SENATE BILL: Right Wages for the Right Regions Act (On the President's Desk) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:08:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Right Wages for the Right Regions Act (On the President's Desk) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Right Wages for the Right Regions Act (On the President's Desk)  (Read 5895 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: September 29, 2012, 12:54:51 AM »
« edited: November 10, 2012, 06:01:15 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Marokai Blue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 12:58:28 AM »

Well even Marokai can produce one or two worthwhile things every once and a while. I would hate to see anything bad happen to this, so I would recommend postign why this is a good idea within the next 24 hours. Evil Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 08:08:48 AM »

This is a small step in the direction I would like to see things go on these matters, so I support it.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 12:59:36 AM »

Napoleon, I don't get what your point is. I am not going to use boilerplate for the 24 hour requriement, because that would get boring. Plus harrassing Marokai is fun. Tongue

As for this proposal it is not a rejection of the Living Wage Act, just a different approach that will be less damaging to the economy and job creation. It also provides flexibility to the regions regarding wage policy and the ability to go under $12 an hour if the job situation requires it in a particular region. I think it is a step in the right direction. We still have an adequate minimum and we aren't putting too much weight on labor costs and thus driving down employment.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 12:49:24 AM »

Scott, I can't look at the link now, but you say that 2/3rds of the minimum wage jobs are offered by big corporations, correct? Is that data not from the RL US? A place that has a substantially lower minimum wage and thus likely, the data would be flawed to use it as justification for something that should be done here, where the minimum wage is 80% higher (rough guess, I am too busy to figure out the exact percentage Tongue).

2/3rds (or is this 3/4ths ) of all the jobs are created by small business and I doubt they are highering them all at $12+ wages. Most likely it is $8 to $10 in RL. Meaning they would all be offering these jobs at the minimum wage of $12, since that is lowest legal amount they can pay currently. I wouldn't be surprised if that 2/3rds of minimim wage jobs, has been flipped in Atlasia.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 01:56:14 AM »

The effect of a higher minimum wage does suggest that there would be more jobs in larger, more established companies that are better equipped to deal with high labor costs, and there are some regulations that impact small businesses negatively. However, Atlasian policies redistribute a considerable amount of wealth to small businesses from large corporations.  I'd say small businesses are a comparable or slightly larger share of the market in Atlasia as in RL.

What about the proportion of minimum wage workers? Wouldn't it be higher for small business than in RL?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 12:09:04 AM »

The effect of a higher minimum wage does suggest that there would be more jobs in larger, more established companies that are better equipped to deal with high labor costs, and there are some regulations that impact small businesses negatively. However, Atlasian policies redistribute a considerable amount of wealth to small businesses from large corporations.  I'd say small businesses are a comparable or slightly larger share of the market in Atlasia as in RL.

What about the proportion of minimum wage workers? Wouldn't it be higher for small business than in RL?
It could be a little - I'm assunimg it would largely follow the comparative size of the market. Do you have any other thoughts?

Well as I said, since the minimum wage is so much higher then in the RL, it is likely that a lot of what about be higher than minimum wage jobs at $8, $9 and $10 dollars an hour would be caught up in that and thus included in a much large pool of minimum wage jobs at the new $12 minimum. The point was that 2/3rds of minimum wage earners work for large corporations in RL, but since the minimum wage is so much higher, my thoughts are that a lot of small businesses are higher than minimum wage in RL but not higher than $12 an hour and so it is probably likely that a much large proportion of minimum wage earners work for small biz in Atlasia than in RL.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 02:16:46 AM »

Is this text satisfactory? What does the bill sponsor think?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 01:36:12 AM »

Quote from: Restricted

Sponsor Feedback: Friendly
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 11:08:37 PM »

That is what I get for staying up all night and only managing 5 to 6 hours of sleep a day. Tongue

I withdraw the amendment.

I thought he was arguing that they shouldn't be used by businesses as a means of lowering the base rates below the level of the minimum wage.

Just a quick question though, if such was counted towards the minimum, wouldn't that mean a workers base wage would fluctuate on a weekly basis? If they got less this week in tips/commissions then the previous, it would still have to add up to equal the minimum, correct?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 12:09:54 AM »

If someone could give me answer that would be most helpfull. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 10:52:43 AM »

It could be a little - I'm assunimg it would largely follow the comparative size of the market. Do you have any other thoughts?

Well as I said, since the minimum wage is so much higher then in the RL, it is likely that a lot of what about be higher than minimum wage jobs at $8, $9 and $10 dollars an hour would be caught up in that and thus included in a much large pool of minimum wage jobs at the new $12 minimum. The point was that 2/3rds of minimum wage earners work for large corporations in RL, but since the minimum wage is so much higher, my thoughts are that a lot of small businesses are higher than minimum wage in RL but not higher than $12 an hour and so it is probably likely that a much large proportion of minimum wage earners work for small biz in Atlasia than in RL.
Good point, but would this dynamic be much less the case for large businesses?

Wouldn't the smaller businesses have less carrying capacity for higher paid workers then larger ones? The larger ones minimize labor costs to maximize profit, but when they do, they can afford to pay certain people much higher amounts because they have larger revenues, easier access to credit, etc ec. Hmm, think of regulatory capture, the big businesses can afford the lobbyists, consultants and attorneys to get around and it it is the small ones that take hit, in that case it concentrates the market share in the larger company. In terms of labor mix, they can afford the high end, but prefer to keep as many on the low end as possible. Small businesses might be more generous in rewarding good workers with raises, but their financial limitations still keep them in a relatively low range. Thus when you plow the minimum wage up through that range, small business takes proportionally more of hit, then they do if you raised the RL rate to say $8.00 from where it is now.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 12:58:11 AM »

The only question I have now is whether Nappy intended to force them to count or allow them to do so. It is the different between "shall" or "may" above.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 11:11:23 AM »

No response in twelve hours, this may be good enough for some legisltures, BUT IT IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE ATLASIAN SENATE!!! Tongue

I was overdo for a Band of Brothers reference. Wink
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 12:47:25 AM »

And man who doesn't know what he is talking about, automatically assumes that is someone else who doesn't rather than him. Classy Marokai. Tongue

I am waiting to know if that text is satisfactory, no it isn't a proposed amendment until I know for sure.

I should know whether it is or not, I am the one who harped on the distinction as a way to avoid LONG AND POINTLESS VOTES if possible, and unlike some people I don't forget the things I create when I go to use them, like someone did, many times over. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 01:02:48 AM »

So I was right, somehow, the first time when I misread your typoed post. Tongue

Now I just have to find a way to reverse the withdrawal.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 01:03:52 AM »

I am just going to treat it as a new amendment.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 12:22:01 AM »

Status: Objection Entered by Senator Hagrid, Senators the above amendment is now at vote, please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain. 
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2012, 02:48:48 AM »

Abstain

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2012, 12:44:15 AM »

I think that as part of giving the regions more authority here, we should let them determine whether to go through this and they can taylor it in such ways as to reduce the burden of implementing such a standard. It would force dramatic shifts on the part of a lot of small businesses and on employers who have been doing this in the other four regions, to then make them shift over night and likely result in a lot of unnecessary job losses. The only way to do that would be to slowly implement it over time.

So I change my vote to nay.

Never took you for the "pro-business" type, Marokai. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2012, 12:48:58 AM »

Vote on Amendment 51:18:

Aye (3): Ben, Franzl, and Scott
Nay (3): Hagrid, Marokai Blue, and Sbane
Abstain (1): NC Yankee (I was 22 minutes too late. Sad)

Didn't Vote (3): Bacon King, NVTownsend and Redalgo

The amendment is tied and the VP shall break the tie. Another pitifull performance, not for it being contentious, but because the lack of votes prevented potentially concluded without a tie breaker. 5-5 is fine, 3-3 is a disagrace.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2012, 11:41:35 PM »

WTF, I am sure I even PM him directly, too. Angry
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2012, 12:30:21 AM »

oh, well in that case hurry up. Tongue

And next time please post that communication is occuring on the matter behind the scenes. Otherwise, I might get worried this might end up like my request for a VP debate did. Wink
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2012, 12:40:00 AM »

As far as I understand the situation, this sort of a change in the way the minimum wage is calculated for these jobs, could negate any kind of easing of the cost of doing business that would hopefully boost hiring by passing this bill, and possibly lead to job loss in several businesses as they are forced to absorb this all at once.

Therefore, I also urge the Labor VP to consider the consequences on these potentialy layed off workers and have that in mind when making his decision.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2012, 12:19:37 AM »

Same here.

I could type something up, but it would be tomorrow before I could have it ready.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies