SENATE BILL: Right Wages for the Right Regions Act (On the President's Desk) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:02:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Right Wages for the Right Regions Act (On the President's Desk) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Right Wages for the Right Regions Act (On the President's Desk)  (Read 5901 times)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« on: September 30, 2012, 03:05:14 AM »
« edited: September 30, 2012, 03:18:15 AM by President Napoleon »

Well even Marokai can produce one or two worthwhile things every once and a while. I would hate to see anything bad happen to this, so I would recommend postign why this is a good idea within the next 24 hours. Evil Tongue

Both you and Marokai felt the Living Wage Act was a "worthwhile thing"is not long ago.

I have a few concerns with this proposal. I do believe a never ending cycle of raising and lowering the minimum wage is more harmful to business in the medium-to-long term. This proposal will also somewhat "un-do" my tax cut on lower-income families. Minimum wage earners receiving a pay cut will not only have less money to feed their families; they will not be able to contribute that spending to the economy directly and quickly, and it isn't likely the CEOs and corporate execs that will be keeping that cash aren't likely to either. With the work week hours cuts, many are working fewer hours than previously. Reducing the minimum wage therefore has a larger proportional affect on available income for employees.

The economy is improving, the increase in jobs will continue to snowball, we're adding more and more each day. I don't know if this bill actually contributes to the improvement as its being marketed.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 03:24:05 AM »

While I'll be voting in favor of this bill, how would everyone feel about expanding Section 4 of the Living Wage Act to allow more/longer tax deductions for small firms in regions who don't reduce back from $12 (or at the very least, such assistance for firms who faced undue economic duress between when the new minimum came into effect in July and now).

I am very much in support of an extension of the assistance provided via Section 4. One year is probably an acceptable duration at this point in the recovery. I would still like to be convinced on the minimum wage decrease.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 01:40:23 AM »

I am still not hot on this bill but I would appreciate it if the Senate considers an amendment that guarantees tips and commissions do count toward an hourly wage minimum.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 12:41:52 AM »
« Edited: October 11, 2012, 12:52:12 AM by President Napoleon »

I am still not hot on this bill but I would appreciate it if the Senate considers an amendment that guarantees tips and commissions do count toward an hourly wage minimum.

I'm pretty sure the President meant tips and commissions can be counted towards the minimum wage...I object to the amendment.

I want to prohibit tips and commissions from being counted toward a minimum wage...I made a typo in my first post, but I will not sign the bill with this amendment being added, that allows that to happen. Sorry.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm pretty sure the President meant tips and commissions can be counted towards the minimum wage...I object to the amendment.

I'm not really sure I understand why that is desirable..?

If restaurants can pay their employees less, they can hire more of them. This way we can ensure they at least get the minimum wage and we create more jobs.

While the scope of this amendment would affect more than just restaurants, the food service industry would certainly be the most impacted, I believe, and the thing is, restaurants tend to hire enough people to serve their clientele, but they won't usually have extra people there to stand around even if they could afford it (restaurant activity peaks and lulls at various points throughout the day), so my estimate is that the job market would remain static but that employees would benefit.

Keep in mind, how much people tip varies wildly depending on location.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 11:42:14 PM »

We are discussing the bill, please hold. Tongue
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 11:58:44 PM »

Yeah, I'd have no problem with that. Assuming the president wouldn't just veto the final bill anyway.
Smiley
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 12:52:56 AM »

I prefer the first option, but I would accept the latter if it would avoid a veto.. Tongue

I see no daylight between the two.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 12:28:45 AM »

$17,000- annual income for minimum wage earning full time employee at $10.50
$20,000- annual income for minimum wage earning full time employee at $12.00

This bill could cost lower income Atlasians up to $3,000 annually before taxes. This is the reality of the economy.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 03:18:58 PM »

I still think it boils down to the basic principle of "jobs." This bill will create more of them.

Any evidence for that claim? Smiley
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 06:37:28 PM »

VETO
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 07:22:36 PM »

I must say I am surprised we are having this argument.

What argument?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 07:49:40 PM »

I'd love a GM analysis on how the job market has been affected by our nation's extremely high minimum wage.

The minimum wage is not extremely high, it sits comfortably between the comparative amount that Ireland and France use for their minimum wage.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 03:13:28 AM »

Simfan, this isn't an argument. It's President Napoleon.

Don't be absurd. I'm always welcome to have a debate. The Senator made a vague post and I feel compelled to inquire about what he means specifically.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies