SENATE BILL: Right Wages for the Right Regions Act (On the President's Desk) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:36:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Right Wages for the Right Regions Act (On the President's Desk) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Right Wages for the Right Regions Act (On the President's Desk)  (Read 5900 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« on: September 29, 2012, 04:35:24 AM »

Simply put, I think my vote on the Living Wage Act was a mistake and that 12.00 is too high of a wage for each region as a minimum. I encourage the highest wages for as many people as possible, but I have serious concerns about the effects a 12.00 wage could have on business and job growth. 10.50 is a wage I support having as the national minimum, and is relatively generous, and so I think regions should probably be given the free choice of whether or not they would like to lower it anywhere down to 10.50 if they worry about their economies.

I'd enjoy Shua's imput, just as additional advice, on his thoughts on job and business growth since we implemented the 12.00 minimum.

I'd also be open to requiring the 12.00 wage for businesses that are a certain size, (like big chains who clearly have the capital to support large operations), but I really think regions should get the second opinion on the 12.00 minimum if they desire to. It was a bit of a misstep that I regret, frankly.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 05:54:12 PM »

I proposed two "right wing" bills out of a lot more than two. That's not really outrageous. Tongue

A 10.50 wage is still a very solid minimum, and this bill wouldn't lower the wage, merely allow regions to lower it back to the first increase of the Living Wage bill if they felt it would be good for their economies to do so. I just can't imagine a small business in the rural south is going to be able to afford many employees at a 12.00 minimum; you could argue that's a good thing ("development should go back to the cities where it belongs") but to nearly increase the minimum wage 50% from what it was before the Living Wage act just to now, feels like an incredible increase. Perhaps we can raise the minimum to 12.00 again in a few years, but businesses need time to adjust.

If you're only willing to vote in favor of the bill if it's amended for the 12.00 wage to only affect larger chains, I can settle for that.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 10:19:32 PM »

I think there should be some minimum wage exemptions for small businesses that can't afford it, but I don't see how large corporations like McDonalds are negatively impacted by it.  I will not support the bill in its current form.

I'm also a bit surprised at how Marokai is proposing all this right-wing legislation, but I digress.

I agree. (To the left of Marokai on something! Amazing Smiley)
An amendment regarding this should be introduced.

I will, however, support thos legislation whether or not it passes, as it is fundamentally a good idea.

I'm not a right winger. Really. Sad

I'm willing to consider an amendment like this but I also don't think we should ensure people can live comfortable lives solely through a high minimum wage. It creates a larger burden on the entire economy when people can be taken care of through generous social programs more effectively and done in a more targeted manner which doesn't have nearly as much pressure on job growth. I strongly think we should lower the federal minimum back to 10.50 and consider other appropriate ways to reduce the cost of living for the lower and middle class as opposed to just raising and raising the minimum wage.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 02:35:42 AM »

Friendly, of course.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 03:45:27 PM »

I am still not hot on this bill but I would appreciate it if the Senate considers an amendment that guarantees tips and commissions do count toward an hourly wage minimum.

I'm pretty sure the President meant tips and commissions can be counted towards the minimum wage...I object to the amendment.

I'm not really sure I understand why that is desirable..?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 07:24:51 PM »

I'm not exactly sure what you're waiting on, Yankee. Is that a formal proposal for an amendment, because you should say so if it is.. Tongue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 01:45:20 AM »

I have no problem with the language at least.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 04:55:37 PM »

Whoa whoa whoa, I was friendly to the apparently misunderstood version of that amendment, not to the amendment we're now voting on. I do not favor restricting employers from counting tips toward the minimum wage; they should be free to do so.

Nay.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 11:43:13 PM »

I encourage the VP to vote Nay.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 05:17:21 PM »

Sad I'm afraid I can't support this bill as it stands, then. We could try amending it again, I suppose?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 07:14:03 PM »

I say we actually just try and reverse the previous amendment outright. Why not give it a shot?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 12:27:47 AM »

I prefer the first option, but I would accept the latter if it would avoid a veto.. Tongue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 01:46:52 AM »

Aye.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 03:40:41 AM »

/sigh. You're doing this on purpose, aren't you.

I consider this law. Sue if you feel otherwise (the court may as well get the work anyway). I accepted the line-item veto amendment on the abortion law because I thought it was an innocent accident and we all wanted to come together to keep business moving. But on this one it's pretty obvious what you're doing. So I may as well play along this time.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies