What to do with Hitler's birth house in Braunau ? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:45:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  What to do with Hitler's birth house in Braunau ? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What should be done (read article below) ?
Turn it into a memorial

Turn it into apartments

Tear this 500-year old house down and create something else (please post)

Let this 500-year old house stand and create something else (please post)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 76

Author Topic: What to do with Hitler's birth house in Braunau ?  (Read 8277 times)
ingemann
YaBB God

« on: September 29, 2012, 06:26:42 PM »

Who gives a damn, Hitler isn't and wasn't some kind of supernatural evil, whose birth tainted the
house forever. He was just a man like everybody else, yes he was behind some of the worst act
of brutality in the 20th century, but that doesn't change the first part.
As for what to use the house for, avoid neo-nazis using it, but beside that use it for apartments
or a museum.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 12:20:41 PM »

Tear it down and leave the land barren.

Let us tear a 500 year old house down because we don't like a guy born in it. Afterward we can have a nice little public book burning.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 03:53:50 PM »

Some sort of memorial or museum. I doubt people would want to say they live in the Hitler House.

I wouldn't care, if the rent was affordable and the facilities up to date, I would not care who had lived in the house before.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 03:29:02 PM »

Tear it down completely, and build a holocaust memorial museum in its place. 

There's too many of those.

Well, an exhibition about how the people from Braunau and surroundings reacted to the fact "their son" had become the leader of Germany, what happened after 1938, when Austria became part of Germany, and how they dealt with it after 1945, might actually be interesting and out of the usual.
Otherwise, I agree - holocaust memorials should be where the crimes were committed (concentration camps, collection places, etc.), not at one of the criminal's birthplace (of which there are quite a few more across Germany and Austria).

So there will be one more empty museum.

"We are already stigmatized," Johannes Waidbacher told the Austrian daily Der Standard. "We, as the town of Braunau, are not ready to assume responsibility for the outbreak of World War II."
But a bit of self-reflection might be appropriate. I am pretty sure the town of Braunau acted less restrained between 1933 and 1945.

Seeing that Hitler and the Nazis only came to power in Austria in 1938, I don't think the periode of 1933-38 is really relevant, and as only a few living people was adult or even alive at the time, I don't think much self reflection is really necessary.

P1: You should reflect over what you did in 1938-1945.
P2: Well at the time my Opa and my Oma was going in school together, so what is it really I should reflect over?
P1: you have inherited a collective guilt over your ancestors action at the time.
P2: ....okaaaay... that's a interesting perspective (move away as in a fast walk).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies