the comparative size of the market. Do you have any other thoughts?

Well as I said, since the minimum wage is so much higher then in the RL, it is likely that a lot of what about be higher than minimum wage jobs at $8, $9 and $10 dollars an hour would be caught up in that and thus included in a much large pool of minimum wage jobs at the new $12 minimum. The point was that 2/3rds of minimum wage earners work for large corporations in RL, but since the minimum wage is so much higher, my thoughts are that a lot of small businesses are higher than minimum wage in RL but not higher than $12 an hour and so it is probably likely that a much large proportion of minimum wage earners work for small biz in Atlasia than in RL.
Good point, but would this dynamic be much less the case for large businesses?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2012, 10:52:43 AM »

The effect of a higher minimum wage does suggest that there would be more jobs in larger, more established companies that are better equipped to deal with high labor costs, and there are some regulations that impact small businesses negatively. However, Atlasian policies redistribute a considerable amount of wealth to small businesses from large corporations.  I'd say small businesses are a comparable or slightly larger share of the market in Atlasia as in RL.

What about the proportion of minimum wage workers? Wouldn't it be higher for small business than in RL?
It could be a little - I'm assunimg it would largely follow the comparative size of the market. Do you have any other thoughts?

Well as I said, since the minimum wage is so much higher then in the RL, it is likely that a lot of what about be higher than minimum wage jobs at $8, $9 and $10 dollars an hour would be caught up in that and thus included in a much large pool of minimum wage jobs at the new $12 minimum. The point was that 2/3rds of minimum wage earners work for large corporations in RL, but since the minimum wage is so much higher, my thoughts are that a lot of small businesses are higher than minimum wage in RL but not higher than $12 an hour and so it is probably likely that a much large proportion of minimum wage earners work for small biz in Atlasia than in RL.

Wouldn't the smaller businesses have less carrying capacity for higher paid workers then larger ones? The larger ones minimize labor costs to maximize profit, but when they do, they can afford to pay certain people much higher amounts because they have larger revenues, easier access to credit, etc ec. Hmm, think of regulatory capture, the big businesses can afford the lobbyists, consultants and attorneys to get around and it it is the small ones that take hit, in that case it concentrates the market share in the larger company. In terms of labor mix, they can afford the high end, but prefer to keep as many on the low end as possible. Small businesses might be more generous in rewarding good workers with raises, but their financial limitations still keep them in a relatively low range. Thus when you plow the minimum wage up through that range, small business takes proportionally more of hit, then they do if you raised the RL rate to say $8.00 from where it is now.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2012, 11:00:17 AM »

If someone could give me answer that would be most helpfull. Tongue

No, what is done in real life is that there is a lower base pay, and if tips don't bring their hourly rate past the minimum wage, the employer pays the difference.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2012, 03:38:44 PM »

Wouldn't the smaller businesses have less carrying capacity for higher paid workers then larger ones? The larger ones minimize labor costs to maximize profit, but when they do, they can afford to pay certain people much higher amounts because they have larger revenues, easier access to credit, etc ec. Hmm, think of regulatory capture, the big businesses can afford the lobbyists, consultants and attorneys to get around and it it is the small ones that take hit, in that case it concentrates the market share in the larger company. In terms of labor mix, they can afford the high end, but prefer to keep as many on the low end as possible. Small businesses might be more generous in rewarding good workers with raises, but their financial limitations still keep them in a relatively low range. Thus when you plow the minimum wage up through that range, small business takes proportionally more of hit, then they do if you raised the RL rate to say $8.00 from where it is now.
Right, small businesses take more of a hit financially and so have a more diminished capacity in hiring and other aspects, but I don't see the connection between that and the other process you are describing. If there had been a smaller proportion of employees paid a few dollars above minimum wage in large corporations as opposed to small business, I would see the distinction, but I don't know if that's the case.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2012, 03:45:27 PM »

I am still not hot on this bill but I would appreciate it if the Senate considers an amendment that guarantees tips and commissions do count toward an hourly wage minimum.

I'm pretty sure the President meant tips and commissions can be counted towards the minimum wage...I object to the amendment.

I'm not really sure I understand why that is desirable..?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2012, 10:31:35 PM »

If restaurants can pay their employees less, they can hire more of them. This way we can ensure they at least get the minimum wage and we create more jobs.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2012, 12:58:11 AM »

The only question I have now is whether Nappy intended to force them to count or allow them to do so. It is the different between "shall" or "may" above.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2012, 11:11:23 AM »

No response in twelve hours, this may be good enough for some legisltures, BUT IT IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE ATLASIAN SENATE!!! Tongue

I was overdo for a Band of Brothers reference. Wink
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2012, 07:24:51 PM »

I'm not exactly sure what you're waiting on, Yankee. Is that a formal proposal for an amendment, because you should say so if it is.. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2012, 12:47:25 AM »

And man who doesn't know what he is talking about, automatically assumes that is someone else who doesn't rather than him. Classy Marokai. Tongue

I am waiting to know if that text is satisfactory, no it isn't a proposed amendment until I know for sure.

I should know whether it is or not, I am the one who harped on the distinction as a way to avoid LONG AND POINTLESS VOTES if possible, and unlike some people I don't forget the things I create when I go to use them, like someone did, many times over. Tongue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2012, 01:45:20 AM »

I have no problem with the language at least.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2012, 12:41:52 AM »
« Edited: October 11, 2012, 12:52:12 AM by President Napoleon »

I want to prohibit tips and commissions from being counted toward a minimum wage...I made a typo in my first post, but I will not sign the bill with this amendment being added, that allows that to happen. Sorry.

If restaurants can pay their employees less, they can hire more of them. This way we can ensure they at least get the minimum wage and we create more jobs.

While the scope of this amendment would affect more than just restaurants, the food service industry would certainly be the most impacted, I believe, and the thing is, restaurants tend to hire enough people to serve their clientele, but they won't usually have extra people there to stand around even if they could afford it (restaurant activity peaks and lulls at various points throughout the day), so my estimate is that the job market would remain static but that employees would benefit.

Keep in mind, how much people tip varies wildly depending on location.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2012, 01:02:48 AM »

So I was right, somehow, the first time when I misread your typoed post. Tongue

Now I just have to find a way to reverse the withdrawal.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2012, 01:03:52 AM »

I am just going to treat it as a new amendment.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2012, 11:43:09 AM »

I object.

Theoretically speaking, this new text could potentially come as an $8/hr wage hike. For employers who've been running their restaurants with less wage-related expenditures, this hike could mean serious restructuring.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2012, 12:22:01 AM »

Status: Objection Entered by Senator Hagrid, Senators the above amendment is now at vote, please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain. 
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2012, 03:15:30 AM »

Aye
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix