Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2014, 01:51:12 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Gustaf, MasterJedi)
| | |-+  The People's Party (The People's Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20 Print
Author Topic: The People's Party (The People's Thread)  (Read 14332 times)
President Duke
AHDuke99
YaBB God

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2012, 05:36:05 pm »
Ignore

*** Please note, The Party has not be resurrected, The People have not returned to be the heroes Atlasia needs, but this thread may serve as a place to discuss The People's Plight. As the voice of The People, I have the power vested in me to call it The People's Thread. ***

The Mission Statement of The People's Party:
The People's Party is the party of The People. We support idea's that incorporate compromise and pragmatism. We oppose attempts by the federal government to infringe on the rights of our regions, and will be a fighter in Atlasia for regional rights.

While The People recognize the need for the federal government and applaud many of the things it is needed for: collecting taxes, bolstering infrastructure, protecting individual liberties through the courts and congress, The People first and foremost encourage regional level thinking. With strong regional governments comes a strong game with competition uniformly throughout. With more light shed on The People in the lowest level of this nation, the brighter that beacon will shine on the hill of hills. The lowly legislature election will be as contested as a senate election. Unknown Mideast Legislator can have his name in The People's Paper for writing that bill.

Friends, I am not asking you to join a party today, I am asking you to make an alliance with The People, and to know that no matter where you are now, you matter to Us. Our arms are open for you. Let's turn a new page in this game together.

Check us out at  /thepeoplespartytpp

If you are a member, please join this group.

Our bylaws are located here.

Our Founding Document is located here.

Our Members

The Party Members:

Total: 19
Northeast: 6
South: 3
Mideast: 7
Pacific: 3

The Caucus' Members:

Total: 6
Northeast: 1
South: 3
Mideast: 2

The People's Leaders:
Chairman: Duke
Vice Chairman: Senator Nix
Secretary: Cincinnatus

The People's Officeholders:

Federal (6)
Franzl - Senator At-Large
Nix - Northeast Senator
Ben - Mideast Senator
Oakvale - Pacific Senator
Mr. X - Senator At-large
Duke - Vice President

Regional (3)
FezzyFestoon - Northeast Legislator
Bacon King - IDS Legislator
Tallyrand - Mideast Legislator

The People's Platform:

The People's Platform

I. Economics

The main engine driving economic activity is The People, and through The People, government is derived and given its powers. Therefore, it is the government's job as an entity to protect the interests and general welfare through sound regulations to prevent rampant abuse by those who wish harm on the economy. The People recognize sound economic policies that include free trade among nations, as trade is not only important economically, but it also strengthens our foreign policy. If men were angels, we would not need government, but they are not and thus we must have a government for The People and by The People.

It is The People's job to ensure equality. We must have a progressive tax system, one that is fair and allows the government to offer services for the general welfare of The People - including transport and infrastructure and other public works, healthcare, education, and environmental protection. But when fairness is considered, we stress that those taxes must never exceed 50% on an individual's income. Further, The People recognize life is not perfect and people may hit the occasional bump in the road in life. As such, welfare must be a means of assistance to aid people through these difficult times, not a way of life. In summary, we call for an Atlasia that avoids both economic stagnation and extreme economic equality; an Atlasia that the best place in the world for someone with average talents and wealth to be born.

The People recognize businesses, large and small, are necessary in this country. Therefore, we favor a low corporate tax to encourage domestic job creation, keeping The People at work in their home country, not boosting employment numbers overseas. The People also recognize the role certainty plays in the economy. We must be in touch with our business community, large and small, by giving employers certainty when it comes to taxes and other issues that lead to layoffs and a deterioration of investor confidence. Furthermore, we recognize that so long as public services are provided transparently, equitably, and efficiently, it does not matter whether the public or private sector provides them.

In regard to investor confidence, The People recognize a portion of our country derives their income from capital gains and dividends. For the social well being of The People, The Party favors a flat 15% capital gains tax on low and middle income Atlasians, whereas the top 3% earners should pay 20%.

Finally, The People recognize the individual and the family. It is who we are. We recognize the hardships and protections employees experience in their everyday lives. The Party favors a policy of honesty and openness between both employer and employee. While we hold employment policies, including "at will" laws a regional issue, we encourage regional governments to change policies like these. They are archaic and are a tremendous disservice to the employee. They discourage honesty, openness, and job security.

II. Foreign Policy

The People are realists. We recognize that there is evil in this world, and there are groups of people whose basic interests and values conflict with our own. But dealing with this evil does not always begin with bombs and bullets. Diplomacy must be our first line of defense, and we must work to keep the lines of communication open with both our enemies and our allies. The People recognize Atlasia's position in the world. We must lead by example. However, if diplomacy does fail, and a national openly defies the wishes of the international community, The People shall not shy away from using force. Each situation must be handled in its own way.

