Opinion of hoodies
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:21:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of hoodies
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Opinion of hoodies
Freedom Clothing

Horrible Clothing

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Opinion of hoodies  (Read 1994 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2012, 11:10:10 AM »

horrible, they make you look like a slob. and no there is no way to dress them up, sorry.

Seconded. No way to make a hoodie look good. Ever.

Not for you guys, obviously.  I, however, look good in anything.

I like hoodies, and do wear them sometimes, but only (strictly) the zippered kind - the pull-over ones are one of the most horrible clothings ever devised.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2012, 11:27:30 AM »

I like hoodies, and do wear them sometimes, but only (strictly) the zippered kind - the pull-over ones are one of the most horrible clothings ever devised.

I second this. Also, a classy Ralph Lauren Polo hoodie looks good on anybody of any age.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2012, 11:36:31 AM »

I second this. Also, a classy Ralph Lauren Polo hoodie looks good on anybody of any age.

I only buy old second hand hoodies from the Olden Times - usually with a fair percentage of polyester, very soft, well broken in, and with a nice drape rather than the bulky ones from the 1990s.  So.. seeking out hoodies from the early-to-mid eighties and even late seventies is like finding diamonds in the haystack, believe me - not easy.  Thankfully I do have a small collection of them.

But I don't think I could ever stoop to wearing something new, particularly from Ralph Lauren.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2012, 11:36:52 AM »

I don't mind them during the winter; I have an LSU hoodie I wear then.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2012, 11:37:44 AM »

horrible, they make you look like a slob. and no there is no way to dress them up, sorry.
Never trust a person who wears nothing but fancy clothes or clothes that can be "dressed up".  People in suits are out to screw you or lie to you.  Preachers, bankers, lawyers, waiters, salesmen, people going to job interviews, church goers, politicos....all horrible people.

Since when do they only "dress up"?

More importantly, why does everyone in a suit have an interest in "screwing" people?

Nah he's right in general, people who wear suits usually tend to be out to screw you. But applying that to preachers and churchgoers, lol. They don't dress any differently than people at shows.

I didn't know a polo and cargo shorts was the usual attire for one of the shows you attend. Let alone any ceremonial vestments.

Funny my namesake comes from a shirt I bought at a show last night, and I plan on wearing it to church tomorrow:

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2012, 01:12:08 PM »

Wear em and love em
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2012, 03:05:27 PM »

I've never really cared for them. Not really a fan if the whole "bum day" look. Wink
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2012, 03:14:46 PM »

I'm not a fan personally. They're rather trashy, and I always feel like they're going to choke and suffocate me when I put them over my head. Sad
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2012, 03:32:14 PM »

Like all normal people, I have a bunch of hoodies.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2012, 03:39:14 PM »

Like all normal people, I have a bunch of hoodies.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2012, 03:40:57 PM »

I'm not a fan personally. They're rather trashy, and I always feel like they're going to choke and suffocate me when I put them over my head. Sad

Dude, you have to get the ones with the zippered front.  The pullover ones are stupid.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2012, 03:59:30 PM »

Never trust a person who wears nothing but fancy clothes or clothes that can be "dressed up".  People in suits are out to screw you or lie to you.  Preachers, bankers, lawyers, waiters, salesmen, people going to job interviews, church goers, politicos....all horrible people.

More importantly, why does everyone in a suit have an interest in "screwing" people?

Nah he's right in general, people who wear suits usually tend to be out to screw you. But applying that to preachers and churchgoers, lol. They don't dress any differently than people at shows.

What kind of shows do you go to where...
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2012, 04:55:00 PM »

I hate them, and I never wear them. My standard dress is usually jeans and a polo shirt.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2012, 06:02:45 PM »

The word itself, hoodie, bothers me.  It is a hooded sweatshirt dammit. I have one or two that I bum around in.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2012, 06:56:58 PM »

Neutral.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2012, 07:30:01 PM »

Wonderful. I wear them as often as possible.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2012, 09:30:22 PM »

Deliberate obtuseness or not, the implication of people at a hardcore show dressed in medaeval vestments is rather funny.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2012, 10:17:45 PM »

That painting is of priests. My church does not have priests.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2012, 06:37:23 AM »

That painting is of priests. My church does not have priests.

No priests? So it's all deacons/bishops? Regardless...
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2012, 07:58:09 AM »

I hate them, and I never wear them. My standard dress is usually jeans and a polo shirt.

So, your standard dress is precisely the same level of 'dressed down' as the hoodie.  But what do you wear when it gets chilly?  Does it every get chilly where you live?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2012, 08:16:23 AM »

So, your standard dress is precisely the same level of 'dressed down' as the hoodie.  But what do you wear when it gets chilly?  Does it every get chilly where you live?

I know it got cold in... 77? I know the Herald used its Declaration of War-point font for its headline. May have been 74. I think y'all got some cold in 2010 as well, right? Other than that...
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2012, 08:19:38 AM »

...what do you wear when it gets chilly?  Does it every get chilly where you live?

I know it got cold in... 77? I know the Herald used its Declaration of War-point font for its headline. May have been 74. I think y'all got some cold in 2010 as well, right? Other than that...

It very often gets down into the sixties at night here, and more rarely, during Nov-Feb, into the 50s.. so a hoodie is just about right.. or a light jacket, or a cardigan.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2012, 08:27:20 AM »

FC, but I don't do pull over type things anymore.  Too old.  And the flannel is the single best clothing item ever invented....but I suppose a zipup style hoodie could give it a run for the money....though a flannel with a hood would be even better...but I don't like the way they look unless they are more coat than shirt.

I have a bright red pullover hooded garment.  I call it a hooded pullover sweatshirt as it is made of the thick cotton material, has no zipper, and has a hood.  I wore it yesterday.  I wear it when I'm cycling and it is below about 65 degrees but not below about 45 degrees.  My son has quite a few of the hooded sweat garments as well, although his are all zippered jackets.  We call them jackets.  He actually wears them to school.  He's young enough to get away with that.

I voted that I like them, although I loathe the term, and I refuse to use it except just this once (to make a point):  If the poll had asked about calling them "hoodie" I'd have to respectfully vote that it's a horrible name, as are most of the other names marketers come up with. 
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2012, 08:42:23 AM »

There have been several attempts to ban them over here, ftr.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2012, 09:51:07 AM »

I'm not for banning anything, but flannel is for lesbians and lumberjacks.  

I do like the Indian- and Mexican-style pullover hooded garments as well.  Some people call them ponchos.  I have heard them called "mexican hoodies."  ugh.  Anyway, I have one that I bought at an Indian market in Amsterdam and one that I found in a laundry in Guatemala and one made of alpaca fur that I bought in Peru.  They're very comfortable, and reasonably warm.  I wear them more often when I'm walking.  They're not as good for cycling, though.  The wind blows through the knit.  For that, the cotton sweatshirt-material pullover is best.  It also has the advantage of being red.

I also have lots of hooded windbreakers and hooded jackets.  I regard the actual hood as an occasional accessory.  I rarely pull them up, but if it's raining or snowing I might.

By the way, I had no idea till I read this thread that anyone considered hooded outwear as a political statement, but apparently in the UK, US, Canada, and much of the anglophone world it is so perceived.  I found an imagine of a sign in an English pub that reads, "No hoodies," and a reference to Geraldo advising young black folks not to wear "hoodies."  In New Zealand there's apparently a Hoodie Day and one government minister there issued a press release stating that " the hoodie is not an appropriate article of clothing to celebrate."    In Australia, the police have initiated "hoodie-free zones."  Really??  WTF?!  

Ah, well, people are weird about all sorts of things.  

Sometimes you just need a comfortable item of clothing that keeps you warm, is easy to don and remove, and has optional attached headwear so you don't have to keep up with a hat.  I should stop complaining about the ridiculous orwellian newspeak name "hoodie" as well, because it could be worse: in Saskatchewan, apparently they're called "Bunny Hugs."  Ouch.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies