Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 27, 2014, 10:10:00 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Forum Community
| |-+  Off-topic Board (Moderators: Torie, The Mikado, Badger)
| | |-+  MLB stretch run and playoffs thread.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Print
Author Topic: MLB stretch run and playoffs thread.  (Read 2495 times)
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2012, 08:07:28 pm »
Ignore

ABSOLUTELY INEXCUSABLE.

The WORST call in my lifetime easily.  (Don't worry, I was born in 1986 - after 1985.)

That's silly. The Posey call in Game 1 in the 2010 NLDS was a lot more egregious than this one, since it wasn't a judgment call.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2012, 08:14:28 pm »
Ignore

Worst call I have ever seen. I'm done with baseball.  them.
Me too. I hated everything about the NFL scandals recently, but this is something else. This is the final straw in a clear lack of care by both the MLB administration and it's literal gang of haughty evil (not incompetent, evil) umpires. The point can't be made while we still watch. I'm truly done with baseball through the MLB. Just means more soccer/independent baseball for me. I am not going to support this junk anymore.

“The meaning of life is not to be discovered only after death in some hidden, mysterious realm; on the contrary, it can be found by eating the succulent fruit of the Tree of Life and by living in the here and now as fully and creatively as we can”

~~~~Dr. Paul Kurtz (1925-2012)
useful idiot
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2012, 08:27:02 pm »
Ignore

Yeah, as a Braves fan I had a feeling we would lose this one. 5 WS appearances in an 8 year stretch with only one ring sort of turns you into a fatalist. The fact that we finished 6 games ahead of them meant we were destined to lose.

Even though Chipper was leaving and the last component of my childhood team was gone, I was still going to follow the game in the future. No more, however. I am done with baseball, it's been dead for years, we've just now seen the obituary.
Christmas Bushie 2014
BushOklahoma
YaBB God
Kenya

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2012, 08:37:57 pm »
Ignore

St Louis just won't die. Smiley. Goodbye Chipper!

My earlier comment notwithstanding, I do think that the site would be better off if Inks left his position. (The fact that the village idiot has dropped in to express his support for him only confirms this.)
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2012, 08:47:58 pm »
Ignore

You're an insult to the game. Won't miss sharing this league with you.

“The meaning of life is not to be discovered only after death in some hidden, mysterious realm; on the contrary, it can be found by eating the succulent fruit of the Tree of Life and by living in the here and now as fully and creatively as we can”

Christmas Bushie 2014
BushOklahoma
YaBB God
Kenya

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2012, 10:33:33 pm »
Ignore

You're an insult to the game. Won't miss sharing this league with you.

Don't get me wrong, I hate seeing a legendary baller retire, but I am glad St Louis won.

My earlier comment notwithstanding, I do think that the site would be better off if Inks left his position. (The fact that the village idiot has dropped in to express his support for him only confirms this.)
Harry
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2012, 10:36:16 pm »
Ignore

The call is supposed to come much earlier than it did, and Cardinals are lying when they say they heard the call and intentionally didn't catch it.
realisticidealist
YaBB God
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 3.48

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2012, 11:04:03 pm »
Ignore

The Rangers are gone! Hallelujah! All is right with the world at last.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -4.52

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2012, 11:48:50 pm »
Ignore

Braves fans:the people making sure Dodger fans aren't the worst in baseball

Quote from:   Martha Gellhorn for The Atlantic 1961
The unique misfortune of the Palestinian refugees is that they are a weapon in what seems to be a permanent war...today, in the Middle East, you get a repeated sinking sensation about the Palestinian refugees: they are only a beginning, not an end. Their function is to hang around and be constantly useful as a goad. The ultimate aim is not such humane small potatoes as repatriating refugees.
Harry
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2012, 08:41:01 am »
Ignore

Oh whatever.  All 30 fanbases would have reacted that way after being victims of the worst call in all of MLB since 1985.
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2012, 09:19:57 am »
Ignore

No they wouldn't have.  A good fanbase isn't going to do what the idiots did last night.  A northeast team, sure.  Cubs, Oakland, sure.  Dodger fan wouldn't, because he's gone before the 8th inning.  But Cardinals fan?  No way.  Twins fan?  Not going to happen.  Reds, Brewers, probably not.

But that's not why Atlanta has the sh**ttiest fans.  It's the fact that nobody goes to games if the Braves aren't leading the division (despite the fact that they have some of the cheapest tickets in baseball).  They fight for a playoff spot to a half empty stadium.  They've failed to sell out playoff games for Og's sake.

The unique misfortune of the Palestinian refugees is that they are a weapon in what seems to be a permanent war...today, in the Middle East, you get a repeated sinking sensation about the Palestinian refugees: they are only a beginning, not an end. Their function is to hang around and be constantly useful as a goad. The ultimate aim is not such humane small potatoes as repatriating refugees.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2012, 10:30:57 am »
Ignore

Nats in 5
SF in 4

Bal in 5
Det in 4
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2012, 01:51:44 pm »
Ignore

No they wouldn't have.  A good fanbase isn't going to do what the idiots did last night.  A northeast team, sure.  Cubs, Oakland, sure.  Dodger fan wouldn't, because he's gone before the 8th inning.  But Cardinals fan?  No way.  Twins fan?  Not going to happen.  Reds, Brewers, probably not.
Any fanbase who gives that little a sh**t as to sit back and take that sh**t-eating-grin-umpire-ing is one of the problems with baseball, not the "good" fans. Fans loyal to these umps and this Front Office are enemies of baseball as a sport. I hate the Braves, but God bless their resistance.

They are sh**tty for never showing up to games, however.

Boris
boris78
YaBB God
Netherlands

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

P
View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2012, 02:24:18 pm »
Ignore

No they wouldn't have.  A good fanbase isn't going to do what the idiots did last night.  A northeast team, sure.  Cubs, Oakland, sure.  Dodger fan wouldn't, because he's gone before the 8th inning.  But Cardinals fan?  No way.  Twins fan?  Not going to happen.  Reds, Brewers, probably not.

But that's not why Atlanta has the sh**ttiest fans.  It's the fact that nobody goes to games if the Braves aren't leading the division (despite the fact that they have some of the cheapest tickets in baseball).  They fight for a playoff spot to a half empty stadium.  They've failed to sell out playoff games for Og's sake.

Yeah, I'm sure if an umpire were to - hypothetically, of course- make a bad call that would, say, potentially cost the Cardinals the World Series, I'm sure said umpire would never receive any death threats from Cardinals fans and would never have to contact MLB security or the FBI.

Boris
boris78
YaBB God
Netherlands

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

P
View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2012, 02:35:11 pm »
Ignore

Although let's be honest here - Cardinals fans may be the most likely to live in trailer parks, sport neckbeards, mullets, and pedophile moustaches, and consider Busch light to be the pinacle of American brewing, they at least go to games. South Florida probably has the worst and most undeserving-of-sports-championships-fanbase in North America.

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2012, 03:17:33 pm »
Ignore

Any fanbase who gives that little a sh**t as to sit back and take that sh**t-eating-grin-umpire-ing is one of the problems with baseball, not the "good" fans. Fans loyal to these umps and this Front Office are enemies of baseball as a sport. I hate the Braves, but God bless their resistance.
What does being "loyal" to the umps or "this Front Office" have to do with not acting like infants?  There is no reason to rain garbage on to the field because a call doesn't go your way.  There is never a reason to rain garbage on to the playing field.
Yeah, I'm sure if an umpire were to - hypothetically, of course- make a bad call that would, say, potentially cost the Cardinals the World Series, I'm sure said umpire would never receive any death threats from Cardinals fans and would never have to contact MLB security or the FBI.
There is no way fans in Busch Stadium would ever act in the way those in Atlanta did last night.  Yeah, a few fans were stupid in 85, but it's really not the same thing.
Although let's be honest here - Cardinals fans may be the most likely to live in trailer parks, sport neckbeards, mullets, and pedophile moustaches, and consider Busch light to be the pinacle of American brewing, they at least go to games. South Florida probably has the worst and most undeserving-of-sports-championships-fanbase in North America.
I'd bet dollars to donuts that Brave fan is more likely to be what you described than Cardinal fan.  I've lived in both places and the fanbases couldn't be further apart in their knowledge and respect for the game.  Yes, there are asshat Cardinals fans, but they are WAY in the minority.

Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2012, 04:49:13 pm »
Ignore

Joey Votto scares me, so I made a chart to show why.

If that had been in Los Angeles, there wouldn't have been any Dodgers fans there to throw things.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Grumps
GM3PRP
YaBB God
South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islan
View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2012, 06:41:51 pm »
Ignore

The Rangers are gone! Hallelujah! All is right with the world at last.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -8.00

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2012, 09:07:41 pm »
Ignore

what's a playoff run like now that your championship virginity has been broken, Xahar?
R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.09

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2012, 10:05:29 pm »
Ignore

Late to the party but

Reds in 5
Nats in 5

O's in 6
A's in 7

Nats in 7
O's in 6

Nats in 6 as well as in the least watched World Series since 1955

Vacationing in New Jersey 08/23-08/30

Also, it's so R-Money to unabashedly ruin a thousand dollar suit with ice water and laugh about it.
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2012, 12:08:44 am »
Ignore

what's a playoff run like now that your championship virginity has been broken, Xahar?

I find myself much largely resigned to the Giants losing and not all that upset about it.

Update reading list

IDS Attorney General PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2012, 12:16:23 am »
Ignore

I find myself much largely resigned to the Giants losing and not all that upset about it.

We're here and the Dodgers aren't. It's not a championship, but it's cause for celebration in its own right.

Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2012, 12:58:53 am »
Ignore

Update reading list

© tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2012, 08:55:56 am »
Ignore

amazingly low counting stats totals for Votto, even considering he missed 50 games.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2012, 03:15:05 pm »
Ignore

Barry Zito renaissance this year.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Print 
« previous next »