III. Domestic Policy

Freedom of speech, religion, and love are basic freedoms all human beings must be given. The People do not wish to ever establish a national religion. Further, it is not the government's business who you love, what you do in your bedroom, or what kind of family you belong to. Therefore, we favor marriage and adoption rights for all couples, straight or same sex. The right to privacy, to organize and due process are evolutions of these principles. The People will always favor federal protection of abortion rights - as keeping abortion safe, legal and rare far outweigh the alternatives. It is a woman's decision, and her decision alone, and The People respect this fundamental right. It is the government's job to protect individual liberties from oppression by the majority.

It is The Party's firm belief that we must respond to the rapid decay of Atlasia's infrastructure. Our nation's infrastructure is vital to our economy, health, and ultimately, standard of living. The People believe in cleaner cost-effective energy, safe and reliable drinking water, public recreation for our youth, and a robust transportation system. Large investments and work projects are vital to not only sustaining, but improving living conditions for every Atlasian.

Finally, it is The People's job to protect this country from enemies both foreign and domestic. At home, the destruction of our environment is alarming and poses the greatest potential domestic threat to our homeland. To fight this, we must promote policies that encourage businesses and individuals alike to embrace a healthier and greener way of living that will benefit future generations. We firmly believe in a cap-and-trade system or carbon tax to limit harmful emissions of greenhouse gases and other pollutants. In addition, we recognize that Atlasians flora and fauna are vital to the ecosystem and culture heritage of our nation, and will work to preserve them.

IV. Regionalism

The People recognize individuals participate in both federal and regional government, and each is vitally important to the game. Regional governments are the greatest asset to this country, as they allow for new members to grow, learn and participate in the political process. This allows new members to mold into the leaders of our future. These regional governments are also the closest to The People. As such, we oppose any attempts to do away with regional senate seats.

In order to further promote regional activity, The Party favors the creation of sub-forums so each regional legislature will not feel like second class citizens confined to one or two threads to discuss an entire body of work. By doing this, it is the hope that new members will spend more time in the regional legislatures and grow that than rushing to the federal level. For the beautification of Atlasia, The People encourage relocation within the same region for the purpose of providing residents to all states in the union.

V. Game Reform

The People embrace this philosophy "it is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed." The People believe this nation can do better by abandoning the tired orthodoxies and foraging for new ideas wherever they can be found. We believe regions can administer their own senate elections. We believe we can reform our amendment process. We believe we can make the VP relevant. We believe that one day, regions may be able to administer presidential elections. Most importantly, we believe we can try new things.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 09:57:01 am by VP Duke »Logged

Hotter than a middle eastern climate
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 05:39:27 pm »
Ignore

The sentiment behind this movement appeals to me greatly. Consider me intrigued.

Ready For Hoover '28!
Mechaman
YaBB God
Jamaica

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -8.26

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 06:03:38 pm »
Ignore

I join this party, whatever the hell it stands for.

Spamage
spamage
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 07:51:48 pm »
Ignore

Looks very interesting......

President Duke
AHDuke99
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 07:57:48 pm »
Ignore

Our second governor has joined us! Welcome to the party all! It's an honor to have you for the ride!

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 07:59:46 pm »
Ignore

Make that three. What's our next step, Duke?

Wolfentoad
wolfentoad66
YaBB God
Lebanon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 08:01:27 pm »
Ignore

I don't think I will register as a member of the party, but i'll support the movement.

I will stay home in this next election if we do not have a conservative tea party patriot. I have had enough RINOS
President Duke
AHDuke99
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 08:06:00 pm »
Ignore

I suppose at some point we need to form official bylaws and the like and decide which leadership positions we need. Unlike other parties, I don't really think we need 15 different positions. I want input from everyone. Tmth is already a great recruiter and I am sure he will work on behalf of The People regardless of title. Myself likewise.

Depending on what type of interest we get, we may look at running a candidate in the senate elections, but if we do, I want to be sure they can get elected. One of the goals of this party certainly will encourage anyone, especially new members interested in getting involved, to look to their regional legislatures as a wonderful place to start and to gain experience. That's where I and many other folks got our start. That's a bit of what to expect short term. We are only in the early hours of our existence. Input is always welcome. My door remains open. Wink

AG Simfan
Simfan34
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 08:06:33 pm »
Ignore

I have never been a member of the Liberal Party. I am joining The People's Party.

If we field a candidate in Senatorial elections, I would be glad to stand for The Party in that regards.

R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
Germany

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 08:07:57 pm »
Ignore

As I've just been elected Vice Chairman of the Whig Party, I cannot abandon my elected position, but I'd be honoured, nay PRIVILEGED to be considered as an honorary member of The People's Party.

Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 08:11:44 pm »
Ignore

The People grow stronger with every convert.

I suppose at some point we need to form official bylaws and the like and decide which leadership positions we need.

Leadership?  The People lead us Duke.  We are at their beck and call.
President Duke
AHDuke99
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 08:13:39 pm »
Ignore

I have never been a member of the Liberal Party. I am joining The People's Party.

If we field a candidate in Senatorial elections, I would be glad to stand for The Party in that regards.

Oh, you're welcome to run. The People will support you regardless of our meager numbers so far. Our goal short term will be to compete in regional elections and eventually the senate, but if anyone wants to run now, knowing the odds The Party faces given our infant status, by all means, you will have my support, and I will do all I can to help you win.

As I've just been elected Vice Chairman of the Whig Party, I cannot abandon my elected position, but I'd be honoured, nay PRIVILEGED to be considered as an honorary member of The People's Party.

As long as you hold Our message near and dear, we are honored to have you in our caucus.

AG Simfan
Simfan34
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 08:14:24 pm »
Ignore

Yes, I imagined The People would serve as our leadership.

Must I maintain the pretense The People and the people are synonmous?

Tell that to Nix!

Oh, you're welcome to run. The People will support you regardless of our meager numbers so far. Our goal short term will be to compete in regional elections and eventually the senate, but if anyone wants to run now, knowing the odds The Party faces given our infant status, by all means, you will have my support, and I will do all I can to help you win.

As long as you hold Our message near and dear, we are honored to have you in our caucus.

Will do then!

Mideast Assemblyman Ben
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 08:15:06 pm »
Ignore

Happy to be here

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
oakvale
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 08:16:41 pm »
Ignore

Checking in. Good to be on board!

Senior Associate Justice of the Supreme Court in Atlasia.
I could only wish that I looked like Paul Ryan
GRIMES FOR KENTUCKY SENATOR
tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 08:16:50 pm »
Ignore

I forgive you, Duke.

It's very good to be here! Smiley

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
-Jackie Robinson
President Duke
AHDuke99
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 08:17:04 pm »
Ignore

The People grow stronger with every convert.

I suppose at some point we need to form official bylaws and the like and decide which leadership positions we need.

Leadership?  The People lead us Duke.  We are at their beck and call.

You and I are aware of this, which is what I was hinting at when I said I'd prefer to keep the leadership positions lean and mean. The goal of The People is to have everyone give their input, as ideas from The People can be shared until the Ultimate Authority decides which should stand as our decision.

The People once loomed large in Atlasia. Recently Our voice has been stifled, but no more. We are a force to be reckoned with, and we will help change this game for the better!

Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 08:18:10 pm »
Ignore

Too lazy to read anything. I'll just say that, as a proud servant of The People and one-time correspondent for The People, I'll gladly join the party of The People. I'm just too lazy to formally announce it right now.

President Duke
AHDuke99
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 08:19:36 pm »
Ignore

I forgive you, Duke.

It's very good to be here! Smiley

Feels nice, doesn't it? From the bottom of my heart, I want to thank you. Tmth has always been one to encourage new members to join this wonderful game and has been a champion of both the regional and federal levels of government. Without his work and encouragement, this Movement would not have made it to fruition! 

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 08:25:07 pm »
Ignore

I agree with Duke. Personally, I don't see a need for more than one elected position within the party.

President Duke
AHDuke99
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2012, 08:26:11 pm »
Ignore

Too lazy to read anything. I'll just say that, as a proud servant of The People and one-time correspondent for The People, I'll gladly join the party of The People. I'm just too lazy to formally announce it right now.

Once you're a correspondant for Us, you're always a correspondant. Your service to our newspaper is wonderful, and it is really sad that Atlasia has lost many newspapers over the years - The NWA, The Examiner. Those were some of my favorite parts about this game that the new members don't even know about! They have no idea what they are missing!

oakvale
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 08:26:11 pm »
Ignore

I agree with Duke. Personally, I don't see a need for more than one elected position within the party.

Seconded - party bureaucracy tends to stifle things IMO.

Senior Associate Justice of the Supreme Court in Atlasia.
I could only wish that I looked like Paul Ryan
GRIMES FOR KENTUCKY SENATOR
President Duke
AHDuke99
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2012, 08:29:45 pm »
Ignore

Well, in my past experiences with parties, I have seen many of them fall victim to needless gridlock and a mixed message with no clear direction. In my former party, we had a very streamlined operation, one I have always subscribed to. But with that streamlined model comes a heavy emphasis on allowing everyone to have a say in the eventual decisions. One man will not make the decisions - that will be left to The People. However, less is more - tmth and I and many others involved in the previous era of Atlasia know that Tongue

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2012, 08:30:45 pm »
Ignore

Also, I would like to formally request the party's endorsement in the upcoming Northeast Regional Senate Race. I understand that it is early, but it seems that I am not the only party member who will be running.

tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2012, 08:30:46 pm »
Ignore

As someone who has seen multiple forms of party leadership in the game, here would be my recommendation:

Have an elected Chairman, which would obviously be Duke. There would then be one or two appointed positions that the chairman makes, just to make sure everything gets done. They shouldn't be elected, just appointed. But the positions are needed, I feel, to ensure that this party is ran properly. No pointless positions though, just for the sake of having them.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
-Jackie Robinson
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout